Firefly/Serenity

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuggett

Reaction score
This weekend while spending some quality down time I was catching up on some movies that I've wanted to see but hadn't take the time. Got to love Netflix on demand. Anyway, after a few, netflix suggest the movie Serenity. I had never heard of it but it had a high suggestion rating so I watched it. LOVED IT! Then I discovered it was from a TV series called Firefly. I watched 13 of the 14 total episodes after that. I'm thinking I'll watch the final one tonight.

I can't believe I had never heard of this series or movie before. It's not high budget by any means but the story line and characters are awesome. If you like science fiction at all, this one is sure to please. Give it a very high recommendation.

Any other fans?

PS- There was a pipe siting in an episode or two. Quick but I noticed. :lol:

Oh, yes please!

Also, for those who are reading this thread who have not watched either Serenity or Firefly, watch the show first. Then the movie. Just a really important, spoiler-avoidant suggestion. :D

That's a good suggestion. I'm actually going to go back and watch the movie again after I finish the series up.

Kind of figured you'd like it Irene.
icon_biggrin.png

Indeed. For many reasons at many levels, Firefly is as close to a perfect TV series as has ever been made. (Sez me)

If you haven't seen it, definitely give it a try.

Yes, they were very impressive. I also liked Battlestar Galactica.

Firefly truly is TV perfection. Joss Whedon is a genius. But Firely and his later show, Dollhouse, are works of art that take you into a world that is absolutely magical, while addressing so many points of the darker side of humanity.

The Janitor

P.S. My preferred tobacco blend is a modification of a bulk blend, and I named it Serenity :)

LL":kfdsb820 said:
Indeed. For many reasons at many levels, Firefly is as close to a perfect TV series as has ever been made. (Sez me)

If you haven't seen it, definitely give it a try.
Hear, hear! I only wish it had a longer run... not an agonizing, jump-the-shark run, but a season more would've added a lot. Nobody's fault but the Fox suits, alas.

I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. I was feeling a little strange being so impressed with a TV series. Doesn't usually happen to me.

jhuggett":r964jngh said:
I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. I was feeling a little strange being so impressed with a TV series. Doesn't usually happen to me.
That's what the entire Web World has said for seven years, now, but the asshats at FOX have steadfastly refused to lift a finger in any way.

Hell, it was cancelled because of their own stupidity. They showed the episodes out of sequence (didn't even start with #1), moved the night of the week around, delayed several episodes for Specials of one sort or another, etc. By the time that word-of-mouth had spread, the decision had already been made to kill it.

Absolutely 100% not kidding: If I won a few hundred million in the Powerball, I'd personally bankroll putting it back into production.

Sounds really interesting, haven’t heard of the series before. Maybe I should give it a try.
Thanks for sharing! :alien:

icon_cheers.png
Dollhouse is on Netflix too!!!

Thanks for the heads up on that Janitor. Hadn't heard of it either. Hope my local bars don't close up because I'm sitting at home watching TV.

Damn good sci fi show. I was forcing my wife to watch the episodes on netflix and even she likes it. May not even have to tie her down to watch the movie (I might anyway though, just for fun).

jhuggett":svnyb3qq said:
icon_cheers.png
Dollhouse is on Netflix too!!!
Anything directed by Joss Whedon is excellent. Firefly, Buffy, Dollhouse, Angel...all of it. If you haven't seen it, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog is a fun adventure as well, and actually not as gay as the title otherwise unintentionally implies. =) Promise.

Anyone else think Joss Whedon is a fan of Cowboy Bebop? Couldn't help but see some similarities when I went through Firefly.

Tock the Always":tnycwhyc said:
Anyone else think Joss Whedon is a fan of Cowboy Bebop? Couldn't help but see some similarities when I went through Firefly.
Trigun has some pretty glaring similarities, too.

An American space opera stealing from a Japanese take on the Western? Who does he think he is--George Lucas?

Doc Manhattan":z2o2h0gp said:
Tock the Always":z2o2h0gp said:
Trigun Who does he think he is--George Lucas?
Lucas's success was mostly lucky timing, imo. Space Opera had been around for 50 years before he even thought of it, but the movie tech to give an appealing look just wasn't there. The first guy to translate it to film successfully was gonna win, no matter who it was.

Since then, he's shown himself to be pretty much a hack. His movies have gotten steadily worse while the CGI bang-for-the-buck has increased by two orders of magnitude. That's hard to do.

Anyone else see a similarity between Christina Hendricks' character "Saffron" and Irene Adler? I know Malcolm wasn't in love with her but I could see similarities in her being.

jhuggett":tllx6dv8 said:
Anyone else see a similarity between Christina Hendricks' character "Saffron" and Irene Adler? I know Malcolm wasn't in love with her but I could see similarities in her being.
You're scaring the board, J. Stop that.

Told you it kind of freaked me out how much I got into it. I'm feeling like a trekkie... Oh snap, do they have firefly conventions??? :lol: