First attempt at re-hydrating

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to contradict the excellent advice in this thread, but I'm very very low tech on rehydrating. I fold up a paper towel, run under tap water, give it a good squeeze and toss in the tin/jar/bag for 24-48 hours. Never had a problem or noticed an off taste. Of course all tap water is not created equal, but if you can drink it...
Mike.

That's a more belt and braces approach there Mike, but hey, if it works!

I reopened a tin of Sammy G's SL today that I hadn't visited for a while; after my first foray into the lat weed I wasn't convinced I was going to be a lat fan. For some reason I figured I'd give it another shot only to find it was too dry for my liking so fell back on a bowl of SJF instead. Not wanting to lose the SL I hydrated as per my previous posts to good effect only to find there was no way it was going back into the tin. Good job I bought a bundle of mason jars. Not sure if you chaps across the pond have the delights of Ikea yet but the size I went for were only 80p each and will comfortably hold 100g of baccy. Other sizes and brands available... :geek:

Stick":8hhp3hwt said:
Well, I would have called it lazy, but you are a kinder soul :D
I thought some more about the distilled water point (I really do have too much time on my hands) and realised that distillation is simply heat accelerated evaporation followed by cooling and condensation.  When a water molecule transitions to the gas phase it does not take along solvated ions, which is why distillation works.  So if you do keep the damp towel from touching the tobacco (which I don't) there should be no difference between using tap or distilled water.  I think, and I could be wrong, that the water would evaporate and be absorbed by the tobbaco leaving any ions or other nastiness behind on the towel. Hmmm....  on the other hand, distlled water is cheap enough, so why not use it.
It is amazing how much the flavor profile changes with proper hydration, but the term proper is relative.  I like some blends on the verge of crispiness.
Mike.

Stick":s82g71dk said:

I reopened a tin of Sammy G's SL today that I hadn't visited for a while; after my first foray into the lat weed I wasn't convinced I was going to be a lat fan.  For some reason I figured I'd give it another shot only to find it was too dry for my liking so fell back on a bowl of SJF instead.  Not wanting to lose the SL I hydrated as per my previous posts to good effect only to find there was no way it was going back into the tin.  Good job I bought a bundle of mason jars.  Not sure if you chaps across the pond have the delights of Ikea yet but the size I went for were only 80p each and will comfortably hold 100g of baccy.  Other sizes and brands available... :geek:
In my opinion, Squadron Leader smokes way better fully dry. I usually leave the lid of the tin for a week...it's really tasty and so easy to smoke dry.

Bugsahearn":l2p7nfbp said:
In my opinion, Squadron Leader smokes way better fully dry. I usually leave the lid of the tin for a week...it's really tasty and so easy to smoke dry.
To be fair I have little experience of smoking SL, I just applied my recent findings with other baccys where being well hydrated seemed to reveal a greater range of flavours. I'll experiment with this though, and allow some SL to dry well before smoking.

Continuing on my rehydrating experiences / experiments...

I discovered my mason styled jars have a recess inside the lip so figured I could use that to my advantage. I cut a piece of shaped plastic from a water bottle and used this to trap a folded wad of damp kitchen roll inside the lid. This in effect created a ledge high inside the lid that kept the damp wad well away from the 'baccy. Works a treat!

Stick":sby1r7fs said:
Continuing on my rehydrating experiences / experiments...

I discovered my mason styled jars have a recess inside the lip so figured I could use that to my advantage.  I cut a piece of shaped plastic from a water bottle and used this to trap a folded wad of damp kitchen roll inside the lid.  This in effect created a ledge high inside the lid that kept the damp wad well away from the 'baccy.  Works a treat!
Ace job, looks like you've got it sorted mate. Jolly well done, sounds like the Mutts!

Cheers,

RR

Here is one quick easy way:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wP8V6YEwKVY" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Then there is this one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IeeYuaR6Sm8" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>