First Frog Morton

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobostro61

Reaction score
Well, I've been reading how many of you like the Frog Morton tobaccos and decided to give it a try.  My tin (Plain Frog Morton) was delivered today and I just went out and smoked my first bowl.  It definitely is an interesting tobacco.  I've been smoking a lot of McClelland Virginia #22, Peterson Sweet Killarney, Davidoff Red & Green, and a few others.  First experience...  Not bad.  A bit mild and a little perfumy tasting.  That the Latakia?  I'll definitely smoke a few more to get acclimated to a different tobacco than I'm used to but I do like it.

The plain Frog Morton isn't my favorite. I would highly recommend trying Frog Morton Cellar. That's probably my favorite, with On the Town behind that one. I haven't tried on the bayou or across the pond yet, so those could be better.

If you're getting smoky, sweet/tangy, creaminess, in FM, that's your latakia...so yeah, the perfumy-ness is almost certainly coming from the Lat.

FWIW, FM Cellar is my least favorite in the line. I don't smoke many aromatics, and Cellar seems to me to basically be the original with a bourbon/aro topping. Usually, if I'm specifically in the mood for latakia I'm specifically NOT in the mood for aromatics. You may be totally different, so don't put too much stock in what I'm saying.

I do like FM Bayou, but for my money there are better VaPerLats out there. I like Across the Pond too, but it's much lighter and subtler than the rest of the line. I think if you want to try it, it's best smoked in a large bowl to give it enough time for the flavors to start to come alive.

My favorite is still the original, which I smoke very frequently. OTT is good, too, and my second favorite in the line up.

zjgilbert":1i73d5sx said:
 Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight he'll just kill you.                                                                                    
True! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 

AJ

ajn27511":dqult1lt said:
zjgilbert":dqult1lt said:
 Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight he'll just kill you.                                                                                    
True! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 

AJ

Fact^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this!

Old Farts Society

My biggest complaint with the FM series has to do with whatever casing or topping is used on it. The tin aroma seems to be a common theme throughout McC's Canterbury series. It mutes the aroma of the Latakia quite a bit which I am sure is by design. Not only is it not my cup of tea but it also bites me pretty good as well. I found OTT so be the most bitely. As far as McClelland's Latakia mixtures go I really like Wilderness, Blue Mountain, Cyprian Star (similar to OTT w/o the topping) and British Woods.

Of the Frog series I found ATP to be the most pleasurable. Mild yes, but still quite delicious. I have a tin of the Cellar, but I still haven't tried it.

When I first tried Frog Morton I was less than impressed I put it in a mason jar and left it there for about 2 months. Like a lot of tobaccos i have tried it was markedly better after a couple of months in the dark.

My interest in frog and also cellar waned very rapidly. Gave and threw some away. Just not my cup of tea.

I can see why the Frogs are hugely popular, they are crossovers after all, which is probably the same reason the Frogs don't float the Cheerios of a significant number of other puffers.

Me? I like and cellar the Cellar, the On the Town and the Original.

I like the Frog Cellar, OTT and ATP.
Have several tins of each.

Bobostro61":lwt4hlw7 said:
Well, I've been reading how many of you like the Frog Morton tobaccos and decided to give it a try.  My tin (Plain Frog Morton) was delivered today and I just went out and smoked my first bowl.  It definitely is an interesting tobacco.  I've been smoking a lot of McClelland Virginia #22, Peterson Sweet Killarney, Davidoff Red & Green, and a few others.  First experience...  Not bad.  A bit mild and a little perfumy tasting.  That the Latakia?  I'll definitely smoke a few more to get acclimated to a different tobacco than I'm used to but I do like it.
One of my favorites!

"Frog Morton" is what I consider a "21st Century" tobacco. It's a bit weird to some folks. English? Aromatic?

I sip it slow and have nothing negative to say about it.

Best,

When I first tried the so-called "plain" Frog Morton, my initial thought was "where have you been all my life?" I still feel the same way. I've cellared several cans of each of the FM blends, but the original is the one I go to most often. I found FM Cellar a bit too sweet for me, and FM OTT to be like a generic English blend. I haven't yet tried Across the Pond or on the Bayou, but their turn will come. In the meantime, that beautiful Latakia taste and fragrance of FM envelopes my evenings in delightful wreaths of pleasure. To avoid tiring of it, I smoke a tin or two of something else in between.

Now, I have a Frog Morton anecdote to share with you. Last May at the Chicago Pipe Show, I was chatting with Mary Macneil, and a gentleman came up and asked her "do you know anything about Frog Morton?"" I imagine he assumed that a mere woman couldn't know anything about tobacco. With one voice I said "she is Frog Morton," and she said "I am Frog Morton." Then we both cracked up laughing.

I tried the Frog Morton and hated it.  I couldnt even finish a bowl.  I guess my tastebuds weren't in the mood for it.  I may try some in the cellar later on down the road.  I ended up giving the brand new tin away to someone who loved it. BTW, im slowly getting to where I can enjoy Latakia. I am smoking some aged Sutliff no 5 and enjoying it, when im in the mood for it though.

I believe if I had to, I could easily accept Frog Morton as my only latakia blend.  Offhand, I can't think of any others that I could say this about.  Come to think of it, there have been times when it actually was my only latakia blend.

I love Frog Morton even though it is a very light English. The way it smokes is perfect however never bites, never smokes hot, and has good flavor.

The Frog Mortons definitely aren't your traditional lat blends. Every once in a while I like a bowl of lat, but I find with the Frog Mortons, I can and do smoke them regularly. Just a nice smoke for me, personally, but as others have said, I can understand why many wouldn't care for it.