First pipe for a customer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mejoshee

Reaction score
I was recently commissioned to make a pipe for a guy from Spain (via Germany). He was here for some 6 odd weeks for work and got to chatting about all the sorts of things pipe smokers do. I showed him some in-progress work and he immediately asked for a pipe. "His" shape is a bit of a gray-area: tall pot, straight walled, saddle stem. Not entirely "right" compared to the traditional slightly canted, slightly rounded billiard family, but it was nice to try it out.

I was definitely trepidatious--not a huge undertaking per se, but a challenge that had not been presented me thus far as a newbie. I've had some practice on other blocks and stems but have not made many yet that I would deem worthy of selling outright. Nevertheless, I rolled up my sleeves and got to work with his request. I added a shank accent of cocobolo and contrast stained it with light brown dye. I thought I'd humbly submit it here for your perusal.

I learned a lot on this project--how to hand cut a stem, in particular. There's still more I need to work on, but he's happy nonetheless.

Some notes on the pics in anticipation of comments:
  • Yes, I'm aware the color is off on the 1st pic; not sure why. It's actually consistent with the hue of the other pics in real life.
  • Also, it does appear that at least from one or another angle, the pipe has dings, but I think that's all in the light; it's entirely smooth and scratch-free.
  • The smudges on the stem are not scratches, but from handling prior to photos. I'll take better quality pics in my light box when I get the chance.
  • And yes, I seem to have a slightly off stem-to-shank junction. Admittedly, I'm not happy with this part. If you noticed it, good for you. If not, I beg your forgiveness.

No need to be humble about this creation Josh; it looks like a cracking piece of workmanship. Apart from the overall quality, the shape really appeals to me. Great work mate!

Excellent. Classic shape and sweet grain. Great Job! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Your first sale is as sweet as your first kiss. I think many of us have the feeling "Why would anyone buy a pipe from me? There are so many better carvers out there." when we first start. But once you sell one, the doubts start receding.

That is a dandy Josh! very impressive and darn nice grain too :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Looks fine and rack-worthy to me, in all respects. Love how the shank accent is understated. Needs a cool-looking maker's stamp.

Looks like a fine effort to me. Plus the only thing that really matters in a sale is the buyers opinion. If they are happy then you should be as well.

Looks good to me Josh. If your customer likes it then dance all the way to the bank. :)

AJ

I really like it Josh, very well done sir!

Mr. B is right, it does need some sort of fancy Maker's stamp.