First Pipe Staining

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draagha

Reaction score
If you hadn't read my post in PAD, I am currently wanting to refurbish old pipes. Well I finally got my Fieblings today so I figured I'd get to it.

Here is the pipe before the first stain.

I have only applied one coat of black to it now. Later I will sand this down till majority of the black has faded and I will then apply dark red to it.
HOPEFULLY I will get a bloodbath type look.

(Sorry for the poor quality on the picture of the top, best I could get of the way the grain shows at the top.)

Most excellent, but details please. One coat or two? Buffed with steel wool, tripoli, or such?  
    Everyone seems to have a different little flourish they use and I love to hear what works, doesn't work or OMG, guess what I just discovered.

Two coats, and I buffed by hand to get it a slightly shiny matte finish. 8) 

Get yourself some ISO chap, after each coat you apply use a cotton wool ball soaked in ISO and wipe off the excess stain, then re-apply stain. When you do the final coat make sure you apply just enough to make the stain take, also use a soft fluffy pipe cleaner bent in two and then twisted to leave a sort of slight oval shape at the end where the bend is to apply the stain. When you wipe off the final coat of stain make sure the cotton wool ball is not 'dripping wet', don't want to strip all the dye off. :)

You have done a great job but there is too much stain still on the stummel, as you smoke it the stain will bleed off into your skin mate, you'll find you get a much nicer finish when you apply the stain slowly and in several passes. ;)