First pipe weed order in almost a decade.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggman

Reaction score
I received a little box yesterday from smoking pipes with a few tins and some bulk. I purchased 4ozs of star of the east bulk. I had forgotten how great this stuff is. I got a tin of Mac Baren The Solent Mixture, Mac Baren Cherry Ambrosia and Three Nuns.

I had a couple tins of the original 3nuns and loved it. So I’m going to give it a try. For some reason I haven’t been a aromatic fan in a very long time but I want to try a cherry blend.

It's always good when orders come in, i get excited watching the tracking. I have never tried any of those blends, hope you enjoy.

@eggman: you're aware the current version on Three Nuns has Kentucky instead of Perique? But the new Three Nuns Green has Perique and Kentucky.
I heard that the closest thing to the Tree Nuns with Perique is Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.

Congratulations Eggman I don't think I could go that long without an order of some sort lol.

Hope you really enjoy them

Jim

Davy Jones":atj5r826 said:
@eggman: you're aware the current version on Three Nuns has Kentucky instead of Perique? But the new Three Nuns Green has Perique and Kentucky.
I heard that the closest thing to the Tree Nuns with Perique is Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.
@Davy Jones yes I found that out after I already orderd it. But this mixture sounds interesting. I am already planning on ordering some of that next go around. If hindsight was 20/20 I’d have stocked up on 3 nuns and 965 15 years ago.

eggman":tufylx9u said:
Davy Jones":tufylx9u said:
@Davy Jones yes I found that out after I already orderd it. But this mixture sounds interesting. I am already planning on ordering some of that next go around. If hindsight was 20/20 I’d have stocked up on 3 nuns and 965 15 years ago.
Me too. And Capstan, St Bruno, Royal Yacht, Erinmore Flake, University Flake. ;)

Davy Jones":jadzz3tw said:
eggman":jadzz3tw said:
Davy Jones":jadzz3tw said:
Me too. And Capstan, St Bruno, Royal Yacht, Erinmore Flake, University Flake. ;)
I never got to sample Royal Yacht and Erinmore. I’ve always heard they were love em or hate em blends. They both had cult like following.

eggman":2xd2xzdm said:
Davy Jones":2xd2xzdm said:
eggman":2xd2xzdm said:
Davy Jones":2xd2xzdm said:
I never got to sample Royal Yacht and Erinmore. I’ve always heard they were love em or hate em blends. They both had cult like following.
Yes, they are, especially the Erinmore Flake.

Blackhorse":xhvgtzwr said:
Great selection.  The Solent is a real “under the radar” blend. Good stuff for sure but mostly overlooked. Let us know what you think of it.
I concur with your opinion, BH. I have about 5 or 6 tins on hand and it's a surprisingly good blend. It is more complex than Plumcake, the rum casing is elegant, you can actually taste the Latakia even though it's in small proportion and the burleys are really good, giving the blend just enough backbone. I enjoy it a lot every time I open a tin.

Thanks guys. The reviews on it were mostly good. I couldn’t figure out though why it was over 18.00 a tin when most other Mac Barens tins were around 11 a tin

eggman":o67h553q said:
Thanks guys. The reviews on it were mostly good. I couldn’t figure out though why it was over 18.00 a tin when most other Mac Barens tins were around 11 a tin
They've always had different categories of prices depending on the tobacco: Scottish Mixture, Plumcake, Black Ambrosia, Virginia no 1, etc, being around $9; and Roll Cake, The Solent Mixture, Dark Twist, and the HH series being around $13 (all for 100g format, of course). There was a significant increase, literally overnight, about 3 or 4 years ago, fairly brutal, and an adjustment was made about 18 months ago.
An increase was certainly warranted as their tobaccos were really inexpensive for the great quality but it was not progressive at all, which hurt their sales for a while. Now, it's much better.

And when the retailers throw a 15% discount on them it's very close to the good ol' prices. ;)