First safety razor shave

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
Bought a Micro Touch One at the local Walgreens and used it for the first time this morning.  Ears, nose and mustache are still in place and intact, so I guess I passed the first test  :cheers: !

You'll be "safe" as long as you don't move the blade sideways. What were you using before?

Great move. I've been using a DE razor for just shy of a year now and I'll never look back. I actually look forward to shaving now and do so every day. It is perhaps the only part of the day that I dedicate solely to myself, to the point where it's almost hypnotic. And as for the results... incredibly close shave. Huge savings to be made too. Blades cost me £10 for 100 and these will last me at least 18 months. Soaps / creams are cheap enough too and tend to go a long way.

Yup, great move!

Richard Burley":auv3q0t4 said:
You'll be "safe" as long as you don't move the blade sideways. What were you using before?
An old RL that takes Trac II blades...

ralph%20razor_zpstmtyofe8.jpg

Always keep in mind that every razor, every blade, and every razor/blade pairing shave differently. That's one of the things nobody talks about: how expensive the research & development can be with DE shaving. I say this because you'll often see "pros: cheaper than cartridge shaving". It's misleading and not very often the case. You can so easily get sucked into scents and qualities of soaps. You can get sucked into a fascination for hardware. But even if you escape those temptations, just to find the best equipment for yourself, it can be costly. I think you can say this for all of shaving, but because we borrow our dad's razor for our first shave or maybe try an electric or two, we don't fully acknowledge the fact that if we tailored the shaving experience to the best possible results, you'd be spending some cash on the research. No matter how you shave, it costs you money at the beginning. It's one of those things you cannot escape in shaving...unless you simply don't do it and settle for a lesser shave (that you don't realize is a lesser shave because you haven't done the research to know otherwise).

I picked up a couple vintage Gillette safety razors when I started. I bought a huge sample pack of blades from an online retailer because I had no clue what the difference was. It was still relatively cheap. I discovered that some blades were terrible, others cut so clean and smooth I didn't need to use anything but a little pre-shave oil. Much cheaper than the quintuple razor cartridges that cost an arm and a leg. The balms, creams, oils, and aftershaves are what seems to run up my bill.

I agree, great move.

I have been using a Merkur HD 34C for the last 3 years & I actually enjoy shaving now. At first I too went a little nuts on the shave creams, trying products out to see what I liked. I bought a few samplers from Maggard Razors. After trying all the Taylor's and Trumper's as well as a few others, I found that I much prefer good old Proraso Green in the tube. My only extravagance, and it's a minor one, is Pre De Provence after-shave balm.

I only shave a couple times a week and I haven't bought blades, cream or balm in a long time. The cost savings is quite remarkable even when compared to shaving with disposables and Barbasol.

I continue to use an adjustable Gillette DE razor from the late 60's. These days I shave my neck about once a week. My choice of soap is either aerosol applied with a brush or Williams shaving soap. I get a good shave and no need to purchase the Trac-2 or whatever. It works and it is inexpensive.

Stinger