First try at Shrimp Creole

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I have been having a hankering for some shrimp creole. Found a recipe on the internet. Taste pretty good for a first try.
20210116_112516.jpg

A favorite in my house when eating meat of Fridays was banned and still a pre-Vatican-2 rule. Mom made this and it was great to get whiff of the fragrant aroma of tomato sauce, peppers, shrimps....... My job was to shell and clean the shrimps.

I still make this classic, once in a while...but it ain't the same.

G'day Mike,

That looks and sounds delicious, would you mind sharing the recipe?

Creole or Cajun cooking isn't big here in Aus but when I've had it I've loved it.

Thanks,

Tim

tter from Scratch
shrimp creole recipes from tastesbetterfromscratch.com

Feb 20, 2020 — How to Make Shrimp Creole: Sauté veggies. Add butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Add flour and spices. Deglaze the pan with wine (if using) and then add chicken stock, tomatoes, bay leaves and hot sauce. Add uncooked shrimp. Serve over hot cooked rice and garnish with chopped green onion.

Found this recipe and posted this, first you gotta use a lot of butter, all the other ingredients are to your taste, don’t put shrimp in till last, you don’t want to over cook shrimp. Personally I don’t like tomatoes with shrimp so I convert it to erouffe, much better served over rice and hot french bread.

Great recipe!! I use something similar, using red & yellow pepper/s instead of green (wiffy and I don't like green pepper!!). I sometimes use two or more seafood choices just for a little variety. I slightly prefer mine over pasta or egg noodles; she prefers rice. And, yes, the seafood goes in last. Definitely don't want it overcooked!! FTRPLT

Mmmmm tons of butter and prawns sounds great to me.

Thanks for posting the recipe, I'll give it a shot when I'm next up for cooking duties at chez Timbo.

I used a mix of green/yellow/and red bell peppers and celery along with a white onion, two cloves of minced garlic, some cyan pepper, oregano and a couple of bay leaves.
Great recipe!! I use something similar, using red & yellow pepper/s instead of green (wiffy and I don't like green pepper!!). I sometimes use two or more seafood choices just for a little variety. I slightly prefer mine over pasta or egg noodles; she prefers rice. And, yes, the seafood goes in last. Definitely don't want it overcooked!! FTRPLTAlong with a white onion, two minced cloves of garlic

A tip for all of you, when making Gumbo recipes never tell you the proper way to make a roux, thenheart of a Gumbo. Roll your Roux is the secret, when you get the color you want by constantly stirring so as not to burn it, you add your onions and 2/3 of the water you want, you then adjust the fire to keep the roux on a slow roll, 45 mins to an hour. They omit that part because they don’t know. I Garronte!

After drooling on the keyboard day after day I made some last night. Thanks all for the discussion. My wife doesn't go for the Gusto hot sauces so I add extra at the table. Wife happy, I'm happy, sinuses clear, eyeglasses fogged - will do again!

I used a mix of green/yellow/and red bell peppers and celery along with a white onion, two cloves of minced garlic, some cyan pepper, oregano and a couple of bay leaves.
My mouth is watering..... Incredible how easily I can be induced to sabotage my trying-to-lose-some-weight, diet.