FishnBanjo Memorial?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am saddened, but not shocked...he was a hero, a true hero...He, like many of his brothers in arms, paid the ultimate price for his efforts in Viet Nam. He was always a man whom despised advertising what he did for others...he enjoyed his pipes and tobacco, and he enjoyed the companionship of the forums.
He will be missed...a man of rare talent...he gave it all...to his country and his friends...I like to think I was blessed to have known him...he was a truly special person....as I said before, he will be missed.

Rest in peace, brother.

Walt

Sad news.

I will miss his posts. Sante was a warm and charming character with impeccable taste in briar.

RIP fishnbanjo.

Sante and I were very close friends. I noticed him declining bit by bit over the past four years, to the point where he was unable to speak to anyone on the telephone. He was a great man who fought several cancers, and other illnesses related to exposure to Agent Orange in Viet Nam. Later, he worked on nuclear sub-marines. He was one the world's best known fly fishermen.

Sante was an exceptionally generous man. He gave more to his fellow pipers than most forum members: pounds and pounds of tobaccos, many pipes (briars and meers), and other related accessories. He turned me on HU blends back in 2012, and in turn, I turned a bunch of people on to them. Sante jokingly said, "You took my job away from me". A few months ago, he surprised me with a 1960s Andreas Bauer Sultan face meer. Sante said it was, "A sultan for the Sultan of Reviewers." He was amazingly supportive of me.

Through out all of Sante's health problems, he remained strong in spirit. For years, despite his own debilitations, Sante continued to create and lead many cancer support groups, always thinking of others who were under going similar journeys. The number of people he helped is unmeasurable. When he was first diagnosed, doctors told him he had at most, two years to live, but Sante soldiered on for 14. He told me a few years back, "The doctors can't believe I'm still alive. I told them I'm staying here because I'm going to 'shock the world' ". He damn near did.

Sante was a well read, brilliant man. He told great, funny, witty stories and loved a good laugh. "My gift is the gift of laughter. I live to make others happy." We constantly traded jokes and stories. Sante would detail his battles with me, knowing that I knew he wasn't looking for sympathy or attention. I never heard him complain or whine about the pain he suffered, or ask "Why me?" or "Woe is me." He told me everything because he knew I cared and wanted to know what was happening with him, and knew I would not express feelings of sorrow for him. That pain, until now, I kept private in my heart.

God bless you, Sante Guiliani. You were one of a kind. The bravest man I have ever known.  I don't expect I'll meet another like you again. But I did know you, and for everything there was about you, I shall be forever grateful.

I sit here stunned and saddened by this heart-wrenching news :( I didn't know Sante as well as others: however his posts and pictures were always stunningly presented. We have truly lost a kind gentleman of the briar. My sincerest condolences to his family. :( :( FTRPLT

Any time a brother falls it saddens us all. This is exceptionally poignant as we were witness to his decline. Somewhat bitter sweet as he was able to indulge his passion for exceptional briars up to the end. That’s what I’ll always hold the closest...remembering his joy in finely designed and crafted pipes. I know that his sharing them here meant a great deal to him.

I agree that leaving “his” section of the forum named in his memory is appropriate.

Farewell brother. God speed you on your way.

48039864086_09bfca7cef_z_d.jpg

Just for clarity, I was not suggesting changing the name of this area AWAY from a nod to Fishnbanjo, but rather that indicating he is no longer, as it were, an active member, might be appropriate.

Sad. I don't know what else to say. It's fun to read that he was prolific in many ways, so thank you, JimInks. It's great to hear about genuine goodness.

I am very saddened to read this. Although having never met Sante, I very much enjoyed talking about pipes and tobacco with him. A true brother and fine man has been lost. RIP brother.