Fishnbanjo Morta

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarBeagle

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy friends,

I haven't been too vocal around these parts lately but I've been watching from the wings. Glad to see the forum is going strong, and it looks like we've picked up a few new recruits over the past year as well. Hope y'all are doing well, and staying healthy and happy.

So...I thought I'd share a recent estate pickup with you. I've never had a morta pipe and have been curious about them. I've read through some old threads here on BoB and it looks like we've had some members with some experience with them and have given them favorable reviews. I've had my eyes open for a while now with the intention of grabbing one if the right one surfaced. So I was lurking around eBay last week when I happened upon one that seemed to be just my speed, a straight tomato with a black bamboo pencil shank and a tortoise stem. It turns out that this particular pipe lived the better part of its life in the stable of our very own Fishnbanjo, who commissioned it directly from Rad Davis back in 2013. I have always been a fan of Rad's pipes, especially his tomato and apple shapes which he did so well in my opinion. This turned out to be a double win for me; Not only was I lucky enough to grab a shape I like by a carver who I admire so much, but also to have a pipe from Sante's collection to cherish and celebrate his memory. I'm looking forward to firing it up this evening on a Friday night pipe Zoom meet up that I've been doing with some fellow pipe/tobacco enthusiasts since the Covid lockdown began. I'm posting a few pictures below to share with the group.

In the words of Fishnbanjo, "Keep it Smoky".
Rad Morta 1.jpg

Rad Morta 2.jpg

Rad Morta 3.jpg

Howdy friends,

I haven't been too vocal around these parts lately but I've been watching from the wings. Glad to see the forum is going strong, and it looks like we've picked up a few new recruits over the past year as well. Hope y'all are doing well, and staying healthy and happy.

So...I thought I'd share a recent estate pickup with you. I've never had a morta pipe and have been curious about them. I've read through some old threads here on BoB and it looks like we've had some members with some experience with them and have given them favorable reviews. I've had my eyes open for a while now with the intention of grabbing one if the right one surfaced. So I was lurking around eBay last week when I happened upon one that seemed to be just my speed, a straight tomato with a black bamboo pencil shank and a tortoise stem. It turns out that this particular pipe lived the better part of its life in the stable of our very own Fishnbanjo, who commissioned it directly from Rad Davis back in 2013. I have always been a fan of Rad's pipes, especially his tomato and apple shapes which he did so well in my opinion. This turned out to be a double win for me; Not only was I lucky enough to grab a shape I like by a carver who I admire so much, but also to have a pipe from Sante's collection to cherish and celebrate his memory. I'm looking forward to firing it up this evening on a Friday night pipe Zoom meet up that I've been doing with some fellow pipe/tobacco enthusiasts since the Covid lockdown began. I'm posting a few pictures below to share with the group.

In the words of Fishnbanjo, "Keep it Smoky".
View attachment 1626
View attachment 1627
View attachment 1628
Interesting looking pipe. Also njce to know it's history. Enjoy..

Indeed a very fine Morta. Great maker, prior owner, etc. But it’s the pipe itself that matters…and the shape, the specific combination of select materials and the color palette all work superbly. Epic score!

Yo BB - wow, on several counts! I treasure the Becker (Federico), Gamboni and bamboo fly rod that I got from Sante. LMK if/when you decide that delicious Rad morta is too small for you.

hp
les

You lucky Dog!

Great pipe and even better knowing the full history behind the pipe and the man. I only joined the forums a year ago but started coming here at least 4 years ago and was amazed at all the different pipes Sante posted. Enjoy.