Fixed Blade Knife

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

joshoowah

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2011
Messages
639
Reaction score
2
I'm in the market to get a fixed blade knife. We return to the States early in June and I'd like to bring one back with me for utility purposes. I am currently considering this Case knife: here.

Does anyone have any suggestions? To be honest, the case knife is a little expensive, but I have heard good things about their quality. You knife experts should lead me in the proper direction here.
 

williamcharles

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
796
Reaction score
0
Personally I'd go with the Condor Bushlore or a Falkniven F1.

The Condors can be had for $50 if you look hard enough. The top price I've seen is $90. I have two and have put them both through the wringer. One is the first gen with the 3/16" thick blade and the other is a second gen with the 1/8" thick blade. Both blades are 4 1/4" long. Both are full tang knives. Both are great but the second gen slices better. Both blades made of 1075 high carbon steel, are scandi ground and very easy to sharpen. I use both as my survival blades and give them hell. Amazon have a couple for sale at darn good prices.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=condore+bushlore&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3527431356&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4o28vmyk1q_e

If you want a good, inexpensive (not CHEAP) knife the Mora HD Companion is well worth considering. I've used mine with a baton to cut down 3" diameter saplings for shelter poles, split sticks to get at dry wood on rainy days, made feather sticks and they're great for processing meat and veggies too. The HD Companion has a 1/8" thick blade. The Companion (used to be sold as the Clipper) has a blade just over 1/16" thick and is a good knife too. I own both as well as two Mora 510's. They're all good knives but I like the HD Companion best. The HD Companion is a 3/4 tanged knife but I haven't broken mine yet and I use it hard. The other three are 1/2 tanged but I stilll have them too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mora+heavy+duty+companion&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=2478193472&hvqmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4f8l8l16eh_p

The Falkniven F1 can be had for about $116.00. The blade on the F1 is laminated VG10 steel and is convex ground. It too is a full tanged, 3/16" thick, 4" long blade. It's a great knife too but the Condors do everything it can do. I got mine on sale for $85. The A1 is good too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fallkniven+f1&sprefix=falkniven%2Caps%2C299&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afallkniven+f1

I carry a Buck 119 in one of my get home bags. That phenolic handle takes some getting used to and can get slippery if wet. It's still a good knife for survival. Not so much for utility. At 6" the blade is a bit clumsy but not too bad. It's not for reaching up into the throat cavity of a deer. The first two I mentioned do that much better.
I've also seen the phenolic handles chip.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=buck+119&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abuck+119

I'm old school and still carry and use my Kabar in my SHTF pack. At 7" the blade is too long for most of the work I do and that razor sharp swedge (false edge made for slicing on the back sweep) can bite you if you're not careful but the Kabar was wasn't designed to be a general purpose knife. Its primary use is as a fighting knife but  its advertised as a fighting/utility knife. One served me well in the Golden Triangle 46 years ago so I told my wife I wanted one for Christmas many years ago and it's still going strong. The Kabar can also be had with a 5" blade making it a much more useful knife for survival/utility. Don't buy anything advertised as USMC fighting knife. Not worth the money since they aren't Kabars. They're cheap knock offs. I'd opt out of the serrated blades too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kabar+knife&sprefix=kabar%2Caps%2C268&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Akabar+knife

Of the six I'd go with the second generation Condor Bushlore or HD Mora Companion for camping, hunting and general purpose use ( I use mine for survival too and haven't had any problems) and the Kabar when I want something with the muscle to handle tougher jobs like survival and a defensive knife. You have to take care of the stacked leather washer handle on the Kabar but a light coat of leather preservative once a year does the job.

For general purpose or utility work that Case should serve you well but for hard use I'd look for something else. Something full tanged with a full width blade at the handle. I've seen the pommel cap on that type knife crap out under hard use and have seen the blade break at the guard. The stacked leather washers used on the handle can dry out and shrink too if you don't take care of them.
 

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
B of B Supporter
Joined
Dec 15, 2011
Messages
5,451
Reaction score
34
Location
TEXAS
Unsure what exactly you mean by "Utility" but, Case and Buck are both well crafted knives for most uses.
But, if your going to be cutting barbed wire, hacking limbs (tree), prying and or digging with it I think I'd go with the Ka-Bar or one other like it. ;)
 

hobie1dog

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 21, 2010
Messages
1,844
Reaction score
1
Fixed knife sculpture:
 

joshoowah

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2011
Messages
639
Reaction score
2
williamcharles":mh8e0o32 said:
Personally I'd go with the Condor Bushlore or a Falkniven F1.

The Condors can be had for $50 if you look hard enough. The top price I've seen is $90. I have two and have put them both through the wringer. One is the first gen with the 3/16" thick blade and the other is a second gen with the 1/8" thick blade. Both blades are 4 1/4" long. Both are full tang knives. Both are great but the second gen slices better. Both blades made of 1075 high carbon steel, are scandi ground and very easy to sharpen. I use both as my survival blades and give them hell. Amazon have a couple for sale at darn good prices.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=condore+bushlore&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3527431356&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4o28vmyk1q_e

If you want a good, inexpensive (not CHEAP) knife the Mora HD Companion is well worth considering. I've used mine with a baton to cut down 3" diameter saplings for shelter poles, split sticks to get at dry wood on rainy days, made feather sticks and they're great for processing meat and veggies too. The HD Companion has a 1/8" thick blade. The Companion (used to be sold as the Clipper) has a blade just over 1/16" thick and is a good knife too. I own both as well as two Mora 510's. They're all good knives but I like the HD Companion best. The HD Companion is a 3/4 tanged knife but I haven't broken mine yet and I use it hard. The other three are 1/2 tanged but I stilll have them too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mora+heavy+duty+companion&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=2478193472&hvqmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4f8l8l16eh_p

The Falkniven F1 can be had for about $116.00. The blade on the F1 is laminated VG10 steel and is convex ground. It too is a full tanged, 3/16" thick, 4" long blade. It's a great knife too but the Condors do everything it can do. I got mine on sale for $85. The A1 is good too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fallkniven+f1&sprefix=falkniven%2Caps%2C299&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afallkniven+f1

I carry a Buck 119 in one of my get home bags. That phenolic handle takes some getting used to and can get slippery if wet. It's still a good knife for survival. Not so much for utility. At 6" the blade is a bit clumsy but not too bad. It's not for reaching up into the throat cavity of a deer. The first two I mentioned do that much better.
I've also seen the phenolic handles chip.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=buck+119&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abuck+119

I'm old school and still carry and use my Kabar in my SHTF pack. At 7" the blade is too long for most of the work I do and that razor sharp swedge (false edge made for slicing on the back sweep) can bite you if you're not careful but the Kabar was wasn't designed to be a general purpose knife. Its primary use is as a fighting knife but  its advertised as a fighting/utility knife. One served me well in the Golden Triangle 46 years ago so I told my wife I wanted one for Christmas many years ago and it's still going strong. The Kabar can also be had with a 5" blade making it a much more useful knife for survival/utility. Don't buy anything advertised as USMC fighting knife. Not worth the money since they aren't Kabars. They're cheap knock offs. I'd opt out of the serrated blades too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kabar+knife&sprefix=kabar%2Caps%2C268&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Akabar+knife

Of the six I'd go with the second generation Condor Bushlore or HD Mora Companion for camping, hunting and general purpose use ( I use mine for survival too and haven't had any problems) and the Kabar when I want something with the muscle to handle tougher jobs like survival and a defensive knife. You have to take care of the stacked leather washer handle on the Kabar but a light coat of leather preservative once a year does the job.

For general purpose or utility work that Case should serve you well but for hard use I'd look for something else. Something full tanged with a full width blade at the handle. I've seen the pommel cap on that type knife crap out under hard use and have seen the blade break at the guard. The stacked leather washers used on the handle can dry out and shrink too if you don't take care of them.
Exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to pickup the Mora Companion. I've already added it to the wishlist.
 

eklektos44

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2015
Messages
1,740
Reaction score
0
joshoowah":5uda8u7b said:
Exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to pickup the Mora Companion. I've already added it to the wishlist.
The Morkniv Companion is an excellent all round knife. I use mine all the time. Takes an edge quickly and holds it pretty well. It is great knife for a great price. For comparison a 5011 KaBar, Small KaBar, and Morakniv Companion.

 

joshoowah

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2011
Messages
639
Reaction score
2
eklektos44":bdshow3s said:
joshoowah":bdshow3s said:
Exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to pickup the Mora Companion. I've already added it to the wishlist.
The Morkniv Companion is an excellent all round knife. I use mine all the time. Takes an edge quickly and holds it pretty well. It is great knife for a great price. For comparison a 5011 KaBar, Small KaBar, and Morakniv Companion.

What'd the small Kabar run ya?
 

eklektos44

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2015
Messages
1,740
Reaction score
0
$55 on EBay as I remember. It's my wife's knife. The hilt is to small for me, as I have gorilla paws. The Morakniv fits my hands much better. If you get a KaBar I'd suggest not getting the leather grips and a get it with a Kydex sheath. Also realize that the KaBar is flat ground and very hard. It come out of the box sharp. But it's a bear to put an edge on when you have to resharpen it. But once you get it sharp again it'll hold the edge for a long time. You really need ceramic stones to do it right.
 

williamcharles

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
796
Reaction score
0
joshoowah":uqcx9kmn said:
Exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to pickup the Mora Companion. I've already added it to the wishlist.
You going for the HD (heavy duty) Companion with the 1/8" blade or the regular Companion with the 1/16" blade? If going for the HD Companion make sure to order the one marked as such otherwise they'll send the one with the 1/16" blade. The handle on the Companion is a bit smaller than the handle on the HD Companion. both are great knives.
 

williamcharles

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
796
Reaction score
0
eklektos44":v2seigrl said:
$55 on EBay as I remember. It's my wife's knife. The hilt is to small for me, as I have gorilla paws. The Morakniv fits my hands much better. If you get a KaBar I'd suggest not getting the leather grips and a get it with a Kydex sheath. Also realize that the KaBar is flat ground and very hard. It come out of the box sharp. But it's a bear to put an edge on when you have to resharpen it. But once you get it sharp again it'll hold the edge for a long time. You really need ceramic stones to do it right.
I don't have a problem sharpening my Kabar but I use aluminum oxide stones to touch up the edge and then switch to a soft Arkansas to polish it and then strop it real good on a leather strop charged with green chromium oxide paste. Shaving sharp and stays that way. That 1095 is good steel. The Moras are 1095 too but that scandi grind is a breeze to sharpen. I just use my Arkansas stone and strop when my Moras need touching up, which isn't often. You've got good taste in knives. :D
 

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2010
Messages
11,448
Reaction score
244
Location
Oregon City, Oregon - USA
Check out the Mora "2000" dual grind blade design. Very close to the Companion as I recall...both good choices. While I would always push for a much more robust design like something by Bark River...you will not find better priced quality knives than those made by Mora (Frost). I use their blades to make carving and Plug knives. Be sure to get a nice strop to keep the blade razor sharp and remember that the edge is NOT intended for hacking hard materials like roots, etc. Also, a fine diamond sharpener, used judiciously would do well.

The site linked below is where I get my Mora blades...an excellent vendor with unparalleled selection.

https://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

 

joshoowah

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2011
Messages
639
Reaction score
2
williamcharles":jizhp8ce said:
joshoowah":jizhp8ce said:
Exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to pickup the Mora Companion. I've already added it to the wishlist.
You going for the HD (heavy duty) Companion with the 1/8" blade or the regular Companion with the 1/16" blade? If going for the HD Companion make sure to order the one marked as such otherwise they'll send the one with the 1/16" blade. The handle on the Companion is a bit smaller than the handle on the HD Companion. both are great knives.
The HD is what I'm shooting for. I can get the orange one for $16. Heck of a deal.
 

joshoowah

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2011
Messages
639
Reaction score
2
williamcharles":kncqs0qp said:
joshoowah":kncqs0qp said:
Exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to pickup the Mora Companion. I've already added it to the wishlist.
You going for the HD (heavy duty) Companion with the 1/8" blade or the regular Companion with the 1/16" blade? If going for the HD Companion make sure to order the one marked as such otherwise they'll send the one with the 1/16" blade. The handle on the Companion is a bit smaller than the handle on the HD Companion. both are great knives.
What are your thoughts on Schrade SCHF26? http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF26-Extreme-Survival-Sheath/dp/B00I5T5AGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453743214&sr=8-1&keywords=schf26

Or their SCHF9? http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF9-Extreme-Survival-Carbon/dp/B0033H7VI6/ref=pd_sim_200_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=414eWbWpV0L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1QGVQF5CCKEF5R9FX3B5
 

eklektos44

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2015
Messages
1,740
Reaction score
0
williamcharles":yeiy162j said:
eklektos44":yeiy162j said:
$55 on EBay as I remember. It's my wife's knife. The hilt is to small for me, as I have gorilla paws. The Morakniv fits my hands much better. If you get a KaBar I'd suggest not getting the leather grips and a get it with a Kydex sheath. Also realize that the KaBar is flat ground and very hard. It come out of the box sharp. But it's a bear to put an edge on when you have to resharpen it. But once you get it sharp again it'll hold the edge for a long time. You really need ceramic stones to do it right.
I don't have a problem sharpening my Kabar but I use aluminum oxide stones to touch up the edge and then switch to a soft Arkansas to polish it and then strop it real good on a leather strop charged with green chromium oxide paste. Shaving sharp and stays that way. That 1095 is good steel. The Moras are 1095 too but that scandi grind is a breeze to sharpen. I just use my Arkansas stone and strop when my Moras need touching up, which isn't often. You've got good taste in knives. :D
I use Japanese water stones. I happen to have them because I use them to sharpen the blades on my planes and chisels for woodworking. But they aren't cheap. The stone can cost more than the tool!
 

williamcharles

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
796
Reaction score
0
joshoowah":up19hzlf said:
williamcharles":up19hzlf said:
joshoowah":up19hzlf said:
Exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to pickup the Mora Companion. I've already added it to the wishlist.
You going for the HD (heavy duty) Companion with the 1/8" blade or the regular Companion with the 1/16" blade? If going for the HD Companion make sure to order the one marked as such otherwise they'll send the one with the 1/16" blade. The handle on the Companion is a bit smaller than the handle on the HD Companion. both are great knives.
What are your thoughts on Schrade SCHF26? http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF26-Extreme-Survival-Sheath/dp/B00I5T5AGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453743214&sr=8-1&keywords=schf26

Or their SCHF9? http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF9-Extreme-Survival-Carbon/dp/B0033H7VI6/ref=pd_sim_200_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=414eWbWpV0L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1QGVQF5CCKEF5R9FX3B5
I don't like the shape of the blade or handle on the 26 and the handle on the 9. Handles with finger grooves get in my way. they just don't feel right to me and they fine carving.
 

williamcharles

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
796
Reaction score
0
joshoowah":1d1wtgzq said:
williamcharles":1d1wtgzq said:
joshoowah":1d1wtgzq said:
Exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to pickup the Mora Companion. I've already added it to the wishlist.
You going for the HD (heavy duty) Companion with the 1/8" blade or the regular Companion with the 1/16" blade? If going for the HD Companion make sure to order the one marked as such otherwise they'll send the one with the 1/16" blade. The handle on the Companion is a bit smaller than the handle on the HD Companion. both are great knives.
The HD is what I'm shooting for. I can get the orange one for $16. Heck of a deal.
Heck of a knife.
 

williamcharles

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
796
Reaction score
0
eklektos44":cfmzk07r said:
williamcharles":cfmzk07r said:
eklektos44":cfmzk07r said:
$55 on EBay as I remember. It's my wife's knife. The hilt is to small for me, as I have gorilla paws. The Morakniv fits my hands much better. If you get a KaBar I'd suggest not getting the leather grips and a get it with a Kydex sheath. Also realize that the KaBar is flat ground and very hard. It come out of the box sharp. But it's a bear to put an edge on when you have to resharpen it. But once you get it sharp again it'll hold the edge for a long time. You really need ceramic stones to do it right.
I don't have a problem sharpening my Kabar but I use aluminum oxide stones to touch up the edge and then switch to a soft Arkansas to polish it and then strop it real good on a leather strop charged with green chromium oxide paste. Shaving sharp and stays that way. That 1095 is good steel. The Moras are 1095 too but that scandi grind is a breeze to sharpen. I just use my Arkansas stone and strop when my Moras need touching up, which isn't often. You've got good taste in knives. :D
I use Japanese water stones. I happen to have them because I use them to sharpen the blades on my planes and chisels for woodworking. But they aren't cheap. The stone can cost more than the tool!
Boy howdy I rekkin! Salty dawgs for sure. Not convenient to use in the field either. Have you noticed how hard it is to get a good al oxide stone these days? The oil just soaks right thru them and puddles under the stone. My old stones don't do that. Good thing I've got a couple salted away.
 

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2010
Messages
11,448
Reaction score
244
Location
Oregon City, Oregon - USA
The HD is a heck of a deal all right. Excellent choice.


Looks like you're going round and round re basic use of your knife...utility vs tactical vs bushcraft, etc. I'd suggest settling on what you want to DO with it, then start looking at individual models.

I think for your price point that Mora would work for either the utility (Companion HD) or Bushcraft purpose. But a $30 tactical knife would be a 'toy tactical' without the robust materials and construction needed to do well in that roll. Stick to Utility/Bushcraft as you'll likely be hacking on wood, etc. and not people.
 

eklektos44

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2015
Messages
1,740
Reaction score
0
williamcharles":9v0glxo7 said:
Boy howdy I rekkin! Salty dawgs for sure. Not convenient to use in the field either. Have you noticed how hard it is to get a good al oxide stone these days? The oil just soaks right thru them and puddles under the stone. My old stones don't do that. Good thing I've got a couple salted away.
They are however very easy to lap.
 
Top