Flake Pipe Myth Or Real?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great bunch of info Brothers.. Thanks.. Just learning about Flakes.. I have been just tearing off half inch bunches and filling up the pipe 3/4 full.. I light and then have to tamp down and light again.. Then all is good.. Long deep puffs I am so enjoying.. I was gifted some flake blends and such a joy to find how good baccy can be.. But I still to this day don't understand what Roll out or hand roll the flakes mean.. I love the flakes so far.. :cheers:

jhuggett":ctpriz01 said:
Where I think it may have come from is if you use the fold and stuff method of packing pipes it usually tends to be a longer smoke because of the density of the tobacco. Then people may want a smaller pipe.
I agree, if you’re folding and stuffing a flake into a big bowl, you’ll be in for a very long smoke like two hours or more. Which may alyo be fine, sometimes. But then again, you don’t have to fill it way up to the rim.

True but Irrelevant : not a combination usually considered, but apt, IMHO.

One of the most glorious smokes I ever had was FVF in an old, oversized (group six plus) Stanwell billiard that LL made an improved stem for. It was truly an awesome experience.

The problem was that, even with the flakes torn lengthwise into strings and packed upright, it lasted well over three hours.

Which brings us to, Yes, Virginia, there are flake pipes.

Bore size is around 19 mm. or a bit less (3/4" -- 7/8" tops) with proportionately short bowls : bulldogs, Rhodesians, authors, tomatoes and the like. I.e., shapes designed to hold one flake, with thick enough walls to not overheat too easily. Millions of these have been made over the years -- for a reason. They're good examples of an old, true cliche.

Like "Get the right tool for the job." :cheers:

:face:

Myth.

The only reason to care one way or the other is what Yak said. Flake burns so much slower that few people are interested in a three hour smoke.

Not sure, but have always thought that small pipes were preferred for Va flakes because Va tends to burn a bit hot, and a flake probably fills it. I give all flakes a moderate rub out so I smoke them in most anything.

I can´t really add much to this. I find that some pipes work better for flakes than others but size of the bowl has never really made that much of a difference to me. The prep probably makes the biggest difference. Broken up and rubbed out it will be easier to pack and keep lit. I do both- stuff and puff, and rub it out. Depends on my mood.