Flakes & Coins: Fold, rub or cut?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud31

Reaction score
For you flake and coin aficionados: what is your preferred method of loading your bowl: fold, hand-rub or cut??

Personally, if I'm going to smoke at home, I'll cut it fine, small cubes if the flake is thick enough. I usually hand-rub coin or carefully cut, then thoroughly mix in a small tray if it's a bullseye (example: Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye). If it's "to go", i.e., I'm traveling or simply packing a pipe with my fishing gear, I'll leave the flake or coin whole and fold it-less hassle, less mess.

Just curious. . . .

I've had very little luck with the fold and stuff method... I always rub it out then load my pipe. I should revisit the fold and stuff.

Spud31":yk9r49x4 said:
For you flake and coin aficionados: what is your preferred method of loading your bowl: fold, hand-rub or cut??

Personally, if I'm going to smoke at home, I'll cut it fine, small cubes if the flake is thick enough. I usually hand-rub coin or carefully cut, then thoroughly mix in a small tray if it's a bullseye (example: Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye). If it's "to go", i.e., I'm traveling or simply packing a pipe with my fishing gear, I'll leave the flake or coin whole and fold it-less hassle, less mess.

Just curious. . . .

Depends on the blend, but my general approach is to rub a little bit out for the bottom of the bowl, then fold and stuff the rest. If it's ends of the flake at the top of the bowl are loose and crumbly enough, I muss the around a bit before lighting...if not, I rub a tiny bit more out for the top of the pipe - just enough to take readily to the flame and get the thing burning.

It took me at least a year to get comfortable enough with folding and stuffing before I felt like I had it "right." It's a little hassle to get it down, I thought, but it's worth getting a nice, long, cool, consistent burn with very few relights (for me, anyway). It does, in my opinion, have an affect on the flavor of the smoke, as well.

This is almost exactly what I do, with flakes, coins and cut plugs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s9tzmB0JInY" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I tend to "fold & stuff" leaving a bit of room at the top for some "rubbed out" to get an even fire head. I've even been known to use CH or PA on top just to get the flakes 'aburnin'!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":2tc9w9s6 said:
I tend to "fold & stuff" leaving a bit of room at the top for some "rubbed out" to get an even fire head. I've even been known to use CH or PA on top just to get the flakes 'aburnin'!! :cheers: FTRPLT
CH is a little miracle. Helps get wet/dense blends burning, chases away ghosts, great for breaking in new pipes. It slices, it dices, all this and more!

I like to fold and stuff the coins. I always rub one out a little to add to the top of the bowl to facilitate lighting. :)

AJ

If the 'baccy feels a little moist I'll rub it out to assist it in air drying.  Otherwise for flakes I'll Z fold it, roll it, rough it up a little and slide into the bowl.  Splendid!

I guess I would call what I do 'tear and stuff.' I'm looking for pieces about a third to half the size of a Deluxe Navy Roll to stuff, the more broken up pieces on the top. It usually works pretty well.

I like to dry them in flake form, the fold, twist and stuff. Tends to lend an everlasting smoke........

Fold and stuff. Nothing worse than a half-assed rub. Burns like crap. Cutting may work; never tried it. As the Wiz sez above, once the folded is lit properly, it lasts forever. But don't listen to me; I prefer ribbon.

For me. I've always rubbed out my flakes whether coins or flat. Have tried most of the other methods as mentioned here but for the flakes I smoked a thourogh rub seems to bring out all their flavor. That and a proper sized pot shaped blasted pipe !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":2z9717b1 said:
For me. I've always rubbed out my flakes whether coins or flat. Have tried most of the other methods as mentioned here but for the flakes I smoked a thourogh rub seems to bring out all their flavor. That and a proper sized pot shaped blasted pipe !! :twisted: :twisted:
So have you resumed smoking the pipe ?

Richard Burley":b1g5ws44 said:
Fold and stuff. Nothing worse than a half-assed rub. Burns like crap. Cutting may work; never tried it. As the Wiz sez above, once the folded is lit properly, it lasts forever. But don't listen to me; I prefer ribbon.
I cut half the tin for at-home use and leave the other half for on-the-go smokes. I peel the flake lengthwise by hand like string-cheese, then I cut them fine. I'll leave it spread out on a metal tray to dry for a day or two, then pack my bowl lightly. I get an even, rich cool smoke with minimal re-lights, if any. It's worked out pretty well, not to mention adding another pleasant ritual to my pipe smoking.

Depends on the flake and all of the above. McClelland #2035 & #2015 rub out. Stokkebye Bullseye coins rub out. Stokkebye Luxury Navy flake fold and stuff. The thinner, inherently drier flakes can be folded and stuffed. The thicker, inherently moist flakes need to be rubbed out, at least a little. I feel one of the worst things we can do as pipe smokers is to make definitive rules for ourselves. This pipe is only for this tobacco. This type tobacco can only be handle this way. In our smoking dens, it's a free-for-all. Experiment. It's a healthy thing.

Zeno Marx":4qx8zudn said:
Depends on the flake and all of the above.  McClelland #2035 & #2015 rub out.  Stokkebye Bullseye coins rub out.  Stokkebye Luxury Navy flake fold and stuff.  The thinner, inherently drier flakes can be folded and stuffed.  The thicker, inherently moist flakes need to be rubbed out, at least a little.  I feel one of the worst things we can do as pipe smokers is to make definitive rules for ourselves.  This pipe is only for this tobacco.  This type tobacco can only be handle this way.  In our smoking dens, it's a free-for-all.  Experiment.  It's a healthy thing.
Yeah, but the caveat there is that people who take pleasure in defined processes, order, and regularity should set as rigid rules as they like. After all, if that's pleasurable for some, and pipe smoking is ultimately about pleasure, etc. Provided, always, that such a one recognized the rules are for themselves and themselves, alone.

As far as my own tastes go, I agree with you. Half the fun with flakes/coins/plugs/ropes is playing around with them and experimenting. For me, anyway.

I'm a fold and stuff kind of guy. Currently, flakes are nearly all I smoke. Can't fold and stuff G&H Louisiana perique flake. It's way too thick ends up like lighting wood. Have to roll the heck out of it.

Richard Burley":tumnkwyd said:
I rarely fold and stuff, but nothing works better than a half-assed rub (broken flake) so it burns evenly. Cutting the flake into small cubes works also!