Flakes, Euro vs American

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
I find myself gravitating heavily towards the european flakes made by G&H and Kohlhase and Kopp. There seems to be a much greater richness and melding of the components in these euro produced tobaccos than in their American counterparts and I wonder if it's a matter of conscious intention - a difference in the ideology of how a flake tobacco should be made and how it should smoke - or if the American manufacturers just haven't quite caught up in how to pull this off. I find that flakes by McClelland and C&D tend to taste much brighter, burn faster and come across as being less stewed than the euro tobaccos. It's kind of like a soup or stew recipe. If you cook it until it's just barely done you can pick out the almost raw and separate taste of the individual components but if you let it simmer a long time this rich deep new thing arises from the components which now are not easily discernible as they've become a completely new and beautiful thing.

I think the GawHogg flakes that are not subjected to the Lakeland scenting showcase this richness the best. There is one standout exception though, although it is not available yet and is not going to be produced as a flake but a cut cake. Greg Pease's new Maduro Cut Cake possessed an amazing melding of flavors, a richness I haven't experienced in an American flake yet, and a balance that was pretty near perfect. Can this be the first step at reaching new levels for the US manufacturers?

I'd have to say that Samuel Gawith flakes are my favorites with the exception of Long Golden Flake. Overall it's hard to beat Full Virginia Flake, St. James Flake and my other favorite Laurel Flake (produced for Tavern Tobacco by Samuel Gawith). I do believe it is the stoving that does it for me.

Definately the houses of Gawith's have flake manufacturing down pat. Plugs too. They could teach the rest of the world a thing or two about their steam cooking/baking.

The best flake on this side of the pond is done by McClelland. But it's nearly all Virginia's.

The best broken flake or chunk tobacco by C&D, is Bayou Morning flake. But I saw talk of a thinner slice style for it. Have not seen that yet, but I haven't opened any in a long time. I have quite a stock jarred. If they have changed the slicing to be similar to recent flakes, then I will have to insist upon an unsliced version. Just purchase it presliced if possible. C&D does some fine cakes and pressed tobaccos.

Looking forward to the new Maduro cake. Just wish we had more domestic flakes similar to the Gawith offerings. Or some great ropes.

Puff Daddy":ajmh03fa said:
I think the GawHogg flakes that are not subjected to the Lakeland scenting showcase this richness the best.
Which of the GawHogg flakes are unscented (or unflavored)?

Conniston cut plug unscented comes to mind. I also love Bobs choc flake and though it has a cocoa something or other added to it, it's definitely not Lakeland and the cocoa thing is so far in the background (especially after a few minutes of puffing) that this wonderful tobacco flavor comes through big time!

I am also a fan of the English flakes, especially several by Samuel G. FVF, Chocolate Flake, Sam's Flake and Laurel Flake are among my favorites.

TC