flash review thread

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somedumbjerk

Reaction score
okay, i love long, intricate tobacco reviews as much as the next person. but sometimes i want a quick summary on what i'm going to smoke. i propose a systematic quick review thread. broken down:

blend (house) (name of blend) (bulk or tinned) (age {if applicable})

appearance/smell: (one sentence)

thoughts: (one sentence per third of bowl, IE: first, middle end)

summary: one sentence

Recommend (X/10)

i'll go first.

blend MacBaren Old Dark Fired Tin Initial release

appearance/smell: slim, uniform flakes, dark brown and smelling of a camp fire

thoughts: rubbed out two flakes in a savinelli pot.
first third - lit easily, beef jerky flavor leading to toasted sourdough bread
middle - tasted like sour dough bread fried in butter, hint of pecans coming through
end - maintained buttered sourdough, toasted over a grill used with BBQ sauce, pecans coming through stronger.

summary: great blend for cold weather, burned well and had a warm buttery pecan taste with medium level of lady n.

Recommend (8/10)

Royal Yacht - < 1 year

appearance/smell: Figgy, ribbony, pleasantly oak-colored.

thoughts: 1/3 bowl, light cigarette.  2/3 bowl, medium cigarette.  3/3 bowl medium cigarette.

summary: It tastes, lingers, nic-hits and smells like a high-quality ciggie.  If you're into that kind of thing.  Didn't love it, didn't hate it--very "meh," not for me.

Recommend (5/10)

somedumbjerk":ksjig8no said:
okay, i love long, intricate tobacco reviews as much as the next person. but sometimes i want a quick summary on what i'm going to smoke. i propose a systematic quick review thread. broken down:

blend (house) (name of blend) (bulk or tinned) (age {if applicable})

appearance/smell: (one sentence)

thoughts: (one sentence per third of bowl, IE: first, middle end)

summary: one sentence

Recommend (X/10)

i'll go first.
OK I'll review my "standard" daily smoke: Royal Yacht

Orlik/STG/"Dunhill", Royal Yacht, 50g tins, <1 year?

nice even ribbon cut, perfect moisture to smoke out of the tin, somewhat fruity/hay like dark Va

First third: Lots of full Va sweetness
Second third: Continues w/Va sweetness with increasing fullness to the palate and some nice fruity smokiness appears
Third/final : Lady 'N' makes her appearance really felt here and the topping that was throughout the bowl diminishes here and it's ALL Va's to the end

All in all one of the most completely "tobacco" tasting blends/mixtures I've EVER smoked

I would rate this one a solid 12 out of 10 :twisted:

blend: GLP Haddo's Delight '06 tin

appearance/smell: amber/brown & dark ribbon with some chunks. Immediate tin note is some sort of raisin & raspberry, with a chocolate note background, but nothing cloying.

thoughts: loaded straight into every pipe so far, no drying and didn't seem to need it.
first third: easy light, though a little "sticky" like aros yet possibly the first tobacco I've had that opened as honestly as its tin note (IMHO)
middle: develops darker body, but the natural sweetness of the VAs & the casing/topping keep it from wandering too dark from there
end: it's lost all it's subtle sweetness by this time and is sort of nondescript, but still smooth as the beginning.

summary: moderate/low N (to me), but easy-going and interesting in that it's about as "aromatic" as GLP purportedly makes (from what I've gathered in reading anyway). I can see this being an all-day smoke; I've had it at different times in the day and haven't felt like it was out of place, so go for it. Unless you were looking for lat, you won't be disappointed to at least try it! For those afraid of aros, but wishing for something "like it" without goop, this is a great option. Age apparently helps tremendously, but I've only had it aged, so cannot compare (yet).

Recommend: 8.5/10

This is a nice format so I thought I'd use it again for another "review"!

William P. Soloman, PRESBYTERIAN, 50g tins, <1year(fresh)

Sweet/spicy with a nice underlying smokiness. A mixture of light, medium browns in a well done medium ribbon cut which packs/lights easily

Starts out with a nice spicy/sweetness with the background smokiness coming in md way. The last of the bowl all three aspects combine to give a nice finish!

Some say it has Latakia in it, if so, it's very, very little and I would say the smokiness is provided more by the varieties of Orientals in it. It's a mild/tasty ALL DAY "old school" type of smoke for me.

I would give it a 12 out of 10 recommendation :twisted:

I like R. Yacht but not as much as I would have thought I would given the high nicotine. Usually I like HO blends regardless of what's in them.

4noggins.com_Mike":yjovo2ox said:
I like R. Yacht but not as much as I would have thought I would given the high nicotine. Usually I like HO blends regardless of what's in them.
Stop reminding me I need to make a tobacco order. :lol:

(...no but seriously, dust off the Patton containers...it's time...)

Do a flash review of your favorite rope baccy, Mike. :cheers:

Flash review of Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake.

Smell good, taste good, me like.

Puff Daddy":u9o6wxq9 said:

Flash review...

10_1_26.gif

Puff Daddy":5e9mdau5 said:

Always ONE in every crowd :evil: :twisted: 

GH Black Irish X, bulk, 6 mos of age

Very black, muted musty smell

Very dark, silky, cloying; very strong

Black rope can have an unpleasant burnt rubber/creosote taste when fresh; at 6 mos that has changed into a cloying property. I expect by 1 or 2 years of age it will be right, and when it's right, it's very good. Rope is unique.

7/10 now, with more age, 8 or 9/10