Flavor, pipe shape, tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3779

Reaction score
Hey gents! I admit to being more of a pipe guy than a tobacco guy. I would say I have a palate that is not super sensitive like those who do reviews etc. I definitely can detect the ghosts of other tobacco smoked in pipe, but think on many occasions I may miss some of the more subtle flavors even when smoking the same blends routinely over a period of time. At the current time I smoke mostly VaPer blends. My 2 go to blends right now are PS LBF and HH Anny Kake. Both of which are enjoyable, but both on occasion produce flavors I did not pick up in the last time I smoke them. This leads me to believe there is something I can do to get more from my experience. I have tried drying them, smoke them in different size pipes, used different packing methods etc. , all with results that yield occasional benefits, but not consistency. As I seek to narrow down the variables I thought it might be worth some input from a few of you who routinely enjoy some similar choices. With these blends in particular or similar, are there specific pipe shapes you go to? Do you dry your tobacco? In the case of a flake how do you prepare it? With LBF I started using the fold and stuff method, and have since moved to rubbing the flake out in rough form. With Anny Kake, I started smoking it as it came in bulk, and have moved to letting it sit out and dry several hours before hand.

I have done only limited experiments with aging as my budget only allows me to by what I intend to smoke and not much to cellar at the moment. I did age some LBF about a year at one point and did notice a bit of a difference, but will have to leave those experiments for another time. Are there VaPer blends you smoke that are better choices for you straight out of the tin than these?

I also smoke MM country gentleman, and find that one is easy to get consistent good smokes from. Good flavor, and is generally dry enough to pack straight from the pouch without any additional prep etc. Ofcourse, is also backordered almost everywhere....While looking at tobacco in prep for my next order, I found Newminster 403 slices. DFK with VA wrapped around. Anyone who has tried this who can offer an opinion would be great as well. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

I see now the thread right below this on Newminister srs, how I missed it this morning I do not know. Sounds like my kind of thing though, it's going in the cart.

Gonzo":g8chlqfm said:
I see now the thread right below this on Newminister srs, how I missed it this morning I do not know. Sounds like my kind of thing though, it's going in the cart.
DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!

Thanks Timbo, I amgonna read the article in a few minutes. Once I get some coffee.

OW, I have never had anything from Newminster, but you make it sounds very promising.

The article was interesting, the climate observation is a new perspective I will have to give some more thought to. Here in NE we have some very drastic climate changes throughout the year and even with a given season. The most profound thought in it....lol.

I’ve tried to figure this one out for thirty years, without success, so I’ll just wave my hands, attribute it to magic, and move on.

There are times I believe I am guilty of overthinking my smokes and approaches to trying to get the most out of each one.

Ozark Wizard":m691zd0n said:
Gonzo":m691zd0n said:
DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!
4 oz. on the way for a good test run. I have over bought before and still got some in store that I don't smoke often....unless I run out the options I like better.