Flu shots

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are you getting one this year?

I get one every year even though it may only be semi effective, since strains of flu morph and the shot one gets may or may not be effective against the one going around at the time.

I've had several very severe flu events in the past, fortunately none serious enough for hospitalization. But some were at that point when I was a much younger man, and I credit my youth and natural resistance with preventing that eventuality.

These days, it would conspire to put me in a much more vulnerable situation. So, I get one every year. And haven't had the flu for ~18 years.

I don't necessarily credit the vaccine with this, but even if it protects me 10% I'll continue to get it. Just had mine today.

And you?

Cheers,

RR

I got my first one last year. I got the flu for the first time in ages. None for me please.

Already got mine........I take it orally.....it's called Escudo!

My wife and I got our first ever flu shots last year because of our advancing age. Neither of us got the flu but that might not be due to getting the shot. Who knows? We will get them again this year. :|

AJ

I have every year for many years. Probably late October or early November. They are free for IL State employees and retirees.

I get one every year..I've also had a shingles shot.

Having just had a triple by-pass, my cardiologist suggested that i get a flu shot and a pnuemonia shot as well so I have. we'll see how things go !! :twisted: :twisted:

I'll be having one for the first time this year Rande as my organization is doing a big push. I don't really ever get ill but figured it couldn't do any harm.

The last time I had the flu was when my wife was expecting our first child, who turns 32 next week. I've gotten the flu shot annually since that time. During the vaccine shortages, I was in a panic. I remember standing in line at our local health department waiting for a shot with 200 senior citizens, on canes, walkers & wheel chairs. Those wheel chair people were easy to bump out of line to make sure I got my shot, but the cane folks were feisty. That year the shot was first available to only seniors and folks with medical issues. When my turn came up, I said I had athsma and allergies (sort of....). The nurse just smile and gave me the shot. I didn't make eye contact with anyone on the way out.

I got the military grade swine flu shot in the mid-70's. Put this young man on the couch for the weekend. Didn't have a single coherent thought during that time, and my wife wasn't too sure I would have noticed if the couch had caught fire.
Did get a flu shot last year to get he doc off my back.

Puffy":y5finsoi said:
I get one every year..I've also had a shingles shot.
I am not scared of the flu... but Shingles are terrifying!!! My mom was in writhing pain with it all down her neck.
My wife has had them twice, they won't give her the shot because they are required to save them for old people. FDA says 50 is okay, CDC says 60. Guess who wins that fight..

Got my jab for Shingles as soon as I turned 60, seeing as I had chickenpox as a kid. Perhaps not a guarantee against it but I'll take the odds of reducing the probability from all I've heard!

Cheers,

RR

bosun1":pnawm9n7 said:
I got the military grade swine flu shot in  the mid-70's.  Put this young man on the couch for the weekend.  Didn't have a single coherent thought during that time, and my wife wasn't too sure I would have noticed if the couch had caught fire.
Did get a flu shot last year to get he doc off my back.
Back then I didn't get any flu shots. Not even aware if they were offered.

I got the full-blown swine flu back then (or whatever strain it actually was), and I was bed-ridden for days. Had it literally coming out of both ends at the same time initially. Had the dry heaves so bad after I'd gotten rid of everything in me that my gut ached. Was mostly delirious in the initial phases.

High fever, burning hot one moment and shaking with chills the next. Couldn't keep anything down, not even a small sip of water. And I knew that being dehydrated contributed to the symptoms.

I'd never been that sick with the flu before this. In fact I clearly remember being aware of my breathing and believed that if I didn't consciously make an effort to breathe that I'd literally stop breathing! To say I was scared s**tless is an understatement.

I was down for a full week with that one, and this was when I was in my mid- 20's. To think of going through that now doesn't bear thinking about!

:no:

Cheers,

RR

I got my shot today, you guys scared me! Also a TDAP shot for whooping cough, tetanus, etc. It's now required if you are going to be in contact with an infant. I'm going to be a Grandpap in December!

I had the shingles in 2013. They were on the left side of my forehead almost into my left eye. The entire left side of my scalp and down to the top of my left shoulder was covered in very painful blisters. Anyone over 50 should get the shot. You don't shingles in any degree. I got the shot in 2014 after a year had passed since having them. :)

AJ

I have been getting one every year since I first enlisted in the Air Force... I can't say I've never had the flu, but I've also never been so sick that it's put me out of commission for more than a day... so I get one :|

Yup to everything. I come from a medical family...dad was an MD, mom as RN, I worked in the ER and SICU of a major university hospital after being a physician's assistant in the military. I believe in Science...and that includes vaccinations.

I gotcher flu. I gotcher shingles. I gotcher pneumonia.

So my understanding is that there might be fifteen strains of flu each season...and they pick the most likely and nasty, say five or so, to include in the annual vaccine...many of the strains are closely related and the vaccination will likely reduce the effect of even those strains that are not specifically included. Sorta like the Shingles thing. Even though you get the vaccine you can still get shingles, but it will be a much reduced and shorter run.

Think of the general population as a living host for a disease pathogen. Those that get vaccinated are helping to slow or stop the pathogen. Those who are not are encouraging the growth and spread of the disease. It's just that simple.

Oh...and always talk to your physician re any treatment...etc., etc., etc.

Brewdude":xv77ocrw said:
...Back then I didn't get any flu shots. Not even aware if they were offered.

I got the full-blown swine flu back then (or whatever strain it actually was), and I was bed-ridden for days. Had it literally coming out of both ends at the same time initially. Had the dry heaves so bad after I'd gotten rid of everything in me that my gut ached. Was mostly delirious in the initial phases.

High fever, burning hot one moment and shaking with chills the next. Couldn't keep anything down, not even a small sip of water. And I knew that being dehydrated contributed to the symptoms.

I'd never been that sick with the flu before this. In fact I clearly remember being aware of my breathing and believed that if I didn't consciously make an effort to breathe that I'd literally stop breathing! To say I was scared s**tless is an understatement.

I was down for a full week with that one, and this was when I was in my mid- 20's. To think of going through that now doesn't bear thinking about!
Ming! I've never got a flu shot, but this rather vivid description, Rande, has sold me on getting one. Reminds me way too much of a case of food poisoning I got while traveling. I literally didn't care if I lived or died at one point. Screw that. My understanding is that the vaccine is "dead" anyhow.