Fly fishing pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
I used to see them around - had a lanyard attached so you wouldn't drop it in the drink. I haven't seen them lately; the only thing I see are the Boswell Fishing Vest pipes - maybe that was them. Anybody remember, or know where to obtain one? Thanks...

I remember them; however, it's been quite a while ago!! I've just wound heavy string around a smallish briar, or preferably, a cob and used that while feeding the fish!!! Either make a large loop to hang around your neck or tie the string to your fly vest, your choice. I've also used old shoe strings tied together instead of cotton string or leather. Just make sure your pipe isn't something you just can't lose!!! Accidents do happen!!! FTRPLT

Many. Many. Many years ago I was fly fishing up in Idaho. Don't remember what I was smoking, wasn't a basket pipe but probably not expensive. Got a strike and while pulling it in dropped the pipe. Fortunately I was on the bank not in the river. I tied fly line around the bowl and stummel with a fly knot and tied that to my vest. Worked just fine.

I don't recall if they had a wind cap or not, but I have a removable one I can use if I so choose. As I recall there was a groove of some sort in the briar for the lanyard to ride in. I'm not even sure I'd get one if I found them; was just thinking about them. I agree there's lots of ways a normal pipe could be adapted; one of my ideas was to use a piece of thin metal, drill it and shape it to fit between between the mouthpiece and the shank with an eyelet to attach the lanyard; something like this...

wNkGtkMm.jpg

Ranger, I had the same thing happen. Pipe popped out of my mouth, bounced once, twice...and stopped right on the edge of the water. I was ready to go in after it; it's a nice one! Frankly most of my fishing is bank fishing anyway so I'm pretty safe; I was just remembering those pipes and wanted to see if I could locate one.