Folgers AromaSeal cans

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
We drink a lot of Folgers coffee. I drink a lot of specialty coffees also, but Folgers is
our morning goto coffee. I was wondering if the plastic cans with the "AromaSeal" top
would be good for storing pipe tobacco. The cans are really too big to fit on a shelf where I store tobacco, and I think they might be too flimsy. The only advantage I see is they are unbreakable. But, if you drop one, I'm sure the top would pop off and there would be tobacco everywhere! I'm not wanting to change from my canning jars, but was just wondering about the plastic containers, just in case I needed something to put tobacco in and didn't have any jars available. Anyone care to chime in about these cans?

Not familiar with those particular containers, but I use tobacco "tubs" for bulk stuff that I use frequently. Rarely does the tobacco dry out before I can finish it, so the seal is fairly effective. And they have a wide mouth that I like for filling my pipe without spilling. I also use peanut butter jars of a certain type, though I don't trust the seal on the lids for more than a couple of refills. Can't imagine why you couldn't use the coffee cans. Long-term storage, of course, requires your canning jars or the original unopened tins. (If the latter should fail, I'm going to be one sorry, sad-assed "investor.")

I would not recommend using those containers for storing your precious leaf. Ball or Mason jars will serve you better.

We talked about this in the plastic baggy thread a few days ago. I've lost food to plastic containers leeching. You can never estimate when it is going to happen, and when it does, it is awful. As a general rule, I avoid plastic contact. If there is another way, I use it.

I do know the AromaSeal containers, and for all the reasons you already pointed out, I don't think they're good anyway. There's not much of a seal there either.

Here's what I use. These are sourced in the UK stores and are cheap as chips. Perfect for dumping a 50g tin into:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20227984/

The lid has a recess inside that proves most useful; by cutting an appropriately sized piece of plastic drinks bottle you can hold a moistened piece of kitchen tissue up inside the lid and well away from the baccy... perfect for re-hydrating.

(Might have gone a bit off-piste there, but I just wanted to get that off my chest. Done. Happy).

I'd like to add: I really, really appreciate people trying to re-purpose the byproducts of their consumption. It's a fantastic approach, dare say OBLIGATION, that I very much respect. I just don't feel this situation is a good marriage.

Ball or Mason jars will serve you better.

This is the way to go.

Zeno Marx":k9q81mqr said:
I'd like to add:  I really, really appreciate people trying to re-purpose the byproducts of their consumption.  It's a fantastic approach, dare say OBLIGATION, that I very much respect.  I just don't feel this situation is a good marriage.
Yes, good point Zeno. The scourge of plastics is especially topical at the moment too.