food additives and the history thereof

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
https://www.pbs.org/video/the-poison-squad-5sf93j/

'The Poison Squad' tells the story of government chemist Dr. Harvey Wiley who, determined to banish these dangerous substances from dinner tables, took on the powerful food manufacturers and their allies.

Government chemist Dr. Harvey Wiley takes on food manufacturers to banish dangerous substances threatening the health of consumers, laying the groundwork for U.S. consumer protection laws and the creation of the Food and Drug Administration.

In 1901, government chemist Harvey Wiley set out to prove that Americans were being harmed by chemicals in food. Wiley organized volunteers for human trials to test the effects of chemical food preservatives.

This was fascinating. In the best of ways, he reminded me of John Muir. Formaldehyde in milk? Swill dairies and milk? Butterine? Oleomargarine? Don't tell big business how to run their business, even when it is killing people, particularly children. Maybe I've h ad my head underneath a rock, but I hadn't heard of him or any of this history. Definitely recommended.