For anyone born in 1960

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet. I put it on my "watching" list, just for a vicarious thrill in a few days. They're already up to $300 apiece.

Cripes. For some this would be like finding the Holy Grail?

Hope they go to a good home!

:scratch: That guy deals in low-end collectible coins; wonder how he happened upon a 56-year-old unsmoked Dunhill 7-day set? Love backstories. Did you ever wonder where heavyweight pipe collections go? William Conrad's Charatans? Edsel James's Dunhills? Tom Dunn's collection, hundreds of gift pipes among them? Who will end up with Rick Newcombe's pipes, or those of our own Banjo? Or even my modest assortment, for that matter, as I shuffle off to Bliss Eternal? The thing is, I would guess these tend to get auctioned off with a bunch of furniture to yahoos, at best, and no one with serious interest even knows about it. Then they turn up in a friggin' online flea market. Tsk, tsk!

Richard Burley":no0bxphz said:
:scratch: That guy deals in low-end collectible coins; wonder how he happened upon a 56-year-old unsmoked Dunhill 7-day set? Love backstories. Did you ever wonder where heavyweight pipe collections go? William Conrad's Charatans? Edsel James's Dunhills? Tom Dunn's collection, hundreds of gift pipes among them? Who will end up with Rick Newcombe's pipes, or those of our own Banjo? Or even my modest assortment, for that matter, as I shuffle off to Bliss Eternal? The thing is, I would guess these tend to get auctioned off with a bunch of furniture to yahoos, at best, and no one with serious interest even knows about it. Then they turn up in a friggin' online flea market. Tsk, tsk!
This is my guess as well. The heirs don't know the value maybe...

Wow, I've seen a 7-day set, but not Root Briar

I predict it tops out at $3105.

Richard Burley":2ps3mi7z said:
:scratch:  The thing is, I would guess these tend to get auctioned off with a bunch of furniture to yahoos, at best, and no one with serious interest even knows about it. Then they turn up in a friggin' online flea market. Tsk, tsk!
From what I see over here, that seems to be the sad case more often than not. I guess the next of kin have no idea about the age or value of pipes, and given the demonisation of smoking in general they are simply cast aside or sold off in estate lots. I have often wondered how many great collectible/valuable pipes were casually tossed into the trash, or (more tantlisingly) are hiding at the bottom of some drawer awaiting discovery.

No, matter. I reap the rewards by scouring our local flea market and auction sites and on my budget that is how I have managed to gather up a modest collection of sort of collectibles over the last year or two. Great fun! A yahoo and his pipe are sometimes easily parted. 5$ Punto Oro, anyone? :twisted:

Here the saying goes: Die een se dood is die ander se brood (Literally: One's demise is another's bread; or something like One man's meat is another man's poison or whatever)

Ce la vie!

Pushing $600 per. We're about to see how much the set is valued for what it is, above that of just seven NOS* Dunhills.

* OK, technically I guess they're estates.

As far as my meager set of pipes & tobacco they will probably end up in the trash. You would think that the seller would include the freight in the sale. MIKE

I guess the key factors were
- Unsmoked
- Root Briar pipes.

I've never seen a Dunhill 7-Day set like that before, and by the final bell, I guess the collectors had not either.

riff raff":3wpmlhtj said:
I guess the key factors were
- Unsmoked
- Root Briar pipes.

I've never seen a Dunhill 7-Day set like that before, and by the final bell, I guess the collectors had not either.
Plus they were from the "good" years, prior to '68 or whenever it was.

I'm sorry but I just don't see it. Even if I had millions stashed away (and I don't) I can't see paying that much for those pipes. I have two dunnies made back in the 40's and they really don't smoke any better than most of my other pipes. Out of the 3 that I own the only one that I paid just a little over $100. for was my birthyear pipe. If it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have paid that much for it. Can someone explain to me what I'm missing here? :)

AJ

ajn27511":rgv3jdu7 said:
I'm sorry but I just don't see it. Even if I had millions stashed away (and I don't) I can't see paying that much for those pipes. I have two dunnies made back in the 40's and they really don't smoke any better than most of my other pipes. Out of the 3 that I own the only one that I paid just a little over $100. for was my birthyear pipe. If it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have paid that much for it. Can someone explain to me what I'm missing here? :)

AJ
Somebody saw it. :lol:  I think the seller got lucky and is now on the prowl for more old Dunnies. The price ratchet just clicked up another notch.