For the Love of Lakelands

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiedPiper62

Reaction score
This A.M.,the 23 of Oct. 2017 I'm starting off my day w/ a very nice Lakeland tobacco from Samuel Gawith called Ennerdale Flake. Can be bought in a tin for around $9.00 bucks, but it's only $4.09 an OZ. or $$7.70 for 2OZ. at Smokingpipes.com. As most of you know, it gets cheaper as you buy more & more by the OZ. These Lakeland tobaccos impart a particular herbal, flowery aroma and taste. People tend to either love Lakeland blends or hate them. This particular Ennerdale flake is Gawith's best selling blend consisting of VA.'s & Burley with a lite, aromatic top note which is classic English... Not strong at all, low nicotine and no tongue bite... It's a very pleasant A.M. smoke that starts off my day on a nice note with these lite and pleasant taste and room notes... Gawith offers many different Lakeland blends like Grasmere, Glengarry and Lakeland flake with a tonquin bean topping... The tonquin bean flavor are the one's I mentioned along with sometimes a "soapy" quality that many are adverse to. I don't pickup that flavor, and gratefully so! Buy an ounce of the Ennerdale flake, and give the classic, ubiquitous Lakeland tobaccos a try. Then, you can tell your pipe smoking pals that you've tried a true Lakeland tobacco... Love it or hate it!!!

I've been tempted. I figure, with so many detesting the stuff, that I would like it.

Gak! Ennerdale is, to me, one of the worse Lakeland blends. I think it’s the Tonquin stuff...makes it taste like bubble gum. It’s in no way a lightly scented application. It reeks. Awful tasting stuff. I mean...good quality and all, just not for me. :x

Don’t get me wrong. I love most G&H Lakeland blends...Dark Flake Scented, Broken Flake No. 7, Glengarry, the Honeydew stuff, the sweet twists and pigtails, Grasmere, a bunch of the Kendal things...I appreciate and smoke most all of their Scented blends. But there are SOME of the scentings that I can’t tolerate, the Ennerdale being one...the 1792 on the Sam side being another. Of course Grousemoor (Dead Mouse Blend) is a case unto itself!

Proof positive that some folks like some things, but not others. And that usually everybody likes something different. Honestly though, if I had to choose one branding to smoke for the rest of my life to the exclusion of all others...it would have the name Gawith on it.

What bugs me is that I've tried some of these many years ago and never noticed anything unusual about them, just different in a non-alarming way. What's the one in the pale blue tin? I thought that was a bit over the top as far as flavoring went, but no biggy. The 1792 I remember as having quite a nicotine punch. My powers of discernment I will readily admit are not as keen as some of youse guys'. Apparently they made little impression on me, good or bad, as I never bought them again. Perhaps a revisit is in order, a walk on the wild side, as it were.

Fr_Tom":25x9ahvu said:
I like Ennerdale Flake and Kendal Flake the most of the ones I have tried. Kendal Kentucky is quite good, but it just has a whiff of the Lakeland to me.
That's interesting as I have not gotten any of that gross Lakeland essence from Kendall Kentucky. Good stuff, but a bit on the harsh side to me. I mix it half and half with Dark Birds Eye and it makes a really smooth satisfying smoke IMO. I also find interesting is the Lakeland Dark is one of their blends that supposedly does not have any Lakeland essence in it. Just about to pick up a tin to try because I read that.

ak2000":p0zsnuxs said:
That's interesting as I have not gotten any of that gross Lakeland essence from Kendall Kentucky. Good stuff, but a bit on the harsh side to me. I mix it half and half with Dark Birds Eye and it makes a really smooth satisfying smoke IMO. I also find interesting is the Lakeland Dark is one of their blends that supposedly does not have any Lakeland essence in it. Just about to pick up a tin to try because I read that.
FWIW, I am smoking it from one of the GH&Co 500 g (factory) paper sacks o' tobacco. It is not the most sealed of containers. I can believe it was shipped with something else from GH&Co, and may have absorbed some essence.

So far, I haven't tried any of the lakeland blends that I didn't like -- of course there are some that are more scented than others but they just fit into my rotation whenever my mood suits that particular blend. The SamG and GH&Co blends I haven't been able to appreciate are the ropes or birdseye.

I can't hang with Ennerdale either, although I must admit that I tossed 4 ounces of it in a jar and forgot about it for 3 years and it was improved some once the topping mellowed, and I have been smoking it from time to time. Once it's gone, I will not order more though. Fresh it smells like Play-Doh and tastes like bergamot, almond paste and Bazooka and it's way too cloying for me.

I do like Kendal and Grasmere though. These are my fav's of the G&H's heavily scented flakes.

Blackhorse":hewiwb5v said:
If you want to smoke 1792 without the Tonquin bazooka joe flavoring...try SG Lakeland Dark. Since LD is 1792 without the Tonquin stuff.
BH, How's the nicotine level with LD? I am assuming on par with 1792?  

BTW, I about keeled over smoking Rope No. 4. I took my medicine though. Smoked about an inch of it over a period of several weeks. :no:

Oh yes, the ropes are heavy Nic hitters for sure. I use to enjoy the Nic hit but now I'm on some heavy duty Meds and ONLY would smoke the rope before bedtime. Mixed with my Meds I'd fall for sure!!
I use to really enjoy a few of the Lakeland plugs. Lakeland blends that have a STRONG scent can really ghost a pipe, so I have six pipes dedicated to just Lakeland blends.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Yup. Dedicated stinky Lakeland pipes is a good plan. I’ve got a couple I use for Dark Flake Scented and they’re not good for much else...except other stinky Brit stuff. One good thing is that they’re pipes with pretty small bowls, suited for those super strong blends.

BH
I totally agree on your small bowl theory. Can you imagine smoking a strong Lakeland for an hour or so.... :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

:fpalm: Agree completely. Luckily they do well with a DGT...Puff for a while, set it down, come back to it later. When they talk about an “all day blend” this could easily qualify...sorta.

Blackhorse ":m2i607f2 said:
When they talk about an “all day blend” this could easily qualify...sorta.
Oh for sure it would take me all day to finish a very small bowl of a scented Lakeland tobacco. Have not smoked a Lakeland in quite a while.
Maybe some Glengarry Flake or the Lakeland Dark. Maybe an UNSCENTED plug :scratch: :scratch:
If I have to think that much about smoking a Lakeland today maybe I'll hold off until the weekend :cheers:
Um...I can open a tin of Squadron Leader and release the foul odor for two days before I smoke a bowl. So many pipe smokers RAVE about this blend, ah...it must be me :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

The only Lakeland blend that I genuinely like is Bosun Cut Plug from G&H. It ghosted my oldest pipe, so it is now dedicated to it. I understand how it may not be for everyone, however.

Love me some Lakelands...Bob's Choc. Flake, Rum Flake, etc...but my favorite is Condor Long Cut with a little Plug cut in for depth...not sure it qualifies as a Lakeland...maybe Lakeland like.
Walt