For those of you who are retired or making the move to retirement.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

cigrmaster

Reaction score
I sold my last business in 2017 which was a commercial real estate plaza. I still did my private lending but I didn't have to do shit as it was managed my one of my lawyers. Once Covid hit, I cashed out as I had no idea if things were really going to shit the bed. I could go back to private lending but I have enough to last me a long while and I don't need any risk in my life at this point.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I was forced to at the Airlines I was at after a couple months shy of 30 years. I was a Manager of QC for Phoenix and Las Vegas. My Director and I didn't see eye to eye when it came to aircraft safety so I I was retired with a package. The good thing was a couple months later he and the VP of QC and Engineering were retired with half the package I received. I have no real complaints as I moved to Indiana to help out with my special needs Granddaughter. Money has been tight at times but I have no complaints.

GeoffC

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I am not retired and still a ways off. My family is long lived and I am bit of a work-aholic so I will probably work as long as a company will have me. Often when I take time off I sit and wonder what people do when they don't work. Hard for me to not be doing anything. I guess I take after my father. He retired and me and the siblings took bets how long he would stay retired. They all said 2-4 years, I said six months. I won the bet. After playing golf for six months he went back to work . Today his mind is still sharp as a tack at 95

Sturdy Papa 359

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
If you still enjoy your job, keep plugging away until YOU are ready. Many times younger employees with less work ethic try to shame/pressure older employees into retirement. My retirement system was set up that an employee could retire after 25 years. I stayed 33 1/2 years and don’t regret it a bit. But, I knew when it was time to un-ass the area. One word of caution...in my opinion the economic situation in the USA is on a downward slope. Good luck with your decision.

kxg

Reaction score
I retired from my second career, pastoral ministry, after 14.5 years. My previous career of 31 years was in the natural gas & oil production business. I based the retirement decision on several factors. Primary was the financial wherewithal to financially live without worry. Next were three questions that I reviewed on a occasional basis: 1. Am I having fun? 2. Am I being effective? 3. Is my health holding up? I told my last congregation that if any of those questions were answered in the negative, I would likely retire. The final factor was deciding I could be satisfied without jumping back into work of some sort; I didn't want to fail at retirement. When I had a health scare at age 66, I knew it was time to think seriously about hanging it up. At that point, it was easy to doubt the other two factors, sort of like when looking at new cars, your old model starts feeling a bit worn.
I haven't regretted retirement one day and I'm coming up on two years in a month.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I was forced to at the Airlines I was at after a couple months shy of 30 years. I was a Manager of QC for Phoenix and Las Vegas. My Director and I didn't see eye to eye when it came to aircraft safety so I I was retired with a package. The good thing was a couple months later he and the VP of QC and Engineering were retired with half the package I received. I have no real complaints as I moved to Indiana to help out with my special needs Granddaughter. Money has been tight at times but I have no complaints.
Proud of you Mike. There is no place or excuse for compromising safety in the aviation industry.