For those of you who are retired or making the move to retirement.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold my last business in 2017 which was a commercial real estate plaza. I still did my private lending but I didn't have to do shit as it was managed my one of my lawyers. Once Covid hit, I cashed out as I had no idea if things were really going to shit the bed. I could go back to private lending but I have enough to last me a long while and I don't need any risk in my life at this point.

I was forced to at the Airlines I was at after a couple months shy of 30 years. I was a Manager of QC for Phoenix and Las Vegas. My Director and I didn't see eye to eye when it came to aircraft safety so I I was retired with a package. The good thing was a couple months later he and the VP of QC and Engineering were retired with half the package I received. I have no real complaints as I moved to Indiana to help out with my special needs Granddaughter. Money has been tight at times but I have no complaints.

I am not retired and still a ways off. My family is long lived and I am bit of a work-aholic so I will probably work as long as a company will have me. Often when I take time off I sit and wonder what people do when they don't work. Hard for me to not be doing anything. I guess I take after my father. He retired and me and the siblings took bets how long he would stay retired. They all said 2-4 years, I said six months. I won the bet. After playing golf for six months he went back to work . Today his mind is still sharp as a tack at 95

If you still enjoy your job, keep plugging away until YOU are ready. Many times younger employees with less work ethic try to shame/pressure older employees into retirement. My retirement system was set up that an employee could retire after 25 years. I stayed 33 1/2 years and don’t regret it a bit. But, I knew when it was time to un-ass the area. One word of caution...in my opinion the economic situation in the USA is on a downward slope. Good luck with your decision.

I retired from my second career, pastoral ministry, after 14.5 years. My previous career of 31 years was in the natural gas & oil production business. I based the retirement decision on several factors. Primary was the financial wherewithal to financially live without worry. Next were three questions that I reviewed on a occasional basis: 1. Am I having fun? 2. Am I being effective? 3. Is my health holding up? I told my last congregation that if any of those questions were answered in the negative, I would likely retire. The final factor was deciding I could be satisfied without jumping back into work of some sort; I didn't want to fail at retirement. When I had a health scare at age 66, I knew it was time to think seriously about hanging it up. At that point, it was easy to doubt the other two factors, sort of like when looking at new cars, your old model starts feeling a bit worn.
I haven't regretted retirement one day and I'm coming up on two years in a month.

I was forced to at the Airlines I was at after a couple months shy of 30 years. I was a Manager of QC for Phoenix and Las Vegas. My Director and I didn't see eye to eye when it came to aircraft safety so I I was retired with a package. The good thing was a couple months later he and the VP of QC and Engineering were retired with half the package I received. I have no real complaints as I moved to Indiana to help out with my special needs Granddaughter. Money has been tight at times but I have no complaints.
Proud of you Mike. There is no place or excuse for compromising safety in the aviation industry.

There wasn't a set time for me to retire. I just did it at 60 because the opportunity arose. My health has been good, so far, and I have traveled much more than I ever did when working. I don't know how I worked two jobs and 60-70 hours per week for 15 years and got anything done at home.

I'm ready mentally and within about a week of being ready (organized) financially. I found out today that 2 other guys in my group are fed up too and plan to retire in 2023. I think I can wait a few more weeks and join them. Might be a shock to management but the guy I spoke with today said he's heard from more than a dozen folks that they are completely fed up with the place.

It's been a roller-coaster ride for 18 years but unfortunately it's all been a downhill ride.

My parents died young, mother (42) father (almost 60). I had a cardiac arrest at 35. My body is full of Agent Orange. I did not expect to live, as I have, into my late 70s. I carefully planned to retire at 55 and did. I had saved and invested with advice and phenomenal luck. When I retired, I made certain that when I died my wife would have no financial worries. Little did I know, she'd precede me in death. Had I known how the cards would ultimately fall, I'd have worked another 20 years.
My only hope now is that when it's time for my life to end, it's sudden, without a prolonged illness or mental deterioration. I've written previously about my uncle, who died while napping in Montgomery Ward's shoe department while waiting for the shoe salesman to bring some shoes for him to try on. I'd love to go out like that!
I've been paying through the butt for long term care insurance since I turned 50, and I hope I never collect a dime.
My late wife retired and a few months later was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer. Prior to her diagnosis we were planning on a semi-trip around the world. Without my wife, I've had little interest in much travel.
Hey Steve, thank you for being so open and honest about your losses with all of us. I cant begin to imagine how difficult life has been for you. I have a friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer due to agent orange exposure during the war. He talks about it all the time.
In regards to your late wife, I am so sorry to hear that she was diagnosed right after retirement. I really wish that you guys would have had the opportunity to travel the world together. I hope that you and her had a chance to make wonderful memories over the years :)