Ford Focus.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
Does anyone here own a 2012-2015 Ford Focus? Happy? Pissed off? Etc..

All the dealerships here are flooded with them, lease trade ins I guess.
Just found out our second car is totaled due to a cracked head so I've started looking...

I did in fact look at CR and also Edmunds.
I was just curious if perhaps someone on the board had real live experience to share.

Sorry, but how can a car be totaled from a cracked head? Can't buy a remanufactured head with new valve train and put it on?

Pm GuitarMyFriend.  His wife has driven a ford focus for years....

Before moving down South, back on Long Island I owned a 2012 Ford Focus. I did all the general maintenance, brakes, wiper blades and oil changes every 3,500 miles. I used a synthetic oil. Had no issues with the Focus. Handled well in the snow with the front wheel drive. When I became ill I sold the car to a friend because I had confidence that the car would hold up for a number of years. I put just over 81,000 miles on the car and my friend still owns it and recently replaced the battery. He is very pleased with the Focus also because it gets excellent MPG. Clear coat is still perfect because I waxed this vehicle often and so does my friend, he just did last weekend. It's a good car for around town and short trips, so take one out for a test drive and judge for yourself.
Good Luck

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I sell used cars for the largest used car dealer in the US and have had alot of experience with the newer body style Focus you are talking about.  

They have had many transmission issues, which I'm sure you know is not cheap to fix.  I would avoid buying one unless you get a good extended warranty.  Even then, I would put my money on a comparable import.

FWIW, these and most Chrysler/ Dodge products are the only vehicles I actually try to steer customers away from. All vehicles have their issues but some have more and can be more expensive issues to fix.

Puff Daddy":qlk9p8pe said:
Sorry, but how can a car be totaled from a cracked head? Can't buy a remanufactured head with new valve train and put it on?
Because it's an older car and the labor alone cost more than the car. Plus it needs a new water pump, plus it needs....and plus it needs a...plus it needs a.. You know how old cars are.

The Bro in law is a mechanic, got a tool box longer and more expensive than most pickups. The problem is one of the hoodlums will be skipped school,road tripping two states away, when the next big ticket goes.

No transmission issues with my 2012 Focus and just now asked the friend I sold the car too. ALL is still okay, but if your not handy I would highly recommend an extended warranty on the powertrain.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":wbkqevqo said:
No transmission issues with my 2012 Focus and just now asked the friend I sold the car too. ALL is still okay, but if your not handy I would highly recommend an extended warranty on the powertrain.  

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Glad to hear that!  I love the way they look.  The whole "Aston Martin" front end is pretty slick looking. :D

Very popular cars here in Blighty, Peeb and I have several friends who've been chuffed with theirs. That said, no car is infallible though, no matter what their reputation. I've always said you have to own a car for 3 months to truly understand if you have a cracker or a lemon.

I can pick the lemon out of a lot full of cars that will hold up for half a million miles.

I do appreciate those that took time to add some input.

The irony of Hampster steering folk from Dodge is I went to Dodge after I finally threw my hands in the air arguing with Ford about them needing to issue a recall on the F150. The only comfort is there was later a class action suit brought and settled regarding Fords incredibly stupid, "bright idea" to use two part spark plugs. I'm still hoping someone does the same for their 5.4 cam phase adjusters.

puros_bran":5bssnzn4 said:
I can pick the lemon out of a lot full of cars that will hold up for half a million miles.

I do appreciate those that took time to add some input.

The irony of Hampster steering folk from Dodge is I went to Dodge after I finally threw my hands in the air arguing with Ford about them needing to issue a recall on the F150.  The only comfort is there was later a class action suit brought and settled regarding Fords incredibly stupid, "bright idea" to use two part spark plugs.  I'm still hoping someone does the same for their 5.4 cam phase adjusters.
I don't like to dog any manufacturer but figure the customers I work with need to know what I have heard and experienced.

Ultimately it comes down to pain threshold. Land Rovers are some of the most expensive vehicles to repair and often (not always) have issues, but people love them for the look and probably status. I would never own one though.

That being said I owned a 2010 Dodge Challenger and loved it. I would own one again even knowing what I know about Dodge issues because I would be willing to put up with it for the look and feel of the car. As with many things there is alot of subjectivity and everyone has different criteria for their decisions.