Forever Stems

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Since the usual vendor (the old Log Cabin) is "temporarily" not selling these, does anyone know of any other outlet where one can purchase these? I'm really starting to finally get into the pleasures of smoking the cobs I've amassed, and am really enjoying them.

While I'm on the subject, more or less, any tips on tobaccos that work best in cobs or any other gems of wisdom related to these American Beauties?

Unfortunately Log Cabin purchased the rights to and possibly the equipment to make the Forever Stem, you might inquire when they might resume making them available.

The answer you will get from most diehard cobsters is Burley tobacco, Carter Hall, Prince Albert and other codger blends get the nod.

If there is a tobacco you are fond of in your non cob pipes there’s no reason they won’t please you in your cobs, and like others who smoke aromatic, Lakeland, Condor and other tobaccos that may Ghost your pipe they dedicate certain cobs for those tobaccos, enjoy.
banjo

I'll be looking forward to when the forever stems are once again available. I choked and waited too long to order some for my cobs, and then *poof* they were gone!

:|

Cheers?

RR

Many Thanks, Sir Banjo - As far as feeding my cobs, I've started with burleys, even found Carter Hall to be a most enjoyable smoke! And I don't know if this is heresy or not, but I've dedicated some cobs to various Virginias, ala McClelland # 22, 24 & 27

fishnbanjo":whnt0nb6 said:
The answer you will get from most diehard cobsters is Burley tobacco, Carter Hall, Prince Albert and other codger blends get the nod.

If there is a tobacco you are fond of in your non cob pipes there’s no reason they won’t please you in your cobs, and like others who smoke aromatic, Lakeland, Condor and other tobaccos that may Ghost your pipe they dedicate certain cobs for those tobaccos, enjoy.
banjo
Yup! I can't add much more to what was said. I really enjoy my cobs with Carter Hall. I don't worry about them when I am smoking them outside, doing yard work or working in the garage on a project. They also work well with tobaccos that are a bit more wet than most. Some Virginias are also good in them. You can't go wrong with smoking almost any tobacco in them.

While we’re on codger blends, Granger can be nice in a cob. I once ran a little test to rate PA, CH and Granger. Couldn’t decide, so I keep a tub of each handy.

KevinM":hd8v8zal said:
While we’re on codger blends, Granger can be nice in a cob. I once ran a little test to rate PA, CH and Granger. Couldn’t decide, so I keep a tub of each handy.
Well, I haven't ever tried Granger. Maybe I should. I always thought it was for rolling your own cigs. :confused:

Actually a lot of the old codger tobaccos, they were all available in drug stores, markets etc, were RYO tobaccos, Half & Half is a good example Lucky Strikes had their regular blend and one using Half & Half.
banjo

My impression is that Granger is the codger blend that is most often described as a RYO. I think even some posters on the review site mention this. But I do not detect a cigarette taste or smell in these blends. They taste mostly like tobak. (PA has a little cocoa going in the background. Sometimes I get a wee bit of anise or plum in Granger. CH is a bit on the sweet side.) The three chief codgers I mentioned have the pluses of low price, they don’t taste like fruit pie, easy to light, slow burning, good for pipe break ins, no bite, easy to get along with, very cob friendly. I’ve been smoking them in the winter, because they do not require very slow puffing to coax taste out of them, and I don’t feel bad about dumping half a bowl because it’s just too steenkin cold to be out there.

My last look on the Old Log Cabin Pipe Works site shows 4 types of Forever Stems availbe 2 are black and 2 are green black swirl, it does mention they won’t take orders for anything not currently available until they complete revamping their website.
banjo