Format and device for carrying around music?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
I thought there was a thread here but I can't find it now.

What's a good format and a good device for a portable music player? I might be in the market for something to carry with me when I'm out working.

I have an iPhone. But I also chose to create a lot of audio files from vinyl in the FLAC format. I do not know when they added the capability for the iPhone to play FLAC. You will have to use a player like VLC to do so.

So my portable player is a FiiO X3 iii. English used by them isn't the best. The FiiO does what I need it to do and does it well. I can plug it into the car, or use my Kilpsch ear buds. I get a consistent 10hr battery life.

Although I do have a few hundred music vids stored on my iPad Pro…saved and played through YouTube…I don’t really consider that to be storage for “on the road” use. I’m not really ever out and about and even when I am I appreciate QUIET. LOL.

My wife and the junior Blackhorses, however, use their mobile phones for music…a LOT. My daughter is Apple and the wife and son are Android. Whatever the current OS is, that’s what they use.

The boy, especially, is a kid that has likely saved many thousands of music files starting way back when with a Sony Walkman. Ahhhh. Those were the days. He’s ADHD, a very successful professional adult, and I honestly think that portable music saved his ass…got him through the many, many hard times. But today’s cell phones are so incredibly capable that it’s pretty much all most folks need. IMHO.

4B4FE9EE-3606-4323-BB20-64E5730B3E39.jpeg