Former's Cross Grain Flake (Review)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
I'm posting my review of this tobacco because in another thread fishnbanjo wrote that he had never tried it. Well I was going to send him a link to JimInk's review but alas he hasn't reviewed it. So here goes: Upon opening the tin I could smell dark fruit and real honest to goodness pure gold tobacco. The moisture in a fresh tin may be a little much for immediate smoking so a little drying time is recommended. The flakes are bunched up and stuck together but they seperate easily enough. Because the flakes break apart so easily I try to fold and stuff them in my pipe as opposed to completely rubbing them out. I think this method affords a little richer taste. Don't pack it too tightly or you will have to relight it often and eventually you'll have to break through the hard ash crust to relight it. When loaded it lights easily enough and you will immediately notice the hay/citrus sweetess that lasts through the entire smoke and a fair amount of body. Soon after lighting you will become aware of some dark fruit and just a tiny bit of spice. I'm pretty sure this comes from the "pinch" of Perique that's part of the make-up of this blend. Flavor and strength develope as you continue to smoke but both level off within the first quarter of the bowl. I rate the flavor at about medium and the nic hit between mild and medium. Both should satisfy your cravings nicely. I don't get any harshness at all nor did I get any bite. However if pushed I can see it causing a problem. Let me mention DGT here. DGT is great but if you wait more than about 20 minutes before relighting the taste may get a little bitter towards the end. I don't know why this happens but it's pretty consistant or at least in my experience. The Virginia takes the lead and the Perique stays well into the background. I find it more noticeable in this blend than I do in Orlik Golden Sliced, another favorite blend of mine. Depending on the depth of your bowl this blend will require a couple of relights. I recommend smoking this in a Bulldog, Pot, Scoop, or Arthur type pipe. A deep chamber seems to smother the flavor and you will have more relights. This great blend will burn down to a fine gray ash leaving no dottle and no moisture if you dried it a little before loading. It certainly is an all day smoke and one you will come to enjoy the more you smoke it. Cross Grain Flake and OGS are similar but I think you'll find this blend a little sweeter and just a tad spicer. One final observation: This ages beautifully, becoming richer, sweeter, and fuller. You'll be surprised how much better this great blend is after only 2 years of aging. :)

AJ

You are kindly welcome Rande. Just wondering how our taste buds match up with this blend? :)

AJ

Ozark Wizard":77wj2o6o said:
Boy that sounds tasty!

Too bad it's OOS...........(smirk)
It's been OOS everywhere for months including Mars. But last night by pure chance I went to the Mars sight and it was listed as being in stock at a great price. I snatched all he had. :cheers:

AJ

Good review, AJ. I never got to try this blend. I missed out on the Former's blends, except for Bird's Eye and Straight Grain.

AJ

How did I miss your review??? Excellent review, I thought I was reading a Jiminks review at first. This sounds like a tasty blend that's enjoyable more so with some age. Just what I need is another blend to enjoy and/or cellar. Alas...no more to be found...in a way I'm glad, don't have to spend any money now....lol.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

JimInks":sz2op72q said:
Good review, AJ. I never got to try this blend. I missed out on the Former's blends, except for Bird's Eye and Straight Grain.
Well Jim I think I could arrange for you to get some for review. We'll just trade. One tin of Rotary for a tin of FCGF. Lol! :)

AJ

Lonecoyote":bw5t1q34 said:
AJ

How did I miss your review??? Excellent review, I thought I was reading a Jiminks review at first. This sounds like a tasty blend that's enjoyable more so with some age. Just what I need is another blend to enjoy and/or cellar.  Alas...no more to be found...in a way I'm glad, don't have to spend any money now....lol.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Thanks Ted. :)

AJ