Found fabulous cigar shop in Charleston, SC

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
Please indulge my idiocy here... <Warning, this is about cigars, not our beloved pipes!>

We just returned from a very hot and humid trip to Charleston. However, while there I had the pleasure of finding Havacigar. It's a little tiny, hole-in-the-wall joint, with the actual address of 54 1/2 Wentworth! I love the 1/2. :)

But, as I entered through the door which was partially stuck on the door frame, and was difficult to open, the incredible aroma of cigar leaf in the pure accosted my senses. The bouquet was amazing. Now, I'm used to the wondrous variety of pipe tobacco, but I have to say, the aroma of tobacco leaf in such a confined space was simply amazing. To my left was a small counter with all hand-rolled cigars for sale, the proprietor, who happened to be a lady smoking a nice cigar, and the cash register. She was very excited about her cigars and well deservedly so, as I later discovered. To my right sat an old secretary style desk filled with tobacco leaf, a press of sorts and a slender man hunched over a plethora of leaf, rolling cigars by hand. Needless to say, I was in heaving. Only having enjoyed one pipe the previous week, I immediately gave into the overwhelming urge to procure and imbibe said cigar, and purchased a ten dollar stick.

I think the gods in the heavens smiled down on me as I light the beautiful tubular protuberance of tobacco. It was a place I could have spend the rest of the hot, sticky day, but alas I had to join my waiting wife and mother-in-law outside. I left that heavenly place, smoldering cigar tightly clamped in my teeth. The next thirty minutes were sheer bliss, even in the blistering heat. It will probably be a long time until I have such a pleasant cigar experience again. But, alas, havacigar.com does ship!

:)

Enjoy a nice smoke today!

Picture of secretary with tobacco leaf. I neglected to take a pic of the guy pressing the cigar standing next to the desk.

I wish my desk looked like that.

You're a lucky man, Martin--there's nothing like a fresh-rolled stogie.

Sounds wonderful, I'm sure you'll make a return trip someday to rekindle the fine memories. Thanks for sharing your experience.

There are still farmers in my CT town who grow tobacco for cigar leaf. We went for a ride after lunch and this year's crop is coming along nicely. I especially enjoy harvest time when they've hung leaf in the barns to dry, the sides are open and there's a nice smell in the air. We don't have cigar shops that nice, though.

I forgot about that little gem. I am currently down here in charleston on a short trip, and might have to stop by. Lest we not forget the tinder box with club habana upstairs (grandfathered in from the smoking ban) and the smoking lamp on east bay.