Found two old open tins of baccy - reclamation?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3604

Reaction score
I was going through my ammo cupboard which also hold my tobacco and found buried a tin of C&D Three Friars and a tin of C&D Pegasus. Both were opened 5 years ago and now are dry as dust. I don't even remember if I liked them as I probably only had one bowl before putting the lid back on and putting them in the cupboard where they got lost behind "stuff" until the other day.

Is it worth/possible to rehydrate them after 5 years and would they be smokable?

It's probably a lost cause sir, once they dry out that much most of the flavor leaves along with it. I tried rehydrating some like that a while back ago and it will rehydrate, just tastes like crap. It's a shame too, 3 friars is some pretty good stuff in my opinion.

Cartaphilus":l4c3j756 said:
It's probably a lost cause sir, once they dry out that much most of the flavor leaves along with it. I tried rehydrating some like that a while back ago and it will rehydrate, just tastes like crap. It's a shame too, 3 friars is some pretty good stuff in my opinion.  
That's pretty much my experience.

If you're shy on tobacco it is worth rehydrating it by adding it to another tobacco which is slightly too moist, lay down a bed of the moister tobacco then lay down the dry tobacco on top of that then lay down a layer of the moister tobacco on top stuff it a ziplock baggie give it a bit of a shake then leave it for a couple of days and it's all good, I might add it is really is only worth doing if you're shy on tobacco.

BEFORE doing that have a good long whiff of it to make sure there isn't even the slightest hint of mould!

Ya that's pretty much what I figured too, just thought I'd throw it out there. I originally bought the three friars as my Dad had smoked three nuns and I loved the smell. I had heard that it was close to three nuns, although I don't know if that's true. That's what bought me to the pipe - the memory of that aroma.

The other one he smoked was Bruno but like three nuns I don't think it is available in it's original formula if at all, although I haven't checked.

I'll take the old stuff, (which still smells nice) and burn it a smoke offering when I'm Moose hunting this fall. Maybe I'll be rewarded!! :lol: :lol!: