Four Hollywood Irishmen

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry292

Reaction score
In honor of the Irish here: John Ford, director of the classic The Quiet Man; his brother, Eddie O'Fearna; his nephew, Phil Ford; his brother, Francis Ford. Brothers of the Briar, one and all. I'll be watching The Quiet Man sometime tomorrow.

JohnFordFamily.jpg

There was a time, in days of yore, when men smoked pipes. Interesting photo, timely, and posted in an appropriate place. Mr. John Ford and Mr. John Wayne are favorites of mine; they did some epic stuff together. Thanks for posting. Brothers of the briar indeed.

One of my favorites... the Widow in the movie even has a good one liner about "pints in their hands and pipes in their mouths!!!"

Just skimming old posts. Assuming this image hasn't been reversed or deliberately posed, I noticed that each of the brothers here is clenching his pipe on his left side. So do I, almost exclusively. If I switch to my right side, it's like friggin' cognitive dissonance or something. Anyone here ambidexterous with their jaw, or whatever the term might be?

"Anyone here ambidexterous with their jaw, or whatever the term might be?"

I've heard that there are folks in D.C who speak out of both sides of their mouth. :afro:

"Anyone here ambidexterous with their jaw, or whatever the term might be?"

Funny thing that you mention that. I am ambidexterous by hand. I smoke my pipe on both sides of my mouth, so I guess the ambidexterity extends to my mouth also! :lol:

Although, sometimes I get confused and hold my pipe in my left hand and put my pipe on the right side of my mouth! :shock:

Left handed clench to me, and I'm right handed! And frankly I try not to clench as my bite strength does not agree with the buttons, plus i cannot get on with softy bits!

Cheers,

RR

Richard, interesting thought there. I used to clench exclusively on the left but as I got older I've become adept at either left or right. I try not to clench anymore though.

Jim

Terry292":fn69v33q said:
In honor of the Irish here:  John Ford, director of the classic The Quiet Man;  his brother, Eddie O'Fearna; his nephew, Phil Ford; his brother, Francis Ford.  Brothers of the Briar, one and all.   I'll be watching The Quiet Man sometime tomorrow.

JohnFordFamily.jpg
Sadly, JW doesn't smoke a pipe in the movie, but the dog cart driver McClean does. :twisted:

Exclusively left side of the mouth here too, anything else just feels wrong. Cigars on the other hand, go either side or the middle no worries.

Cheers

Tim