Fourteen-year-old Escudo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsu92john

Reaction score
Back in 2000, I bought a whole bunch of Escudo when rumors were circulating that it was going out of production. I smoked all but one tin of that batch, which I decided to save for a special occasion. I decided to treat myself to it tonight to celebrate having been granted tenure by my college.

1_zpsdd207b75.jpg

This is the Alfred & Christian Petersen tin that many of us will remember.

2_zps40d102ac.jpg

Removing the lid revealed a well-stained liner that was clinging to the tobacco underneath. I took this as promise of a satisfying smoking experience to come.

3_zps328988bf.jpg

I hope the photo shows the sugar crystals clearly. There were many LARGE crystals adhering to the coins.

4_zps5e72b91e.jpg

I had trouble getting this photo to take properly. On the left is a coin of recent-production Escudo (bought last year), and on the right is the 2000. It's hard to tell from this pic, but the vintage stuff is (as expected) a good bit darker and somewhat drier than the more recent.

The tin aroma is so deep and rich--it reminds me of a good port. I'm currently smoking it in a Mastro de Paja bent Dublin. The Perique pepper is very strong and pronounced. The flavor is not as sweet as I expected, though the sweetness is certainly there, and getting stronger as I continue to smoke it. The greatest impression, though, is of earthiness. There's relatively little of the fresh hay and citrus that I think of in younger Virginias. The stuff has loads and loads of flavor. I'm about halfway through, and I'm already looking forward to my next bowl. I guess I should use it sparingly--when it's gone, it's gone--but it's going to be hard.

You're gonna be on Cart's s**t list forever for THIS !!! To add insult to injury, you provided PICS  :twisted: :twisted: 

MMMMM sounds delicious! Congrats again on your tenure! What a great way to celebrate in style! :cheers: 

Wonderful. I have some from several years ago, I guess I should date my tins... maybe four or five years old? This is inspiring me to buy more to tuck away...

I was given a tin of 98 Escudo from a dear friend. I am waiting for that perfect moment to pop it open. I hope my experience is a good as yours. I may wait til I retire from my job and become self employed :)

rev

I'm calm, no harm no foul. I completely understand and if I had 14 year old Escudo I'd certainly hoard it all to myself and savor it also. No no really it's okay, I'm not upset the least bit. I have plenty of crappy new Escudo I can enjoy in time if I don't fricken die while waiting for the crap to age properly so I can maybe enjoy smoking it.
So, it's okay, not a problem, I completely understand............ :fpalm: 

Cartaphilus":04io7xui said:
I'm calm, no harm no foul. I completely understand and if I had 14 year old Escudo I'd certainly hoard it all to myself and savor it also. No no really it's okay, I'm not upset the least bit. I have plenty of crappy new Escudo I can enjoy in time if I don't fricken die while waiting for the crap to age properly so I can maybe enjoy smoking it.
 :lol!: 

So as I was rummaging around for this tin the other day, I also discovered a couple of forgotten, still-sealed tins of Blackwoods Flake. Date codes on the bottom reveal them to be of the same vintage as the Escudo. Color me very pleasantly surprised! :eek: 

Cartaphilus":g9ktmduf said:
 :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: 

fsu92john":2nbfd7g2 said:
So as I was rummaging around for this tin the other day, I also discovered a couple of forgotten, still-sealed tins of Blackwoods Flake. Date codes on the bottom reveal them to be of the same vintage as the Escudo. Color me very pleasantly surprised! :eek: 
Some well aged Ketchup!! Now THAT'S something worth smoking !! Those are READY to smoke, open 'em up and light ;em up !! Never mind that other stuff !!  :twisted: :twisted: 

Color me jealous on both tobaccos.
And congrats on the tenure also.

Congratulations on getting tenure. I can't think of a better tin to pop in celebration. I can almost taste it from the photo *sigh*.  :geek: 

Craig