Fourth of July casualty?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
So, I hosted a little gathering for the Yankee 'Independence Day' celebration. As it was raining buckets most of the day, there was no skeet shooting or other outdoor activities until almost dark. Got the laptop and projector out, positioned the van, and played movies whilst off in the distance grand explosions rang out from other folks. At some point, one of the new llamas broke her front leg. I manufactured a splint and wrapped her leg in the dark as best I could. The next day or so, (probably a couple of days later, come to think of it,) I got some real casting materials and rewrapped her leg properly. Unfortunately, with all of my handling her mother has turned her nose up to nursing the poor girl. I had put her mom in with her in a birthing pen so the cast would stay dry and clean, but momma llama jumped the fence and won't stay with her.

SO..........

Yup, bottle feeding a llama. I put a mirror in the pen with her so she has some sort of company while I'm not in there, but I can tell she is still lonely. I wish it wasn't so hot out. It's a bit sticky too. For the time being however, working on wood crafts in a birthing pen with a clingy one month old llama has given me some new and different company....

The first splint in patriotic colours....

She's not too fond of my formula....

Wow - I am envious - looks like you have a wonderful place there Wiz. Llamas ---- i thought you were kidding when i heard you say that in passing. watch the spit eh? so what do you do with them? send a PM if you wish and tell me more. I am fascinated.... nice work on the leg. Ya - that can happen with some species - the mother will reject the little one or else even the whole group will reject an individual that is gone too long as in mountain sheep.

What a beautiful lil' girl she is Ozzie. Hope her recovery goes well and she can get back to socializing with her own kind. In the meantime looks like you've got another child to look after!

;)

Cheers,

RR

Awwww, really hoping she mends quickly Wiz. She definitely needs the company of her own kind.

Jim

Wiz said "We create our own Karma. Reap what we sew. All that........... "
Ain't it the truth
It looks like you have been working on your karma

Fascinating! Do you sell the wool? We buy our Christmas trees from a big farm in PA that also raises and breeds Alpacas. What is the difference between a llama and an alpaca?

Ozzy, Everytime you write or show pictures of the Paradise you live in I get so envious that I can hardly stand it. You and your family are so fortunate to have the lifestyle you enjoy. You don't by chance have any wild turkeys living close by do you?  :)

AJ

AJ..........

Yes, this is a pretty sweet set up here, and yup, wild turkeys, quail, road runners, all kinds of birds, etc. Sometimes even various chickens wander over and set up camp. It's kind of a little wildlife preserve I tend.

Riff Raff....

I don't sell the wool as yarn, but we make various things with the wool we spin. Mostly felted slippers and socks, bags, and various clothing. Blending the llama fiber with the sheep's helps to stretch the product. Alpacas are pretty much a smaller species than llamas. They are both part of the camel family though. The primary function of the llamas here are for protecting the sheep and goats and helping to clear the forest underbrush while still leaving a nice canopy overhead. We shear them for fiber and to help keep them cool in the summer months. On occasion I will 'harvest' a male. The meat is very much like angus sirloin, very lean, and the hide makes a fine leather.

Oldman...........

I would be happy to tell you more in PM if you wish!

Bub.........

You ain't kidding........

Brewdude.......

You have no idea....... Had to go into town for a halter for Shea(yah, named her), and not being sure of a good fit, brought her along to town for a proper fitting. Check it out!

She road really well and no 'accidents'!

Shea is looking at you with love in her eyes Ozzie!

07051610.jpg

:heart:

Cheers,

RR

She road really well and no 'accidents'![/quote]

Would be neat if she took to riding in the car. kFreak the folks out in town when you drive by with a Llama's head stiking out the window !! :twisted:

Wow! i like the last pic - she is beautiful. yes tell me more - i have a 1 acre little homestead but where i live in a higher end neighborhood at the edge of town makes it difficult - wanted more land and more country but wife didn't so i am lucky i have what i have - sheep too? damn.... I am envious. Man you seem to have it all together there. I have a dog and chickens and an organic garden most years - sometimes i am forced to spray a bit and vineyard. Planted around a thousand trees etc. It is my little piece of sanity - but a lot of hard work. heat with wood for 18 years now. all i can say is wow!!!!