Freedom For A While, I Guess

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I've done significant daily childcare for my three young grandchildren since March, 2020. Tonight my daughter comes home from a retreat/workshop and is on vacation until late August. The two older kids start day camp on Monday and the 20-month-old will be continuing at daycare. Today, I'll be with the grandkids from 11:00 to 5:00. This morning, my daughter's father-in-law is with them until I arrive. About noon, my older daughter says she'll drop by to entertain the kids for a couple of hours. Some freedom is in sight.

You're a good Grand Dad!!!! FTRPLT
There's somewhat of a sense of guilt along with the freedom. I do love my grandkids, but I'm really tired of the daily parenting. The 6.5-year-old girl and the 5-year-old boy fight constantly and the task of being a referee and disciplinarian is incredibly tiring. So, I feel a little guilty being ecstatic about being relieved of the duty. My daughter's father-in-law, who has been of some help, remarked on Friday that he's also had his fill.

Being married to a psychiatric nurse practitioner, my gut guess is the "family" situation is wearing on the older girl and boy. You, as the care giver, are deserving of some "relief" from your tasks; no guilt attached! A family meeting is probably in order. Not preaching here, I only wish you and your family the best as future events unfold. FTRPLT

My respite is somewhat over, at least for a day. My daughter and her husband are going to the MN Twins baseball game tomorrow (Thursday). They're meeting another couple at 4:30 in downtown Minneapolis to have dinner; game starts at 7:10. I'm assigned to pick up the two older kids from day camp at 4:20, while my daughter's father-in-law picks up the 22-month-old from daycare. My task: Make supper, feed the kids and supervise the kids as they play outside until bedtime. Get all three cleaned up and in bed, then wait until about 11:00 pm, when the parents come home.
Then drive 20 miles home. I'm not thrilled, but my daughter's marriage has been teetering and the fact that they're going out together is very encouraging.