Friend inherited these

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelyJ

Reaction score
Hello all. I haven't been around here for a bit but I thought you all might be able to help my friend. Her grandfather passed a few years back, and recently her grandmother passed so the estate has been left to her to clean out. Her grandfather had a bunch of pipes (they've not used the room since he died so it's all quite dusty).

What is the best way to unload a bunch of estate pipes? Do these look like they're able to be cleaned up and put to use? I haven't been able to make it there and she can't make out some of the maker's marks but did send me a bunch of pictures which I'm putting below.

thumbnail_image0 (1).jpg

thumbnail_image4.jpg

thumbnail_image5.jpg

thumbnail_image14.jpg

thumbnail_image13.jpg

thumbnail_image9.jpg

thumbnail_image7 (1).jpg

thumbnail_image8.jpg
thumbnail_image10.jpg
thumbnail_image11.jpg

Holy schmidt, that's quite a collection and no mistake! 😲

You'll get a lot of different responses here. My suggestion is to clean them up as best you can and get a bunch of good pics. If you offered them as a complete lot on ebay you might get less for them than selling individually, but then you'd be able to package and ship them in one go if you didn't want to be bothered with individual sales.

Be sure and keep whichever ones appeal to you personally, and welcome back.

Cheers,

RR

My first guess is there are a bunch of Peterson and WDC Wellington's in the group. Maybe some Barling Meer's. Looks like quite a few Peterson "bents" in various shape numbers. These will require a major, time consuming cleaning effort; then someone to list them on (for instance) eBay, etc. Hard to tell just what you have here until the markings/stampings are more discernable. JMO...FWIW FTRPLT

If the pipes are located in a city where there's an active pipe club, I'd contact the club. There may be some members who will help identify and clean up the pipes. It's impossible to determine value without knowing what the pipes are and that will necessitate at least enough cleaning to read the nomenclature.

Amazing load of pipes there for sure. The wood should be pretty easy to clean up but the oxidized ebonite stems will take significant work. Jesse Jones might be a resource to consider.

.... the oxidized ebonite stems will take significant work.
I've used:

99988639_mmm_39010_pri_larg.jpg

followed by:
41-IfukkEeL._AC_.jpg

I've also used:
weiman-cooktop-cleaner_front.jpg

for really heavy oxidation, but with a soft cloth and gentle hand.

Last edited:
As I think about the collection, most are oom paul or variations on an oom paul. I don't know of many makers of lower end pipes that produced that shape. As ftrplt posted, I'm speculating that many in this collection are Peterson.

That's certainly no small feat to sell those. I'd hand over the entire thing to an ebay broker. I'd get bids, aka details, from more than one. I'm not sure I'd even bother tackling that on my own...maybe if I had nothing better to do for a couple months.

I think the guy from the RebornPipes blog is interested, she will just need to identify and list what she has, maybe send more pics his way. I might offer to buy one or two myself and try my hand at refurbishing - seems like it could be a cool little side hobby, not like I need anymore of those.