Frog Morton OTB

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Rock

Reaction score
Is it just me or does this blend of FM just not belong with the others? I was not expecting what I tasted in this blend. I thought to taste a nice smokey latakia blend. The latakia was week and not much body at all to this blend. I know they advertise it as a balkan blend but I thought it left alot to be desired as a balkan also. I can see the similarities in the other FM blends but this sticks out like a sore thumb. Mabey I just got a bad batch? The tin was from 2006.

Have several tins aging...have not tried it though! Could it possibly be the perique in the blend?? I'd like to hear from other BoB's who've tried FMOTB. FTRPLT

Depending upon the pipe, I can find the blend mild to medium in strength. Sweet, yes. Nice latakia taste. Some peppery flavor. It is one of several blends that makes me sweat on my head. I get the same reaction from certain types of hot sauces. I can have water running down my face & neck. :lol:

Ok, I smoked two more bowls in two different pipes and got a different reaction out of the tobacco each time. The best smoke I had with it was out of a Charatan. I think it must be extremely picky about which pipe it wants to be smoked in. Out of the Charatan it was sweeter and the latakia was more present. It was enjoyable!!! I will finish the tin but I will wait awhile before I decide to try it again. It could be just not right for the rotation of tobaccos I am smoking right now. Oh, the joys of sampling!!! :D :D :D :D

I am not agreat fan of it, although I agree it varies greatly with different pipes.

Oddly enough it tasted best in a Charatan for me as well.

I do find it too astringent though, has me reaching for a drink.

Could be a good excuse.

On The Bayou is the only blend I've tried so far in the Frog series. I really love this blend. I'd never tried anything with Perique before, and found it to be an interesting taste, which I picked up on right away. Someone else had described it as a peppery flavor, and indeed this was a good description for Perique.
I prefer English Blends, especially blends heavy with Latakia. A tobacco shop, here in Indy, makes me a custom blend. The blender calls it - "Ships" - and I would think it must be something similar to Squadron Leader or some kind of Navy Flake?
I will try some of the other Frog blends soon, and will let you know what I think of these as well!

Randy W...

ftrplt":4edxhfln said:
Have several tins aging...have not tried it though! Could it possibly be the perique in the blend?? I'd like to hear from other BoB's who've tried FMOTB. FTRPLT

I'm still trying to decide if I like this FM blend or not. It's one of those "if I'm in
the right mood" type of smokes.

Matt

Age positively helps nearly all McClelland blends. Complexity increases. Strength seems to pickup. Maybe it's a lack in my technique. But give me 10 year old McClelland's any day over the new stuff.