Frost's European Vacation photos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
Got back last night from a 2 week jaunt across various parts of Europe. We flew to Zurich to visit/stay with my wife's brother and his wife. They showed us around Zurich, then took us to Lucerne, Berne and Basel in Switzerland and then it was off to Amsterdam & Copenhagen via train to see the sights, of which we saw plenty ;) After that we hiked up a few hills to check out the Aletsch Glacier, then back to Zurich for a few more days before leaving.

Just an amazing trip all around with endless cultural, historical and natural wonders to behold. All kinds of great experiences from hikes through the Alps, swimming in the (ridiculously cold!) Limmat river, swalking through crusade era churches & munsters, random street parties, getting myself lost in the middle of a Copenhagen Carnival celebration, wandering around Freetown Christiania, riding bicycles from one end of Copenhagen to another without ever really having to stop, riding bikes all around Amsterdam and err....other things in Amsterdam.

Zurich is simply an amazing city too...a very interesting sort of social experiment they have going on there. If it weren't for the fact that we left our cats at hom and it is apparently near impossible for immigrants to find a job there, we probably would have stayed.

Anyway, a few pics below. You can see more of the 2,000+ photos we took at the photobucket link here once I finish uploading--> https://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/dirtball28/#!cpZZ5QQtppZZ16

*Edit: almost forgot, there were also some pipe/tobacco acquisitions...I'll put 'em in the appropriate subforum :D

Best way to see the sights

River is really cold :affraid:

Dude makin clogs

Carnival in Copenhagen

This was a really old church

Bears in Bern

Aletsch:

Beautiful! I was just wondering where you were.
It is easy to get "lost" in Amsterdam...
Thanks for the pics!

Yeah, I checked in a few times while I was over there to make sure nobody missed me too much, but it seemed like everything was under control and since internet time was limited I didn't bother to post anything :lol:

Thanks for the kind words, it really was a great trip. The Chester county PA suburbs really don't seem all that interesting anymore.

Frost":o16lsnyt said:
The Chester county PA suburbs really don't seem all that interesting anymore.
What, you mean your town doesn't have a daily parade of Danish showgirls? WHat the hell else are they spending your municipal taxes on?

I think the town council keeps the showgirls to themselves :evil:

Frost very nice pics. I have always wanted to go over there spend a couple weeks. Thanks for posting these.

Thanks for sharing your interesting adventure, looks like a great place to retire,,,,amazing scenery

Great photos, thanks for sharing. I understand the cost of living there is quite high compared to the states because of huge taxes. How fortunate to have a brother in law to show you the sites.
Doc

docwatson":4iq2zb3r said:
Great photos, thanks for sharing. I understand the cost of living there is quite high compared to the states because of huge taxes. How fortunate to have a brother in law to show you the sites.
Doc
The general cost of things in Switzerland was a bit higher, but really not by much. Prices were sort of comparable to what I was used to seeing in a major city like Philly. Standard of livig in Zurich appears to be quite high. A grocery store cashier for example might make a salary of about 2700 to 3000 francs a month from what I understand. Public transportation system is phenomenal, and everything appears very well planned and functions very smoothly. One could easily live pretty comfortably on a salary like that.

Copenhagen on the other hand is very pricey, despite the fact that the Danish kroner is valued at about one fifth of a us dollar. There is essentially a 25% tax on everything, which I would imagine is at least partly due to the monarchy but no idea why really.

Frost! Nice pics. How come, whenever I go visit my family in German they don't have showgirls in the street. I think all of us would appreciate some half-naked girls dancing in the street wherever we go on vacation! LOL

Very nice. Looks like you had an exceedingly nice time. I'm jealous.

Was the weather nice? My wife was in Germany for an audition (which she didn't win) and the weather was perfect for her.

Martin

It was a great time indeed. Best vacation to date. The weather was great everyday. Sometimes a little cloudy, but mostly sunshine and in the 60s to 70s.

Funnilly enough, the forecast called for rain almost everday but we never got caught in it. It would be sunny right up until we got on a train or got to a hostel or went to bed, then rain while we were on the train or sleeping, then stop and get sunny again before we got off the train or got up in the morning. This happened almost every day...lol.

Apparently, as soon as we flew back home it got chilly and rainy again.

Very nice to see, how different people from far away see Europe. Thanks for the photos.

Berlin is one place I wished we had been able to see, but unfortunately it just didn't fit into the schedule. We did get to see some nice German countryside on the train, but weren't able to actually visit.

I would love to live in any of the places we did get to see though...all of them had their own charms. It was tough to leave.

Beautiful photos! Thanks for posting! A few years back, we took a train from Amsterdam to Zermatt, Switzerland. Nice people and beautiful country!

It looks like you had an incredible trip! I second the need for more photos! Is that one a pic of an ice flow? It's wild to imagine taking a stroll to a park where you can rest and watch the ice flow down the mountain... very.... slowly...