Fundraiser for a Friend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreverT

Reaction score
HELP NEEDED!
A good friend of mine is in some financial trouble. He's a young guy working hard to get out of the McJobs-and-Ramen stage of life. His parents are missionaries and out of the country, and he's on his own. He's just been hit with some unexpected financial catastrophes and is in a bad way, and I want to help out.

This is not a charity drive or a relief fund for a cause, this is strictly local-level, "Help out one young dude who's struggling to get a start on life". I think most of us have been there, and can remember well those days when we had to stretch $10 for two weeks.

HERE'S THE DEAL:
I am donating this $193 grade 4 Ligne Bretagne natural-finish smooth to this lottery. A $10 donation will buy you one ticket in the hat. In about a week, I'll draw the winning name from the hat and somebody out there will win a *really* beautiful Ligne Bretagne for the price of a KFC dinner. The more money we can raise, the more we can help. You get a chance at a great pipe for an unbeatable price, and you get to help out somebody who's struggling, plus my thanks for your generosity.

GO to this link, click the "Donate" button, and it will give you a readymade $10 ticket. You can pay by bank card, credit card, Paypal account, etc. BE SURE to enter your email address so I'll be able to contact you if you win!!!

And - THANK YOU very much for your help and kindness! Those of you who donate will be helping to make a big difference for someone.

http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/bretagne-catalog/14141lb.shtml

XWWk55F.jpg

kq3kxtK.jpg

Brewdude":qoqfddhx said:
Done!

Great offer, way fantastic pipe, and worthy cause. Thanks for this opportunity to help Trevor.

Cheers,

RR
Thank you very much! I don't think it's overstating it to say that this may very well make the difference in keeping a young guy off the streets for this Christmas.

I'm thinking I may make a goofy video to go with the drawing, when it's closed. I really do have a hat full of names sitting here on the desk now.

I cry bull hockey on the video!!!!! The only way to have a fair drawing is to have Baragon draw, anything other than that highly esteemed member drawing the name will be at least indicative of foul play.

puros_bran":yrgcp095 said:
I cry bull hockey on the video!!!!! The only way to have a fair drawing is to have Baragon draw, anything other than that highly esteemed member drawing the name will be at least indicative of foul play.
Believe it or not... I've got a stop motion app on my iPad and have already shot two brief stop motion videos of Baragon, animated. I was already turning over in my head the idea of a quickie stop motion vid to connect to the drawing somehow...

beardedbassguy":gj7crnbm said:
Done! I pray this guy gets what he needs to succeed in life.
Thank you, me too. He's a good kid. If it's any consolation, I would not be risking everyone's donations if I thought it was going to get pissed away on drugs or booze. His hope is to pay his rent as far in advance as possible, buy a lot of Ramen noodles, and work his ass off to get back in good standing. That attitude, I can totally support, and am happy to be able to.

Re: Baragon. Enjoy some test footage... :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xj00OzOH6Pg" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7ncNkJsLxQY" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

TreverT":q0abjnnj said:
Re: Baragon.  Enjoy some test footage...  :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xj00OzOH6Pg" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7ncNkJsLxQY" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>
Oh man! I love it.

Done! I hope that he is blessed and gets what he needs (hopefully more than just ramen noodles). I have been there, and done that. No fun. Good for him for working hard to get back on his feet. Its a rough road. I will keep him in my prayers too.

I regret to jump in here with a big cold wet blanket, but this thread may well be illegal according to site regulations. In the past, threads that had fundraising as a goal and/or were raffle oriented have not been allowed. In addition, members wishing to initiate threads of this nature have always been required to contact admin to explain what they were doing and request permission to go ahead...which has not been done.

While we certainly respect the work, membership and histories of those involved here, in order to obtain a ruling I have asked council members to continue the review which was already taking place.

- Blackhorse - BoB Site Moderator

Blackhorse":rfbppmll said:
I regret to jump in here with a big cold wet blanket, but this thread may well be illegal according to site regulations. In the past, threads that had fundraising as a goal and/or were raffle oriented have not been allowed. In addition, members wishing to initiate threads of this nature have always been required to contact admin to explain what they were doing and request permission to go ahead...which has not been done.

While we certainly respect the work, membership and histories of those involved here, in order to obtain a ruling I have asked council members to continue the review which was already taking place.

- Blackhorse - BoB Site Moderator
Oh, dang.  Sorry about that.  I just figured, it's a fundraiser, it should be OK.  I'll pull the thread if you want, or you guys can.  Did not mean to cause offense.  I probably should have contacted the mods first but there was a sizable element of time-crisis involved here, where the friend in question was needing some money *fast* just to stay in his apartment... ergo, I was in a rush to put this together and get the notices posted as quickly as possible.  Mostly I was just hoping that my business rep and established history in the hobby would be enough to back up this not being a typical scam artist-type thing.

Edit: The downside of pulling the thread that I can see is that those who have donated would then all have to go to our Facebook page to keep tabs on the raffle as it progresses, since I could not post updates here.

Mr. T. - no one anywhere thinks you are a scam artist. But in light of your and other threads that touch on this theme Admin needs to discuss how to best approach it. It takes a while to get the "other wizards" from behind their curtains...but soon.

Blackhorse":5m322s4y said:
Mr. T. - no one anywhere thinks you are a scam artist. But in light of your and other threads that touch on this theme Admin needs to discuss how to best approach it. It takes a while to get the "other wizards" from behind their curtains...but soon.
What about a dedicated section of the board *solely* for fundraisers and such, with each post vetted by mods? It does seem a shame to completely ban stuff like this, though I'm aware of just how skeezy many of these sorts of things are. It's a delicate balance you guys have to handle, no doubt.

For my part, my one main concern going forward is whether or not I should post updates here, like I said above. The fundraiser has gone well, well enough that I'm going to see about adding in some extra goodies to the raffle if possible, and I'm thinking about doing a little "Thank you" video of the drawing and such, at the end.