Furniture Polish & Floor Wax

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
You might want to fill a bowl, get it lit, sit back and relax. I don't know how long this little story is going to be. Maybe I can keep it fairly short but I want you to see this as it went down.

Some time back I was visiting my friend in his B&M and I had been there about an hour smoking my pipe and engaging in some light joking with my friend and a couple of his customers when an old gentleman came in. My friend obviously knew him and without either saying a word my friend went into the back of the store and brought out three large cans of Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco and place it on the counter in front of the old man. Neither had spoken and the old man handed my friend some cash. It must have been the exact change because no money was given back to him. The the old fellow ask my friend how he had been doing? They exchanged a few pleasantries and then Sack, that's what he said his name was, came over to the table where I was sitting with two other patrons and sat down. He made the usual small talk you expect to hear from a stranger about the weather and how hot it's been, asked how we all were doing, and then complained about feeling tired and old. The small talked continued and in a bit he took out a Kaywoodie and filled it with tobacco from a worn leather pouch that he had in his hip pocket. I notice his pipe didn't look like it was an old pipe but the bent stem had some significant teeth marks on the end and there was a fair amount of cake build up. Somehow how the conversation got around to the second World War. Sack mentioned he was in Patton's 3rd Army and he had fought in the Battle of the Bulge. My Dad had been in Patton's Army and had also fought in that same battle like so many others. I mentioned this to Sack and he asked if I knew what outfit my Dad had been in and I told him. Sack said he knew it well and that he had some pictures that he had taken while he was overseas and some of them included my Dad's outfit and asked me to come by his home sometime and he's share them with me. Turned out that he lives only four blocks from me and I told him I would really like to go by and visit with him and to see the pictures. Well Sack got up and kind of waddled out the door and my friend told me he was a retired postman and that had been living alone since his wife died about 5 years ago. Said he was one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet.

About a week ago I was in a local grocery store and ran into Sack and he immediately recognized me. He came over slapped me on my back as though he'd known me forever and asked when I was coming over. I relied,"You say", and he said that he wasn't doing anything that afternoon and it was a good time as any for him. Well I didn't have any plans so I told him I'd be over about 2:30. At 2:30 I was knocking at the door of his nice little Craftsman style home. You could tell by how well the house had been maintained and the yard landscaped that he was meticulous about the things he owned. He came to the door and invited me in to his home that was furnished with furniture from the 40's and 50's. Dated but really well made and kept. We sat down and I immediately noticed a wall mounted pipe cabinet that contained a collection of pipes. Sack sat in a recliner across from me and put his feet up as he leaned back. Then suddenly he sat up and apologized for forgetting his manners and asked me if I'd like to have something to drink and I declined wanting to get to see the pictures he had offered to show me. We talked a bit about this and that and he got up and left the room and when he came back he had a shoebox with him and he came and sat on the sofa with the shoebox between us. We spent about an hour and a half looking at the picture of his buddies and some that were of my Dad's outfit. Sadly there were no pictures that had my dad in them but he was able to tell me how his outfit and my Dad's fought together in two major firefights. He knew of the incident that my Dad was involved in when he won his Bronze Star. He told how scared he was and how tough that engagement had been. Sack had been right in the middle of that particular conflict along with my Dad and his outfit.

After we finished looking at the pictures I mentioned his pipe cabinet and how ornate it was. He said he had made it himself and he got up and walked over to it and opened it up. I got up and went over to get a closer look and saw that it contained about 25 pipes. Well you know how it is when two pipe smokers are around pipes. The conversation is going to be about pipes and tobacco and so it was for the remainder of my visit. Sacks pipes were all Kaywoodies and Dr. Grabow. He said he hadn't bought a pipe since 1949 and had never paid as much as $25. for one. I was somewhat taken back because the pipes didn't appear to be old from what I could see. They were all hung with the stems down and all of the stems looked fairly good with the exception of some tooth marks. I mentioned this and Sack said he replaced the stems about every 6-8 years. He didn't like the taste of old rubber he said. He handed me one of the Dr Grabow pipes and it was in remarkably good shape and I asked him if he was teasing me when he said they were all bought in the 40'S. He just smiled and said for me to follow him. So I followed him out to his workshop that was inside of his garage and I saw a big electric motor with a belt and the belt was attached to an axle in the middle with a buffing wheel on each end. This was sitting on his workbench and he said this is where he cleaned his pipes. Sack reached into the cabinet under his workbench and brought out two containers. One was a bottle of Olde English Lemon Oil Furniture Polish and the other was an old can of Johnson's Paste Floor Wax. I asked him what he did with those(get ready here it comes) and he said that is what he uses to maintain his pipes. My immediate response was to cringe. I looked at him intently and in disbelief. I was expecting a smile or something to indicate that he was kidding me. He said he was serious. He said he picked that tip up while in France. Said he was in a pipe shop in Nance and the shop attendant told him it's what they used on their pipes. I asked if the lemon oil and the wax, which had a strong odor of some type of solvent, didn't affect the taste of the tobacco as he smoked. He swore he had never detected any off flavors. He said he used the polish about every six months and he waxed them about every 3-4 months. We went back inside and he allowed me to check his pipes for any unusual odors and I didn't detect anything. I asked him about the tobacco he smoked and he said he only smoked one kind and that was Sir Walter Raleigh. Said he'd been smoking it since before going in the army. When asked about trying other types he asked me why should he? He said he like the SWR and didn't see any need to confuse the issue. I didn't argue.

After getting home I thought about the furniture polish and wax. I'm still thinking about it. Both have strong odors and for the life of me I can't understand why they don't affect the taste of his tobacco. OK here it is. I would like for my brothers here to put their heads together collectively and decide how it's possible that furniture polish and floor wax can be used to maintain briar pipes with affecting the taste of the tobacco. I don't know why Sack would make up such a story but I just am having a difficult time accepting it as truth. :scratch:

AJ

AJ,

I have to apologize, the major part of what you posted for me was the connection you two had concerning WW2 and the battle of the bulge. Pipes be damned, spending time with a gent who experienced the Battle of the Bulge along with your father, my eyes are far from dry.

Warning - no pipe content...

I mentioned in a sermon once that my father had served in the Navy and was on a ship that delivered marines in the Invasion of Guam. One of the guys in the congregation came up after the service and told me he was one of those marines. My father spoke very little about the details of his service. We caught little snippets, and right before his death, he annotated a copy of Morrison's New Guinea and the Marianas. He did talk about Guam from time to time. It was great for me to hear another man's version of the events that day.

That's a remarkable story; thanks for sharing it. It's of a piece but within it are smaller stories. Well-written!

AJ, STOP, step back away from the furniture polish and wax. You may not detect any taste of smell from either of them but, that doesn't mean it wont be harmful. Natural gas has no smell yet it is deadly (they add a smell to it), a number of poisons haven't any taste yet they'll kill you just the same. Use pure Caranuba wax sir, it's food grade, that's what all the carvers HERE use. And if I haven't convinced you yet, give me a call.

Well, I won't argue with Cart against a simple hard wax. But, scents are volatile and many quickly wear away. That after shave doesn't last forever. Even if you soaked the exterior with a pure scent, you only smell it and not taste it. Take stains, they don't go very deep in most woods -- particularly harder woods. If a stain can't make it to the tobacco, a bit of car wax won't either.

JKenP":6z8fien9 said:
Well, I won't argue with Cart against a simple hard wax. But, scents are volatile and many quickly wear away.  That after shave doesn't last forever.   Even if you soaked the exterior with a pure scent, you only smell it and not taste it.  Take stains, they don't go very deep in most woods -- particularly harder woods.  If a stain can't make it to the tobacco, a bit of car wax won't either.
People aren't always careful when applying things and they can get it inside the bowl and not even know it. I say better safe then sorry specially when there are safer things to use.
Also, I believe if one is going to do anything, do it the right way or not at all.
And I've seen many pipes that the carver didn't sand the inside of the bowl after staining and they showed stain that had dripped down into the bowl, but they use alcohol based stains and not the ones sold at Home Depot for furniture.
The proper tool for the job is the secret here.

Dont know the answer to the polishing question but i would take Cartaphilius's word for it.

But what a great story, these men wen't to hell and back.!

Kinda seems like the old goat has gotten by doing it his way since 1945. :)

JKenP":s8a0ov99 said:
Kinda seems like the old goat has gotten by doing it his way since 1945. :)
Each of us are different and not just in opinions. It could be his Grabow's and such have a shellac coating like most drugstore pipes slowing down most anything from soaking into the pipe. And who knows what may happen to his health down the road. When Strychnine is taken in small amounts it builds up in your system and doesn't kill you right away but, one day..........
As a young man I use to do alot of things that nowadays is considered poisonous and deadly and I have paid for it, why it didn't kill me God only knows the, other guy may not be so lucky.

Hiya AJ, heaps and heaps of respect and admiration going out to Sack right now but PLEASE do not use his home method of waxing and polishing, as Ron has stated the wax to use is Carnauba, even Carnauba mixed with Beeswax is usable, I used it until I finally found a source in the UK of pure Carnauba, I use that now and would never go backwards. No disrespect to your new found Buddy but I cannot see what he uses as safe or advisable, your choice my friend and you will surely do as you feel right, just hope you will go down the Carnauba road and not the Sack road with waxing Briar.

Take care my friend. :sunny: 

Fatman":9dgbmdgx said:
AJ,

I have to apologize, the major part of what you posted for me was the connection you two had concerning WW2 and the battle of the bulge. Pipes be damned, spending time with a gent who experienced the Battle of the Bulge along with your father, my eyes are far from dry.
Thanks John for relating that to us. Indeed it was a very special afternoon and I was brought to tears on several occasions as I listened to Sack. My Dad wouldn't speak of his experience during the war until the last couple of years of his life. While listening to Sack that afternoon I remembered something my Dad had told me that took place the day after Christmas in 1944 and as I remembered as I listened to Sacks description of that same battle my heart went out to Sack but the tears that were running down my cheeks were for my Dad. Dad had met this guy in boot camp at Fort Jackson, SC. The guy was from NJ and he and my Dad became fast friends. It turned out they were assigned to the same outfit and they served together. Dad had told me that his friend's family had strong connections to the Mob in NJ and no one in the outfit would bother him or my Dad for fear of reprisal. My Dad always laughed about that. They became inseparable always together in the field or when having some R&R. My Dad's name was Archie and his buddy always called him Arch. On the day after Christmas they were about to be over run by the Krauts and Dad and his buddy were operating a .30 cal machine gun mounted in the back of a jeep. Dad was firing and his buddy was feeding the belt of ammo into the gun. Dad said it was pretty heavy fighting with guys falling all around and screams could be heard everywhere. My Dad said he was so scared that he was about to shake to pieces but he wasn't about to run and leave his buddies who were wounded. He just kept firing. Suddenly my Dad heard his friend call "Arch" in an anguished voice. His friend had slumped down beside him and he was holding his insides in his hand. Dad said his friend had a terrorized look on his face as he sat there and he said to my dad, "Oh Arch, help me." He died as my Dad cradled him in his arms. My Dad cried like a baby anytime he told this story said the helplessness he felt was the worst of it. I cry every time I remember it. Even now. War is such a Hell and a waste. You can be sure I'll be spending other afternoons with Sack. I think my Dad will be there too.

AJ

Heckuva story. My brother rescued from Mom pictures uncles had taken whilein the South Pacifi. She had hidden them from us because, in many cases, the boys were posing with topless native girls:) I've always wondered about the stories those pics could tell.

Re: furniture polish and stuff -- I've heard of pipers using it, but don't myself. On occasion I've used a furniture polishing rag my missus has used for buffing waxed furniture. It works okay, but I generally reach for Denicare or Paragon when in a pipe-polishing mood.

Never thought about using furniture polish, just always used some canned Carnuba wax on an old cloth I made from a 100% cotton flannel shirt back decades ago. It's been used for so long now that I really don't need to add wax anymore, just buff with the cloth and the wax now impregnated in it. I don't keep a high polish on my pipes, just a soft sheen does it for me :twisted: 

I guess you're one of the few that can lube up a Magnum, FP. :twisted: 

Well, I don't think I ever do that way but the fact is that he's done it for 60+ years without problems. Lemon oil isn't one of my favorite scents either. I remember it was overused at my fraternity house and it would be mid-week before the lounge was normal.

Two-part response...

AJ, that story was a joy. A real joy. I didn't tear up, but I got chills. Every hair on my arm stood up, because moments and interactions like these seem rare these days, the kind that are meaningful, real and honest. I had a similar interaction with an older fella who was selling some pipes and racks here in the Reno area, he was a world-traveled salesman, and no longer smoked a pipe, but we ended up talking more about life in general than the business at hand. Classy fella. I went back a few times before he moved (which is why he was scaling back his collection), but I felt blessed to have such visits. Sometimes the stories and folks at a B&M are the best around. Thanks so much for taking the time and care to share that with us. :D :D :D

For the pipe care confusion, I have to remember sometimes that for one, pipes are personal. Every one of us HAS to find a way that works. Sometimes we adapt and adopt, or come up with outlandish solutions (which sometimes work and sometimes, not so much). There are obviously better ways than others, concerns and debates. In the end, I'd chalk it up to a fascinating revelation, even if it was only for Sack. Of course I'll stick with what I know, which is carnauba wax, nose oil, and other tidbits I've learned from people here and elsewhere. They work, so no sense in hitting the reset button on my end.

Enjoy the moment, don't sweat the details. Your new friend and you might not agree, but ain't that what makes an interesting friendship? So long as its based on respect, interesting interaction and the day is enjoyed by both. Your pipes may be carnauba, his, lemon oil... viva la diversité.

8)

Kyle Weiss":dk6rvinv said:
Two-part response...

AJ, that story was a joy.   A real joy.  I didn't tear up, but I got chills.   Every hair on my arm stood up, because moments and interactions like these seem rare these days, the kind that are meaningful, real and honest.   I had a similar interaction with an older fella who was selling some pipes and racks here in the Reno area, he was a world-traveled salesman, and no longer smoked a pipe, but we ended up talking more about life in general than the business at hand.   Classy fella.   I went back a few times before he moved (which is why he was scaling back his collection), but I felt blessed to have such visits.   Sometimes the stories and folks at a B&M are the best around.   Thanks so much for taking the time and care to share that with us.   :D :D  :D

For the pipe care confusion, I have to remember sometimes that for one, pipes are personal.   Every one of us HAS to find a way that works.  Sometimes we adapt and adopt, or come up with outlandish solutions (which sometimes work and sometimes, not so much).  There are obviously better ways than others, concerns and debates.   In the end, I'd chalk it up to a fascinating revelation, even if it was only for Sack.   Of course I'll stick with what I know, which is carnauba wax, nose oil, and other tidbits I've learned from people here and elsewhere.   They work, so no sense in hitting the reset button on my end.  

Enjoy the moment, don't sweat the details.   Your new friend and you might not agree, but ain't that what makes an interesting friendship?   So long as its based on respect, interesting interaction and the day is enjoyed by both.   Your pipes may be carnauba, his, lemon oil... viva la diversité.  

8)

Kyle, every word you wrote is truth. I intend to keep visiting Shack as often as I can. He's a real treasure. If using furniture polish and floor wax on his pipes makes him happy then who am I to say this is wrong. It was something that took me by surprise as I had never considered it on my own or even heard of someone else using them. That was basically what I was asking, if anyone had heard of this and could Shack just be pulling my leg.
? I know old geezers like to have a little fun with us young whipper snappers on occasion. :p  But he seems to be a dear old man who is willing to share his memories and knowledge of a common interest with me. His connection to my Dad's army life is icing on the cake. Maybe a big slice of the cake. :) 

AJ

When I was about eleven, some guy my father knew (who was in his 80s at the time) was telling me some ridiculous tale.  Of course, wide-eyed and interested, he delivered his story flawlessly, figuring I was taken, hook line and sinker.   Years later (ala today) I felt bad because I didn't realize why he was so crushed when I delivered this from-the-mouths-of-babes, uncouth rebellion after his yarn had commenced:

"Wow!  You're better at telling lies than my dad is!" complete with a wide grin.   :fpalm:

In all honesty, I loved the story, but fiction was one of my favorite subjects back then.  I think he made some comment about me making a terrible politician.  

Anyway, yeah, you made a good friend, AJ, and the coincidence of him knowing your father's army unit...geez.  That's something else.   Soak up as much of that friendship as you can!  

8)

Actually, have long used a rag saturated with Pledge to polish bowl and stems. Good job of shining and preventing oxidation with no affect in terms of tainting taste. Earl