FVF

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peckinpahhombre

Reaction score
Anybody have a bead on some SG FVF? I love the stuff, but it's harder to find than an honest politician. Does anyone know why this stuff is so scarce? Is it a marketing ploy or is it real?

FVF has been consistently available in the States since early June. It's the most of it I've ever seen. I bought 10 pounds during the summer and fall as well as 14 pounds of BBF. It looks like the current supply is about done til the next round makes it here, but you can still find pounds at paylesspipes and probably a couple other vendors if you look. Don't bother with tins. They're not cost effective or as easy to find. A few places still have BBF tins also.

my local B&M has it in both bulk and tins, I got some of the bulk, pretty tastey.
I would imagine there is probably a difference tween the bulk and the tin stuff? any one had both ?

I have never tried the bulk. No reason really, I just prefer the tin format. Unfortunately payless cogars doesn't ship outside the US so that isn't an option for me. I will keep looking around.

I would imagine there is probably a difference tween the bulk and the tin stuff? any one had both ?
Sure. In the case of FVF, tinned is better, bulk is cheaper.

Something's going on when it gets tinned right off the bat that isn't going on when it's going months through the pipeline just wrapped in watertight but gas-permeable plastic, and that translates into a noticeable difference. Jarring bulk once you get it starts the clock at a much later point and, consequently, there's a different outcome.

Assuming a minimum of two years either way (sealed tin / sealed jar), tinned stuff has some of the smooth, polished quality that German Virginias have ; jarred bulk is edgier -- like the edges of its flavor aren't folded over and back into it the way tinned stuff is.

Pretty good indeed, either way. But different goods.

FWIW

:face:

Yak":r93w4eq0 said:
Sure. In the case of FVF, tinned is better, bulk is cheaper.

Something's going on when it gets tinned right off the bat that isn't going on when it's going months through the pipeline just wrapped in watertight but gas-permeable plastic, and that translates into a noticeable difference. Jarring bulk once you get it starts the clock at a much later point and, consequently, there's a different outcome.

Assuming a minimum of two years either way (sealed tin / sealed jar), tinned stuff has some of the smooth, polished quality that German Virginias have ; jarred bulk is edgier -- like the edges of its flavor aren't folded over and back into it the way tinned stuff is.

Pretty good indeed, either way. But different goods.

FWIW

hmm. i just jarred up a pound of this this morning. well almost a pound, put aside an ounce for me to try it while green. i think my local B&M has some tins, i'll pick those up and cellar em as well i think to try them both out. so far pretty tasty. just got it lit pretty much though.

Now that the good Rhodesian Virginia is no more, at less than two years you'll wonder what the fuss is about.

Yak":2n6up7rc said:
Now that the good Rhodesian Virginia is no more, at less than two years you'll wonder what the fuss is about.

this makes me sad.

I started giving away my tins of aged FVF some months ago before I knew better, but I have one tin with some years on it, fortunately. FVF new/green was lost on me. The tobacco hoarding of this stuff is what it is. Part hype, part truth, part ego.

Fortunately there's other tobaccos out there worth getting, too, but patience and timing will win the FVF war.

8)