G&H

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipetongue1

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Morn' All, Has anyone heard of a new flake from G&H called Mellow Mahogany Flake? Thanx, Ken
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :pirat:

Described as:

"Mahogany - available either as a flake or ready-rubbed A traditional tobacco containing old Belt Virginia, cool and slow burning, with a very distinctive Mahogany aroma, which non pipe smokers find particularly attractive"

Now, the mention of virginian in reference to G&H gets my mouth watering... but I just went over and sniffed my guitar made of honduran mahogany and have to say I am clueless as to what the topping might be referencing. Is there some herb or other named mahogany? The price per board foot has kept me away from ever cutting a plank and it probably does smell wonderful when working with it, but I can't imagine wanting to stuff any in my pipe.

It just has to be good, but I think I'll wait for a review. Perhaps you can brave the first tin and report back?

Mahogany is a type of tobacco, not a topping.

From GLPease Cumberland tin:
Robust and possessing a subdued sweetness, Cumberland is a delightfully orchestrated suite of American tobaccos, featuring a rare and exquisite ,MAHOGANY KENTUCKY aged in bales for twenty years. Red and matured Virginias establish a theme; the Kentucky and a pianissimo of Perique create the variations. Pure, natural tobacco flavors are harmonized by delicate arpeggios and underscored by deep, resonant tones. The coda is lovely and lingering - a perfect finish to a rich performance. Best savored slowly.

Then again knowing the Gawiths habit of ruining tobacco with funky smells I wouldn't put it past em to gunk it up with something.

puros_bran":6vm9r09m said:
Then again knowing the Gawiths habit of ruining tobacco with funky smells I wouldn't put it past em to gunk it up with something.
Gaw-Hogany?

puros_bran":peig83cy said:
Mahogany is a type of tobacco, not a topping.

Ahh... I knew I was missing something there. Although, apart from that tin description, I can find no reference to mahogany kentucky.

puros_bran":peig83cy said:

Personally, I don't mind their toppings.... when I am expecting them. It would be nice if they owned up to them in their descriptions. It's when they are supposed to be straight tobacco and end up tasting like the bottom of my mom's purse that I get a bit irked.

There used to be a lot more tobacco variety's than there are today. Kentucky,Maryland,Mahogany,Ohio, and Tennessee used to be distinguished separately much the same as all the different orientals used to be identified separately, now for the most part they are just called Burley. The lack of 'identifiers' is as much a reason for the loss of old blends as anything else. When guys like Pease or Morleysson attempts to 'replicate' a blend of yesteryear it must be extremely frustrating to end up with generic Burley and Oriental instead of all the sub-species available to blenders of old.

puros_bran":oo1hl5rf said:
Ruined Gawith tobaccos accepted here :lol:

:D I like their black ropes, unscented the rest of it you can have.
I wont say I'll never like any but to date I've yet to find one, they have something going for them or they wouldn't have so many followers,just not for me.

I can definately agree the scented Gawith blends are love/ hate, I just happen to be in the "love" camp.

Like the unscented, regular stuff too. They really start off with top notch tobacco.

Hud":8xg7z7f5 said:
puros_bran":8xg7z7f5 said:
Ruined Gawith tobaccos accepted here :lol:
ditto. :bounce:

pipetongue1":46cq1z6e said:
Morn' All, Has anyone heard of a new flake from G&H called Mellow Mahogany Flake? Thanx, Ken
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :pirat:
Have not, but looking forward to trying it and seeing what others think of it