G.L Pease Picks...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiedPiper62

Reaction score
Hello. Hope all Brothers & Sisters are well... I'm in a quandary about the most Latakia-Forward of the G.L. Pease blends. I've had Odyssey, Quiet Nights and Gaslight and am now smoking Westminster which has a nice Latakia kick, but am wondering thru personal experience if any of the previously mentioned blends or any other Pease tobaccos (Abingdon) etc. may have even MORE Latakia? please share your thoughts on the subject... Much Appreciated, PiedPiper62

I have had only 2 GLP blends with latakia. The Abingdon is supposed to have the most latakia in it. I really enjoy it. But, I also enjoy D&R English Hoopla, which to me, is a bit stronger and tastier. The other GLP blend I have is Caravan. It is more of a mellow latakia blend. Again, it is enjoyable, but not all that strong or smoky as with Abingdon and other latakia blends. I wish I could help you more, but I'm sure there are others on the board that can help.

The only way you'l know is by smoking a tin of each of his blends with Latakia and decide by what YOUR tastes and smoking experience tells you. :twisted:

Pied,

I think you've hit the higher end of the latakia scale with the Pease blends (Gaslight, Odyssey & Westminster). Haven't smoked Abingdon but I really enjoy Odyssey & WM, Gaslight not as much. The only other suggestion I would have is Lagonda which has a rich, creamy smokiness to it, as well as that nice tumbled broken flake like cut of the early Old London blends which makes for a really slow smoke.

Don't forgot Charing Cross and Blackpoint, both of these are latakia forward in the flavor profile Charing Cross more so than Blackpoint, but I find BP to be more complex, plus I like the perique.

Grab yourself some C&D Pirate Kake if a latbomb is what you're after. 75% latakia.

I'm no Pease expert, for I don't buy a lot of tinned tobacco anymore, but I enjoyed both Abingdon and Blackpoint, with a greater leaning towards the former. For the most part, my bias is for more latakia than lesser. I don't feel you can go wrong with either.

I think Abingdon has the most latakia, I think. Blackpoint has a lower proportion, but I think the flavor/aroma of the lat comes out a bit more.

If you want to look beyond GLP for a major lat bomb, track down some Hermit Tobacco Captain Earle's 10 Russians.

+1 for Ten Russians if you want over the top Lat.

My favorite Pease Lat mixture is Westminster. I've always felt that he tends to balance all components pretty well. Nothing he does has the "in your face" quality you might be seeking.

That said, I think Sextant would be the closest to a Lat powerhouse.

When I still loved the Lat, my favorites were Maltese Falcon and Odyssey.
A while ago, I sold all of my GLP Lats in one big sale here on BoB.
I guess now, my Dunhill and McClelland Lats will be in some demand.    ;)

Some of my current G.L. Pease in inventory…
Cairo, Cumberland, Embarcadero, Fillmore, Haddo's Delight, JackKnife Plug, Montgomery, Regents Flake, Stratford, Telegraph Hill, Temple Bar, Triple Play, Union Square.   Top favorites bolded.  

I would be fine with nothing but GLP and C&D, except for my very favorite, Hamborger Veermaster.

I think Gaslight is among the ones that have the most. Probably Quiet Nights as well.
I love the GL Pease blends. As well as the C&D. But I cannot smoke them anymore. I do not know if it's their tobaccos, or the anti-fungus agent, or something else, but they highly irritate my gums to the point that I had to stop smoking them. It doesn't matter if the tobacco is moist, or not; if it's a Virginia or a Latakia.
It's really a shame as Chelsea Morning and Embarcadero are huge favorites of mine.

Carlos":n8b9u282 said:
Do not forget to explore the Drucquer & Sons line.  Great work by GL Pease to bring those to us.
I agree. Levant Mixture might be the one for you.

I have some Blairgowie, but I was very disappointed with it--one note, fairly blah. My experience was.the complete opposite of the reviews.

Westminster remains the Pease-latakia highpoint for me. I stopped chasing for somehting better and started just enjoying.