G.L. Pease Union Square ---- the thread

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Through his munificence, Greg was nice enough to have a tin sent my way on account of an unrelated issue, and I am pleased to offer my first impressions here. Although I have yet to only smoke a few bowls from the sample (which was tinned on 5/8 and opened today, 5/26) and thus cannot offer anything in the way of a proper review (perhaps later once I have had a chance to work through this one, and perhaps another tin or two soon to be acquired), but since we are discussing it...

G.L. Pease, Union Square

A predominantly light brown and tan thinly sliced cake which smells of oatmeal, raisins, and fresh whole wheat bread, Union Square comes ready to smoke straight out of the tin. It packs well and takes to the flame with ease, offering a classic straight Virginia flavor profile which is initially zesty and just a bit sweet. Over the course of the bowl, the zest decreased and very subtle notes of wood and leather began to emerge, with the sweetness deepening. At the start, Union Square reminded me of McClelland’s 5100 - McCraine’s Red Ribbon/Flake, although seems to possess more depth as well as bit more body. In the middle it called to mind Rattray’s Old Gowrie. At the end, however, it told me that it was a classic American flue-cured Virginia. Quite bite-free, the finish is dry and very satisfying.

Finding myself increasingly dissatisfied with the heavily processed European blends, I have been smoking a lot of American tobaccos as of late, and for all intents and purposes there are but two sources for finished leaf of this type and quality (excluding the McNeils, who do something quite extraordinary, but rather different): the Tarlers of Cornell and Diehl and Mark Ryan of D&R, both located in North Carolina, a state rich in tobacco history. Let us wish both continuing good work, and ultimately survival, in times which are rather trying for the industry as a whole, and for specialty artisans in particular. Oh, and Greg should be thanked as well for keeping the dream alive. Viva la revolution!

It should be said that the sample on which this first impression is based was tinned less than three weeks before opening, but there is every indication that this one will be winner. I much look forward to exploring it further.

That tears it, I'm a HUGE fan of VA Flakes, I'm ordering some ... :cheers:

Very nice reviews gentlemen, you've got me PAD up and running like someone with dysentery :lol:

Well, I popped a tin of Union Square last night and let me say after just one bowl it's one of my favorites. I'm not a reviewer by any means, I'll just have to say I like the 'simple','real' Va tobacco and the natural sweetness that develops as you smoke the bowl down, I also like the sweet aftertaste your left with. As others have said it's not too wet out of the tin, just right for smoking immediately. I smoked it in my Tinsky Rhodesian, which is an excellent smoker anyway, but this smoked all the way down without alot of wet dottle, which is unusual for me.
Excellent Job Greg, I would have to give this tobacco 10 of 10 stars. I can't wait to see what cellaring will do to this tobacco.

I will let my review stand on it's own, but only to add that it's a great everyday smoke. Very dependable and tasty.

What more needs to be said?

:D

Matt

I have been smoking this everyday since the pipeshow and it would seem that I have dedicated a tan rusticated huntsman by tom Eltang to this incredible blend. sometimes about midbowl I get a hint of coconut. does anyone else get this?

vaperfavour":3c2ggic0 said:
I have been smoking this everyday since the pipeshow and it would seem that I have dedicated a tan rusticated huntsman by tom Eltang to this incredible blend. sometimes about midbowl I get a hint of coconut. does anyone else get this?
I couldn't be happier with the response Union Square has been receiving. I'm thrilled that people are enjoying it. Thanks for all the kind words! I find myself really liking it, too, and have been smoking more of it than anything else since the first prototype arrived. That's a little out of character for a guy who is predominately dedicated to Latakia blends.

I haven't noted coconut, but it often presents hints of tropical fruits for me. I have picked up pretty dramatic coconut notes in some of the other Fog City blends, though. For instance, Montgomery, with a couple years behind it, offers hints of coconut as soon as I pull the ring. The natural flavours and aromas of tobaccos with some age can sometimes be really surprising. Cocoa, coffee, cinnamon, cardamom, coconut, papaya, citrus notes - I wonder if the first aromatics were created as an attempt to amplify some of what happened naturally.

Cheers,
Greg

Already finished a tin. For me it's right up there with FVF as far as depth and complexity....although a little lighter in body. With time I think it will become even more complex than FVF.

You know its funny Mr. Pease that even though you are more of a latakia man, you produce the most interesting virginia blends out there. Even though I love many of your blends, it is your virginia blends I find most unique. What inspired Union Square? Was it your experience with Ye Olde Signe?

finished my second bowl of this blend this afternoon. WOW! This is outstanding. Mixing red and brights is a great idea. I did get a bit of a nicotine hit and I'm a nico whimp. This is an "A" blend and I don't usually judge on the basis of two bowls. I just ordered 10 tins in an order with a buddy. This may become my favorite, will shall see. I highly recommend this blend.

TC

Pleckzepiper":7qbqndqu said:
The bigger tins will be welcomed when they appear soon ....... 8)

Greg says 8 oz tins are in the works and
should start showing up in a few weeks.
I wish I could get a five pound can. :bounce:

I got a sample of this recently and I think it's pretty good. Mine is kind of dry, and I wouldn't suggest drying out this blend very much. At some points in the bowl I get the harsh dry feeling on the roof of my mouth you can get by smoking too much OGS or another straight VA. Not much of one, but I can see it becoming worse if it were any drier.

I was excited to try this as it's a new blend to me (nobody imports this into the UK AFAIK) & I love VA like nothing else.

The tin was a little moist, so I let it air 2 hours. Packed lightly into a small Peterson. Rubs out nice & easy into ribbons of long leaf - so far so good and as expected from a GLP product.

The intital few puffs were very light, like breathing air, but this improved into a good, dense, rich, voluminous smoke. I enjoyed the taste, which is like hay, vanilla top notes, richening out into almonds & nougat, toast, oats (oatmeal is present throughout), sometimes cocoa, othertimes tannin- like a merlot wine- all good and complex. not boring, as it changes as you smoke the bowl, almost with each puff. It burns reasonably cleanly and demands go go slow, threatening to bite a bit, but maybe I'm being too greedy and puffing too fast ;-)
It's got some good nicotine power. I can take nicotine hits (Partagas Black Label cigars etc) and this ain't for the squeamish.

I am going to be really picky now and this might be heresy but here goes....
The tobacco was a slight disappointment insofar as I expected a smoother, more rounded, more mature taste and this is at times a bit tangy and atworst slightly sour, like it's a bit green or immature. I'm comparing it to my gold standard VA, Full Virginia Flake. I think maybe my GLP tin could do with cellaring for a year as the FVF has been left to mature 2 years, so perhaps this isn't a fair comparison. My point is that FVF is half the price, so I expected more from Union Square right from the start. But don't let that put you off. The tobacco is very good, and would be excellent given a little maturing.
But after all that, FVF cube cut method still wins for me.

I realize this is a very old post but, instead of starting a new I figured it be better just to bring this one back.
Recently a friend gave me a bit of GL Pease-Union Square. The first couple of times I smoked it, it tasted like Dirt, really. Being that I smoke cobs most of the time I changed to another pipe, a meer and got the same results. Well last night I figured I'd give it another try in a brand new cob. Well, it was much smoother but still tasted like dirt. Is it just me or maybe the way I'm use to loading my pipe. I'm unfamiliar with the cut of this toby and cut it down before loading it. Or is it that I'm just to use to what I always smoke Aro's and 5 Brothers. I Have way too many pipes but as said I mostly smoke my 3 cobs and a Meer. They all rest for at least a week and I clean them once a week. Anyone have a answer?
I might add that the toby is a year old so I would say its aged well and not too wet. Still a rookie after all this time.

If you are used to aros and 5 bros, then yes it is most likely going to take some time and effort before your palate "learns" to discern and detect the more subtle and ligjter notes in something like union square.

If you've had other straight va stuff and been able to enjoy it tho then i really have no answer or explanation.

Thank you, I think your probably right.
I inhale about half the time and that seemed to be just fine but, it was the after taste after exhaling that was of a dirt taste.
Just have to keep at it I reckon or just smoke what I'm use to.

I take light exception to this notion...as a newbie, I actually found myself bored rather quickly with aromatics and on a whim (and a suggestion at my Tinder Box) picked up some of Greg's "Union Square." Perhaps I know my palette or it's tuned just the way I like it and can jump right in to these things, but I found this tobacco to be dynamic, buttery, toasty and sweet without the flavoring--I felt like I stepped into a whole other realm! Granted, each time I revisit it, I get even more depth of flavor as I get to know this tobacco, but this shouldn't discourage anyone from giving it a try. Perhaps it was just a good night when I first sampled it, the stars (and tastebuds) were aligned properly, and it went in my favor. 8)

Well, for 42 years I've been smoking, chewing and rubbing it into my belly. 30 years of it was Camel non-filters. I've been smoking a pipe off an on for a few years now and never really found a toby I enjoyed till I found SPS Molto Dolce. Ah! real smooth without bite and flavorful to ME. 5 Brothers on the other hand has the needed Nicotine I thirst for.
So I believe every bodies taste is different. Yes some may like some of the same or even a lot of the same but, I don't believe everything.
Now for instance, would you eat a tuna-fish and grape jelly sandwich? No fooling, I would and I reckon there's somethings you'd eat that I wouldn't (probably a whole lot).

Incidentally, I had a tuna fish and cranberry sandwich quite by accident. Thinking it was actually Turkey Salad, I figured I'd get gourmet and have one of those fancy "Thanksgiving sandwiches" folks are into these days. Well, lesson learned: It tasted... GREAT! So, you aren't too far off the marker, sir. :lol:

Everyone's taste is different, this is truth. As is their tolerance to Lady N, it would seem! :lol: Nothing like a good sip of Tito's Texas vodka and some straight Virginia, though... that'll clear the thought process right quick. :lol: At least for me. 8)