gandalfpc's cellar and question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfpc

Reaction score
Howdy folks - a newbie here with a budding cellar and a question to the experts out there.

Below is my current cellar, looking for some suggestions of important baccy's not represented

The only one on my "must get" list is Esoterica StoneHaven (hopefully available soon), and if it's not on the list below I haven't tried it yet :)

I am not looking to branch off in a new direction, just to be sure I haven't missed any extra fine examples of english, vaper, and a touch of oriental and special/unusual

---

total about 25 pounds:

Maker Mix tin/bulk Quantity

A.C. Peterson Escudo 50g tin 25
Balkan Sasieni Balkan Sasieni 50g tin 3
Balkan Sasieni Balkan Sasieni bulk 4
C & D Bow-Legged Bear 2 oz tin 2
C & D Briar Fox 2 oz tin 2
C & D Exhausted Rooster 2 oz tin 2
C & D Mississippi Mud 2 oz tin 2
C & D Opening Night 2 oz tin 2
C & D Pirate Kake 8 oz bag 1
C & D Sunday Picnic 2 oz tin 2
Davidoff Flake Medallions 50g tin 15
Davidoff Royalty 50g tin 4
Davidoff Scottish Mixture 50g tin 2
Esoterica Dorchester 8 oz bag 1
Esoterica Pembroke 8 oz bag 1
Esoterica Penzance 1 lb bag 1
Esoterica Penzance 50g tin 2
Esoterica StoneHaven 1 lb bag 0
G.L. Pease Abingdon 2 oz tin 2
G.L. Pease Blackpoint 2 oz tin 2
G.L. Pease Charing Cross 2 oz tin 2
G.L. Pease Fillmore 2 oz tin 2
G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight 2 oz tin 2
G.L. Pease Kensington 2 oz tin 2
G.L. Pease Odyssey 2 oz tin 2
G.L. Pease Piccadilly 2 oz tin 2
G.L. Pease Union Square 2 oz tin 2
G.L. Pease Union Square 8 oz bag 1
G.L. Pease Westminster 2 oz tin 2
Gawith & H Bob's Chocolate Flake 50g tin 2
Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake bulk 4
Lane BCA bulk 20
Mac Baren Honey and Chocolate 100g tin 1
MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake one lb box 1
McClelland Blackwoods Flake 50g tin 1
McClelland Grand Orientals – Classic Samsun 50g tin 2
McClelland Grand Orientals – Drama Reserve 50g tin 2
Rattray's Hal O the Wynd 100g tin 3
Rattray's Marlin Flake 100g tin 2
Rattray's Old Gowrie 100g tin 1
Sam Gawith 1792 Flake 50g tin 2
Sam Gawith Balkan Flake 50g tin 2
Sam Gawith Best Brown Flake 50g tin 2
Sam Gawith Brown #4 50g tin 3
Sam Gawith Christmas Mixture 2007 50g tin 1
Sam Gawith Commonwealth 50g tin 2
Sam Gawith Fire Dance 50g tin 1
Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake one lb box 2
Sam Gawith Grousemoore 50g tin 2
Sam Gawith Navy Flake one lb box 1
Sam Gawith Perfection 1 lb bag 1
Sam Gawith Squadron Leader 50g tin 2
Solani #633 Virginia Flake 50g tin 2
Solani Aged Burley Flake 50g tin 1
Solani X Sweet Mystery 50g tin 2
Stanwell Melange 50g tin 2
Stanwell Vanilla 50g tin 4
Stokkebye English Luxury bulk 2
Stokkebye Proper English bulk 20

That Looks like a good list gandalf. I would suggest you check out LJPerretti, royal blend is GRAND! Also, Pipeworks and Wilke no524 and no10.

Also try to get your hands on Stokkebyes Balkan Supreme. Pipesandcigars had some bulk not too long ago.
And don't forget the Trinity by adding some Old Gowrie to the Rattray pack

that's all i can think of right now

I almost got the Gowrie, but wasn't sure how similar it would be to the others I had (was trying to avoid similar tobacco's overall, though a search through vapers and english has that effect)

If you think Gowrie is unique I will certainly get some.

Haven't heard of the brand LJPerretti - will see if the local store has some to try. I don't suppose the royal is like davidoff royal?

big fan of the Proper English, and about to try the Balkans on my list (they are in the mail) - should the Balkans be as nice as I hope (strong like proper english?) then I will certainly try Stokkebyes Balkan Supreme.

Lotta stuff on that list in my cellar.
At first glance, I see no C&D and not
much GLP. Those would be my suggestions.

I think gowrie is the mildest of the 3 and the one without perique(if there is I can't tast it) it's just good to have since u already have the other 2.

Pipeworks and perretti are local shops and unless ur on location, can only be mail ordered (except p&w which doesnt have a store)

You seem to have most of the good stuff. I was lucky enough to get 3oz of stonehaven at my local shop. Tobaccoreviews.com is my reference and I just make sure that I have their top stuff.

how does this sound for a potential C&D order:

Opening Night
Sunday Picnic
Pirate Kake
Mississippi Mud
Billy Budd
Epiphony

could use some direction on the GL Pease... quite a few varieties, all highly rated...

In the C&D I would add Exhausted Rooster and Briar Fox. And on the GLP side I would alot more Union Square and Fillmore. These are well represented in my cellar.

Steve

Sunday Picnic and Exhausted Rooster are at the tops of my C&D list. Nice cellar BTW.

Ok, placed an order so I could wrap my palate around the new items and decide which to stock up on in quantity - here are the new additions...

C & D Bow-Legged Bear 2 oz tin x2
C & D Briar Fox 2 oz tin x2
C & D Exhausted Rooster 2 oz tin x2
C & D Mississippi Mud 2 oz tin x2
C & D Opening Night 2 oz tin x2
C & D Pirate Kake 8 oz bag x1
C & D Sunday Picnic 2 oz tin x2

G.L. Pease Fillmore 2 oz tin x2
G.L. Pease Odyssey 2 oz tin x2

Rattray's Gowrie 100g tin x1

waiting to try the Union Square (still in the mail) to see how much to stock also

The inventory list at the top of this thread has been edited to include these items

Felt a little "weak in the Pease" - added this order last night

G.L. Pease:
Abingdon 2oz x2
Blackpoint 2oz x2
Charing Cross 2oz x2
Kensington 2oz x2
Piccadilly 2oz x2
Union Square 8oz x1

Solani:
Virginia Flake - 633 50g x2
X - Sweet Mystery 50g x2

- have many things to sample now (figure over the rest of the year) to determine which deserve an extra pound or two...

The inventory list at the top of this thread has been edited to include these items

Great list so far;

But I would add at least one tin of McConnell's Scottish Cake

Always appreciate the advice of an old salt :) Adding a tin of McConnell's

of course I mean two tins, my TAD will not allow me to buy singles anymore...

GL Pease Ashbury is the closest blend on the market to the taste of Renaissance. Different, but similar. GL Pease Robusto is a stout cigar leaf blend if you like stronger blends. The C&D Billy Budd was a good suggestion. Just don't close your mind to a corase blend. It's great. The New GL Pease Chelsea Morning hold great promise. Did you have GL Pease Haddos Delight on your list for aging? C&D's new burley flakes are very interesting. Of the three, if you only bought one, get #2. But I am liking them all.

Thanks for the input - much appreciated

I was not aware that Renaissance was no longer available - Ashbury shall find it's way into my cellar

Still trying to get some Billy Budd (was out of stock last order), and had been looking over Rubusto just last night - might as well give the Ashbury a traveling companion... I will look over the Chelsea description at the same time.

Haddo's is on the way already, along with a few others I am looking forward to :)

and I have yet to taste my Solani Aged Burley Flake (which will be my first straight burley) - should the burley prove interesting I will check out C&D's offering. Being an ex-cigarette smoker I imagine it will not be my favorite category, but I will taste it later today with an open mind...