Gaslight

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
hedgehog on Tobacco Reviews says:

Now I've been to two church socials and a county fair, but I have never encountered a tobacco like Gaslight. When I lit up my first bowl, I wondered whether someone hadn't been storing potpourri in my meerschaum earlier in the week. That's how intensely fragrant Gaslight is. This I attribute to the Orientals, but the Orientals alone wouldn't account for the sheer intensity of flavor you encounter. It is as though Mr. Pease has devised a way to fuse together the spice and herbaciousness of Oriental varieties with the leather and tar of the Latakia, producing some spookily concentrated hybrid wholly unlike its constituent parts. While there's nothing overbearing here (the nicotine is moderate, the burn is even, and the virginias serve to temper and balance the mixture), the experience demands something like total concentration, like an organ concert in surround sound. In the tin, the two bars look at first small and unprepossessing, like a Jenny Craig dessert, albeit a bewitchingly perfumed one. Once you smoke Gaslight, however, those ingots take on a mysterious quality, as though someone informed you on good authority that they'd been quarried out of a black hole. If some tobaccos are all-day tobaccos and some are early-morning or after-dinner smokes, then Gaslight is a hold-my-calls, forward-my-mail, look-after-my-kids I'll-call-you-from-the-other- end-of-the-wormhole mixture. Did I mention that it is wonderful? Because man oh man it is.

The italicized phrase is my dominant impression.  The blend is stout, like a stew, full Latakia, but that's only the base. Infusing this stew are a variety of spicy Orientals that, in concert, flavor it like enough basil or thyme to deliver a gastronomical tour-de-force. I have never tasted anything where more than one, from what little I know about them, Oriental fuses with the rest quite so effortlessly, fully and wonderfully.

Yes folks, I'm saying that Pease has blended with mastery. ***** when **** is the top score. I can only say this about a handful of tobaccos I've smoked, most notably Imperial's version of 3Nuns. I'm eyeing 5 lbs in the cellar when it comes out in 8 oz tins. There are many blends that achieve exactly what they were intended to be, Stonehaven, Silver Flake, Escudo, Dark Flake, Irish Flake, FVF, BBF; because of them there a wide variety of delicious smokes available. Half the time I feel like a kid in a candy store. Innee-minnee-minee-mo. I've got more tobacco than I will most probably ever smoke. Well, you betcha I'm going lay Gaslight in on top of it.

I love Nightcap but this is two or three times better. Though lat-forward I would say, again, that is distinguished by the Orientals; I would say it is an Oriental.

Superb!

I just arrived from work to find my tin on the doorstep. My first impression on visual inspection upon opening the tin was "lat bomb" given how dark the bricks were...but Mr Pease always impresses me regarding how much complexity and flavor he can pack into his lat heavy blends, and this wasn't an exception. I'm only perhaps 1/3 of the way through my first bowl as I type this, but I'm really enjoying Gaslight.