Gathering My Cat's Bones

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This is real.

I "buried" my cat under lots of leaves in a large root-ball hole. The tree had fallen. This was last February on top of a local hill, called a such, I guess, as there are none here.

I went back to check on her at the end of March and not much decomposition had occurred. There was some white fur peaking through the leaves. I went back today and poked around a bit to try to see what was left and didn't find anything; nor did I poke deeply as I didn't want to disturb her.

I sat on the edge of the hole for awhile before I noticed little bits of ivory about a foot from where I had put her, and they turned out to be her bones. Femurs, a long leg bone, several vertebrae and perhaps the scapula. I gathered them in one hand, probably 10 pieces of bone, and made my way back down.

I thought to clean them up and then place them somewhere where I could visit with her. But then I thought that was altogether too grisly even though they might have been a lesson in transience such as training yogis find by keeping vigil through the night in graveyards.

Sorry Emily, but that would have a bit too much!

I know this is weird but I loved her very much.

So sorry for your loss brother. I don't find it grisly at all that you want to have her where you can visit with her. I worked in a forensic lab identifying human skeletal remains so I may not be the best judge though.

Jim

My beautiful Cassi, black coat with white mask and paws and bow tie.  She was the quintessential female, was her way or the highway.  Could get 3 toys in her mouth and did, pranced around the room showing everybody.  She was a sweet Chihuahua, she was my heart.  Died in my arms at the age of 15.  Cremation?..not for that beautiful body.  She is buried in the back yard in her own wooded area with a grave site bordered by brick and flowers.  I talk to her daily and she watches over the homestead...it is still HER home!  (herattitude)

I would honor your cat's "essence" her being, by marking the area where you buried her. Leave her bones together with her.

Mike

I buried my sweet little Dixie a few months ago. Before that were Uncle Mario, Gypsy, and several others over the years. All kitties, much loved.

Holding on to my Gomez for the moment. But he's old and has issues.

So I know where of you speak.

:( 

Cheers,

RR

I have a two year old now. My vet called me two weeks after Emily's death and told me I was taking her. I did, and she is a glorious kitty, full feline if you know what I mean. She apparently lived in CA for awhile and for a time with an elderly couple who fobbed her off on the vet saying that they couldn't care for her. A cat? Keep the box clean, feed them and at least be courteous and they're good to go.

Keiko the current cat I think has some Bengal as she has stripes, but on her body they are more geometric patterns with black stripes, grey in between, but if the light hits her right you can see that the grey has a faint tint of tan. Her face is striped and in fact five "racing stripes" come over the top of her head. She also has mascara. Her feet and some of her legs and lower muzzle are white. She's just gorgeous!

By temprament she is constantly wary, which I attribute to her varied geographic and owner back round. I don't think anyone loved her before I got her. She does the classic looking away posture and stands only close enough so that I can touch an inch or two of her butt; then after a few strokes moves an inch out of reach. I don't dare pick her up and put her in my lap. But she gets brighter and happier by the day, and that's what counts.

Her best mode of interaction is on her back with all four paws akimbo, but be aware, she's like a venus flytrap as she'll box your ears if you get within reach.

I get such a kick out of observing and trying to figure out the feline mind. I love dogs too but find cats far more interesting.

A lot of people don't get pets, but for those that do they provide better companionship than most humans. It's a simple equation: you love them and they love you:).

Thanks guys for understanding about my Emily, and your accounts of your own pets is reassuring in this often painful, lonely human world.

Mike, I love my furry kids dearly and when one passes I am pretty tore up. I definitely understand your sentiment! My little ones that have passes were cremated, and their ashes are in little boxes, with a picture of them next to it.

I'm trying to enjoy Keiko while she's young and healthy. The death and dying stage is inevitable and ranges, I think, from being very difficult to downright grisly.

Alfredo,
I know what you are feeling as I had to bury my young (14 mo's ) male Poncho back in June . His three "sisters" , my older female kittehs, all reacted to his death with the youngest who had become his "buddy" finally coming out of her grief this month. They DO have feelings, just as we do. I hope your new kitteh brings you as much joy as he did.

I cried liked a baby when my Cleo died, she died in my arms and I can still feel her last breath on my cheek, she is buried in our back garden, I have a Cherry Blossum tree planted on her grave so her essence now lives on in the tree, I think about her every single day, I miss my little girl very very much, I wonder if it will ever stop hurting.

I'm glad you had the courage to take on a new cat, I haven't the courage, I don't think my heart could take losing another one, you're a braver man than I Mike.

I know how you feel my wife and I had to put down our two year old dog right before summer. it messed us up something fierce. we buried him in the backyard under a little maple tree in the morning, then I had to go to work. when I got home I laid right on top off the disturbed soil for hours. losing a pet whom is loved so much is hard. we have recently got a new puppy now and it has helped heal us more than we thought possible. I hope your new kitty does the same.
We are now planning on moving and we know its gonna be hard to leave him in the yard. I think I will just take some soil with us

BTW, it's not "weird" that you loved her. It's love, love for a living entity and NOTHING is "weird" about that !

Mike:

My Tuffer...taken by an owl six years ago. I still miss her.

tuffer10.jpg

tuffer11.jpg

tuffer12.jpg

I don't have any bones. I have one whisker, taped to one of my studio monitors. That, a few photos, and some memories are all that's left. But I'll never forget her. So your sentiment isn't so weird as you think.

newjok12.png

Not weird that I loved a cat. Monbla's right on about that. Weird that I went to her grave, found her bones, carried them away and was in a quandary about bringing them home; and if home, where would I put them and what that would be like.

I think most of us that have been owned by pets understand. I know I do.

4noggins.com_Mike":nzl9ezkr said:
Not weird that I loved a cat. Monbla's right on about that. Weird that I went to her grave, found her bones, carried them away and was in a quandary about bringing them home; and if home, where would I put them and what that would be like.
Ah, well...I trust that you're in a better position than anyone else to make that judgment call.  :mrgreen: 

newjok12.png

Kind of a tear-jerker thread. Geez. :(

To all true friends
Legs two and four
Strong in our hearts
Departed long yore
Though never replaced
Exact eyes or face
May we always find more.

:heart:

Kyle Weiss":a3mx2fy4 said:
Kind of a tear-jerker thread.   Geez.   :( 

To all true friends
Legs two and four
Strong in our hearts
Departed long yore
Though never replaced
Exact eyes or face
May we always find more.
burma-10.png

There. :mrgreen: 

newjok12.png

Veet, this pic really resonates with me -

tuffer11.jpg

My pixi-bob Gomez loves laying in my guitar case too whenever it's open. Always seem to be removing the fur! Funny how they're attracted to that.

btw, isn't that a Martin case? D-18 or D-28 maybe?

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":kcsd31t5 said:
Veet...My pixi-bob Gomez loves laying in my guitar case too whenever it's open. Always seem to be removing the fur! Funny how they're attracted to that.

Cheers,

RR
RR:

Yeah, I dunno what it is about guitar cases, but they seem to gravitate toward them. The sticky side of a piece of duct tape is pretty effective at removing the hair.

You've got a good eye, amigo. That's the case for my D-28. :cheers: 

newjok12.png

Vito":tm6wvbtt said:
Brewdude":tm6wvbtt said:
Veet...My pixi-bob Gomez loves laying in my guitar case too whenever it's open. Always seem to be removing the fur! Funny how they're attracted to that.

Cheers,

RR
RR:

Yeah, I dunno what it is about guitar cases, but they seem to gravitate toward them. The sticky side of a piece of duct tape is pretty effective at removing the hair.

You've got a good eye, amigo. That's the case for my D-28. :cheers: 

newjok12.png
That was my first thought! What year is it? Looks like it might be mid-late 60's.

Cheers,

RR