Gawith FVF tin sale Oct 21st only

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Gawith FVF tins on sale at 4-noggins Tuesday the 21st only...$7.29

Looks like most other blends are in stock.

Get ready! Get set!

Wait til TUESDAY!!!

Taking bets on it still being in stock at that point! lol

I believe the sale is on Tues 10/21. Either that or I slept in for three days...:p

Would be nice if it was the entire range of SG. I have enough FVF in my cellar for me. I could definitely use a little more St. James Flake.

I've never smoked FVF but according to all the reviews I've read, this must be something sent from outer space?  Is it really that good? Should I get some?

How does this compare to C&D Opening Night?

SpeedyPete":u9fofqo0 said:
Is it really that good? Should I get some?
Oh it certainly is that good, FVF is one of those Flakes which demands a great deal more attention and care from the smoker to really be enjoyed, right packing and sipping shallow and slow will reward you with the most amazing smoking experience. Pack it too tight and draw on it like a steam train and you're going to absolutely hate FVF for it will bite the heck out of your tongue, a demanding and unforgiving smoke is what FVF is but it is also a rewarding and loyal pleasure to those who can respect it.

If nothing else grab yourself at least one tin, treat it with respect and care and you will be running back to the stores to get more, a lot more. :sunny:

Kirk's right. It is that good.

$7.29's about what tinned FVF went for about five years ago. The price for a 250g box is still better, and 250g boxes now seem to be readily available. I'm pathologically frugal, and have only ever had the 250g boxes.

FVF is a hot-pressed Virginia flake. I encourage you to get it and try it. Give yourself some enforced time with it: at first, FVF can be enigmatic and stubbornly diffident; at some point, and sooner rather than later, it will speak, and clearly. You'll be happy.

What works for me is to fold a flake lengthwise, add another half-flake, fold it up the other way in the palm, and rub it just to loosen it up and form a torpedoish bundle. Then I scoop it up with the pipe and wonder what could be simpler.

Opening Night is a C&D-style thickly-sliced loosely-pressed flake, brights-to-reds, unsweetened but naturally sweet. I don't know how it ages compared to GLP Union Square, but fresh, there's no difference I could discern last time I had both around at the same time (Autumn, 2010). I've every reason to expect that Opening Night will be sublime as little as five months after its tinned date (what I've been finding lately--i.e., the past two years--with Union Square).

SpeedyPete wrote:

"Is it really that good? Should I get some?"

Pete - It's the kind of thing where the shepherd finds himself sitting on the edge of the bed 'the morning after', a sweet young girl still asleep beside him, her tousled hair splayed across her pillow. He stares out the window in a state of awe. He wonders deep within himself how he can possibly go back to sheep after this.

And, at least for me, I've never found FVF to be either difficult or dangerous. I break it up either coarse or fine according to the prevailing wind with a finely rubbed ball at the top for 'kindling' and have never experienced bite, though I'm an aggressive puffer.

I love FVF, especially with a bit of age on it. I have 2 tins, and have jarred another 2 - 250g boxes. I am going to be ordering the 10 tin limit on this. It is one of my favorite VA flakes. I was really happy to see this sale. I was hoping he would do a sale on FVF. Happy B-day to me!!! w00t!

Everyone here has pretty much covered it well, in that you need to spend time smoking it and finding your preferred method of preparation. The same can be said with almost any densely pressed flake for that matter. As far as English flakes go, if you enjoy smoking them, FVF is quintessential. It's a true cornerstone of the Sam G product line.

Blackhorse":1jtdy7x0 said:
SpeedyPete wrote:

"Is it really that good? Should I get some?"

Pete -  a sweet young girl still asleep beside him, her tousled hair splayed across her pillow.
I wonder whether the girl is included in the deal, seeing that it comes at a discounted price? :twisted:

Well gentlemen, you've convinced me

I wil order 10 tins and if I don't like it, my pals at our club will surely "take it off my hands". I heard them singing the praise of this product to often to doubt about that.

SpeedyPete":6jw47ibi said:
Well gentlemen, you've convinced me

I wil  order 10 tins and if I don't like it, my pals at our club will surely "take it off my hands".  I heard them singing the praise of this product to often to doubt about that.
Yeah, even if you hate it, it's so popular that you won't have a problem trading it for stuff you like, especially if it gets scarce again fro some reason. I imagine if you cellar your tins for 5 years you could even make 50% profit over the original cost.