Gawith Hoggarth Bulk LOUISIANA PERIQUE FLAKE

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVDAVE

Reaction score
I had the chance to try Gawith Hoggarth Bulk LOUISIANA PERIQUE FLAKE this weekend and was very happy with this blend. I thought it wasn't as spicy as the LBF(which by the way the LBF is the best smoking experience I've had so far. Just love that taste.) Anyway is there anything comparable to the LOUISIANA PERIQUE FLAKE that I should try?

There are many VA/Perique blends to try.

GL Pease Fillmore
GL Pease Stratford
Escudo - probably the most popular VA/Perique on the market-a fine tobacco indeed. A spun cut
Davidoff Flake Medallions - also a spun cut, but with a center of black cavendish-a significant number of pipers feel that it's better than Escudo
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake - also a spun cut; I've not smoked it but my guess is that the VA in Escudo and D. Flake Medallions is better

I might give the GL Pease Fillmore GL Pease Stratford a try.

There are many, many Va/Pers on the market, but nothing even reminds of G&H's Louisiana Flake. It's my second favorite Va/Per (after Filmore), and is made distinctive by the enhancement of the Lakeland scenting process. Yummy stuff.

jj1015":tscsrosu said:
There are many, many Va/Pers on the market, but nothing even reminds of G&H's Louisiana Flake. It's my second favorite Va/Per (after Filmore), and is made distinctive by the enhancement of the Lakeland scenting process. Yummy stuff.
I agree with the above. I love me some va/pers, numerous and varied but none of them that I have tried are close enough to be called similar to the Louisiana Perique Flake in my opinion. Just like Brown Flake isnt quite like other Va/Bur, even the unscented. LA Flake is deeper, darker and richer than just about all the other va/pers that I have tried with the possible exception of Fillmore maybe, but the GH stuff just has flavors that aren't there in anything else. Well maybe SG has a version of it, but I dono.

I've never had this gh&co flake and kind of fear how much I may like it if I did. I'm already planning a huge gh&co purchase of other flakes I love. Check me down as one of the guys that prefers Davidoff flake medallions to escudo but I stock neither. Nowadays the perique I smoke isn't a simple va/per, I am going towards haddo's or even ojk. I had a love affair with Irish oak awhile ago but now I reach for haddo's anytime I would have reached for IO.

jj1015":rn3gatw1 said:
I agree with this as well - I could list a bunch of VaPers I love but none of them are much like GH&Co's Louisiana Flake.  It isn't a constant tobacco in my rotation but even as a once in a while smoke it is one I'd hate to ever be without.  I've smoked a lot of lakeland blends and to me this one is pretty mild in the scenting - still there, but very faint, almost as if it could be one of those that doesn't have added scents, but is really only scented because it is made in the same place as some more heavily-perfumed stuff.  Either way - a tasty treat for sure, IMO.

Sadly this is the only GH&Co tobacco I know of that has perique as an ingredient.  But if you dig that little extra scent of "something something" - well, enjoy the lakeland tour.  Bosun, Conniston, Ennerdale, Bob's Choc, Dark, Kendal, Glengarry, etc - there is lots of stuff to sample and (imo) enjoy.  It is all high-quality tobacco and I think many of these blends just come down to whether you like a particular scenting or not.

And if its more the VaPer thing you like, well there is no lack of those either from various blenders, many mentioned here already.  Enjoy the ride!

If you want to try a Lakeland without the Perique, try GH's Bob's chocolate flake; for a similar VaPer without the Lakelands, try Sam Gawith Louisiana Flake. But as far as I know, GH Louisiana Flake is the only one with both!

I'm a big VaPer guy. However, the dreaded ''L" character is not one I like even a little bit. Got me a big aversion to it, even in small doses.

More for you guys. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

:p (requisite monbla emoticon)

Cheers,

RR

It's not a flake or coin but my fave VaPer is 4 Noggins Prairie Wind. No Lat but just sweet/peppery smoothness.
( this emoticon is JUST FOR YOU Brew :cheers: :bounce: )

If you ever see it, Tavern Tobacco's Laurel Flake was a very popular Va/Pr flake. I thought I had one tin kicking around. But haven't stumbled across it. Must have given it to someone.