Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.: "Bright CR Flake".

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deimitori

Reaction score
The Bright CR Flake is my favorite Virginia flake.

This nice tobacco is being pushed aside by the famous Full Virginia Flake of Samuel Gawith, and in my opinion having not the acceptance it deserves.

Opening the bulk bag of this tobacco I prime the lightness perfume of "Lakeland". It is a natural aroma, not an artificial one and as I learned that "secret" aroma is coming from the flower of the plant Geranium Rose {"Rose Geranium"} (Pelargonium Graveolens).

The bright colour flakes, "shiny" and "tawny", are nicely chopped, and can be rubbed very easily and comfortably filled the bowl of the pipe.

Varieties of Virginia tobaccos from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi ripen to give a light and creamy taste. Gentle to moderate nicotine, can comfortably be the first morning pipe smoking of the day.

Delicious, with flavors alternating the natural aroma of tobacco and dry alfalfa hay, wet soil (sense of earthy soil after rain), with brief "passages" of pepper, flowers and fruits (I taste somewhere citron) but also some suspicion of cinnamon and anise.

All these result from the excellent quality of tobacco combined to make this beautiful flake rather than adding artificial fragrances. The "Lakeland" aroma sense I think it originates from the common area of production, ripening and storage of tobacco Gawith & Hoggarth. Some smokers call it "soapiness", I still did not felt it at all bad as a perfume, imperceptible to light, with an especially pleasant feeling of flowers and fruits.

By drying the tobacco yields even better, offering comfortable and pleasant smoking that can be enjoyed throughout the day.

Smoked without terrible swings and delicious surges from the top to the bottom of the bowl, some smokers may characterize it as drab or one-dimensional, I again found it delicious and very enjoyable from start to finish smoking it.

Not "bite" at all, it creates no liquid and leaves "clean" light gray ash finishes and staining very little the pipe filter.

In long-term ageing, it gets "sugars" (creating crystal sugars in the flakes) and gives an even more complex flavor, slightly sweet, creamy smoke.

I am smoking the Bright CR Flake in pipes of all types and materials (straight, bent, half bent, with filter and without filter, made by briar, olive wood, pear wood and corn combs) always enjoying a very good and enjoyable smoking.

Perhaps those smokers who are looking for more "loud" nicotine hit and stronger flavor intensity Virginia tobaccos may not be extremely charmed by Bright CR Flake.

I certainly appreciate this Virginia flake a lot and consider it an excellent pipe tobacco of highest quality that can be smoked very pleasant every time of day or night!

Highly recommended!

Thank you for a very informative review. Hadn't really thought about trying this one, but after reading your review I'll add it to my list of blends I want to try.
Thanks again. :afro:

Brewdude":22ww3qlg said:
Nice review Deimitori, but you lost me at the word "Lakelands"...

:suspect: 

Cheers,

RR
The word Lakeland is what perks my interest! CR is delightful and is tied for second favorite GH & Co. tobacco (there's Ennerdale at number one, and most of the rest of their catalog at number two).

Really good review, seems to be a good one to smoke with a great scotch like the Laphroaig or Arran.
Thank's for sharing.

Nice review - thanks!
Had a bowlful of G&H Bright CR Flake today - a marvelous Virginia pipe tobacco.

I smoked through a couple ounces of this a while back and it's a decent Virginia flake. A bit on the subtle side with only a faint wisp of floral treatment, not bad.