Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Rum Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zompoc_priest

Reaction score
So I ordered some of this Rum Flake a week ago and just got it today. All in all it's not a bad smoke. It's smooth and mellow and very pleasant much like smoking a Black and Mild Cigar. My only complaint is that that you really have to let it air out and dry out some before you smoke it. It did not take the flame very well. After it dried for a bit it smoldered and embered very nicely and left a very inviting aroma in the air. Which is nice since I smoke outside almost exclusively.

Rum flake is more Burley and, what GH calls, Sun-cured tobaccos (no, not Orientals), than Virginia. No Latakia at all. So it is quite different even in constituent tobaccos from Navy flake. With it's toppings (there is more than Rum, I can taste licorice, and more) it gives an impression of heavy sweet richness and filling that is unusual. It's not a mild blend so a bowl of this with all of its flavour is very satisfying. This one is medium strong. I found it a little too rich and heavy when new. It's not a stretch to call it the Christmas cake of tobaccos.

But with some age this is quite a different beast altogether. And I prefer it with some age so that those toppings subside a bit. Mine is 6 years aged. It loses it's heaviness and instead becomes something that is reminiscent of the original Troost Slices for me. The way the Dutch treat Burley's is now lost mostly. But Troost Slices was like a delicate pastry in flavour. I know this is just another waltz down memory lane that is very difficult for others to appreciate but this is a good part of my interest in tobaccos.

Rum Flake is a very good tobacco. And I'm going to run out of it soon. SG Navy bored me.

One of my favorite G&H blends for sure. The thing that I find most interesting about it, at least to my tastes, is how different the bulk version is from the tin. I taste almost no rum influence in the bulk, but it's definitely there in the tin. Nice take on the Navy Flake and very different from SG navy. Great smoke indeed.